RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Element Gatekeeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/624889-element-gatekeeper.html)

MrCataract 05-13-2021 06:03 PM

Element Gatekeeper

I'm not new new to crawling but still would like help at times.
I recently got an Element Gatekeeper, and i have a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540-L 4100kv motor, that im considering putting in my gatekeeper.
I'd like thoughts and opinions on using this motor and gearing?
Also if i put this motor in it, what kind of servo should i use?
I would like to put 2.2 Pro-Line Hyrax tires on it, that why i ask about the servo, i know with bigger tires a stronger servo is needed.
Any other thoughts, opinions or advice are welcome!
Thank in Advanced!

smog 05-13-2021 06:22 PM

Re: Element Gatekeeper

You can run that 4100kv motor, but you might gear down a little. You won't need that much speed in a gatekeeper.

MrCataract 05-14-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smog (Post 6080981)
You can run that 4100kv motor, but you might gear down a little. You won't need that much speed in a gatekeeper.

im going to start with 87t spur/17t pinion

meatmonkey 05-23-2021 08:32 AM

IMO, that's a but too much motor for the Enduro platform. Keep in mind it has small 5x10 pinion bearings and is best suited with a brushed, or mild brushless on 3s. Your going to love the power, but if driven with reckless abandon expect to regularly replace the axle pinion bearings. If your esc allows for some form of torque limiting then that would be helpful for keeping the drivetrain intact over the long haul. The large tires you desire also add stress to the drivetrain, further exacerbating the issue of undersized bearings.

Run the most expensive servo you can afford. I know it seems ridiculous to spend a $100+ on a little steering box, but you can either buy one good one now, or several less expensive ones over time, and be missing out on hulk strength steering while doing so.

I've been slowly converting my fleet over to Promodeler 555 and 630 servos as I can afford because they're a no BS company who makes really durable servos. I was regularly busting up Hitec 7950's, but these Promodelers are almost indestructible.

Steve g 05-23-2021 08:44 AM

Idk, I don't own that specific truck, but I'd say gear down as low as possible with that motor. What batteries do you use? 2s is probably plenty.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

HumboldtEF 05-23-2021 10:09 AM

Well is your intention to make a rock racer? thats what that motor is intended for.

MrCataract 05-25-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 6082197)
IMO, that's a but too much motor for the Enduro platform. Keep in mind it has small 5x10 pinion bearings and is best suited with a brushed, or mild brushless on 3s. Your going to love the power, but if driven with reckless abandon expect to regularly replace the axle pinion bearings. If your esc allows for some form of torque limiting then that would be helpful for keeping the drivetrain intact over the long haul. The large tires you desire also add stress to the drivetrain, further exacerbating the issue of undersized bearings.

Run the most expensive servo you can afford. I know it seems ridiculous to spend a $100+ on a little steering box, but you can either buy one good one now, or several less expensive ones over time, and be missing out on hulk strength steering while doing so.

I've been slowly converting my fleet over to Promodeler 555 and 630 servos as I can afford because they're a no BS company who makes really durable servos. I was regularly busting up Hitec 7950's, but these Promodelers are almost indestructible.

the servo im putting in it is a Protek RC 370TBL
esc will be a Castle Copperhead10

MrCataract 05-25-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve g (Post 6082199)
Idk, I don't own that specific truck, but I'd say gear down as low as possible with that motor. What batteries do you use? 2s is probably plenty.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

if im going to put an overkill motor in it, might as well run a 3s battery. no point in holding back