Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Where the eff do I start?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #1

Default Where the eff do I start?!

Hey all, I'm a veteran on the page, but have been out of the loop for quite some time now. When I exited the scene, we used crystal receivers and NiMh batteries.... now these new 2.4ghz systems, LiPo batteries and Brushless motors all seem to be the crase!.... Anyway, I need some input, I am trying to revive a comp 2.2 for basher use only, just to get back in the loop... I have Integy 55t motors, a hi-tec HS-645MG servo and a Novak Super Rooster ESC... I have a 2000mAH 20c 2cell battery 7.4v, that I thought may work. But I don't want to burn stuff up... Any input would be greatly appreciated...oh, and btw... I've done some research on this and I just can't find a definitive answer... Thank you in advance!..... BTW how can I upload pictures?!
stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Where the eff do I start?!

whatz the question again
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

How are you a veteran on this forum if you only have 11 posts?

It sounds like you already have a truck ready to run, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Can't you just charge the battery and start driving it? Or is the truck "new to you" and you have to install new electronics in it? If so, go ahead and install the motor and ESC you have, and buy a cheap 2.4GHz controller and receiver to use with it. If the controller and receiver are bought as a set, they will almost certainly be pre-bound to each other so you don't have to configure anything. (binding is a process where the controller and receiver exchange ID codes so they know they're only supposed to talk to each other, and to ignore other radio equipment in the vicinity -- something AM radios with tuning crystals could never do.)

Don't worry about burning anything up with a NiMH battery. The only way to burn-up your electronics with a NiMH battery is to hold full-throttle for way too long when the tires are jammed.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

He’s been a member since 2008… that’s how.
Sounds like he wants to convert one of his old comp rigs into a basher. Meaning you’ll want a big brushless system that can handle a 3-4s lipo. Things have definitely changed since 2008, Holmes hobbies and castle are king, can’t really go wrong with any batteries, they’re all made by the same people.
A little back story on the rig would help.
As far as posting pics, I used the Tapatalk app on my phone. But you have to have 30 posts or become a contributing member. Anyways welcome back, hope we can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stub View Post
Novak Super Rooster ESC... I have a 2000mAH 20c 2cell battery 7.4v, that I thought may work. But I don't want to burn stuff up... Any input would be greatly appreciated...
That combo will be fine, with some precaution. Lipo's can only be discharged so far, you'll need an external low voltage alarm. Easily available online or at a LHS. More modern ESC's have lipo cut-off built in, but the Super Rooster does not.

Definitely do a bit of reading up on lipo's, they are a bit more work than the batteries of yore, but well worth it.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #6

Thanks for the input guys. I've been a consistant member with the same UN on scale4x4rc for the same duration as I have been here. Since I can no longer turn to this page for help, I was hoping that this forum would be just as accommodating and I'm sure we'll get to know one another in due time.
I still want to keep my truck as a crawler, I'm just not doing any competitions. I'm also pretty excited to have dusted off the ol' fleet of miscellany that I've uncovered from the attic and get some things up to date.
Thank you all for your patience and input, as I'm sure I'll need some help.
Just to be clear... I WILL do all of the research that I can, before turning to writing a post about something that may seem like current, "common" knowledge to RC's these days.
Thanks again!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #7

This is the rig...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited by stub; 08-08-2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ok sounds like you just want a tune up on the old rigs
55t integy motors will be fine there hasent been any real advances in brushed motors in a few years so you probably wont notice th3 differance anyway
the novak rooster was the sherbert of its day but today its worse than the cheapest chinese crap you could.posably find
get 2 new escs
servo is fine if your ok with the torque it puts out but today servos litteraly move rockz there so strong and fast
nimh batterys even if the battery you have dose take a charge and i dought it will dont look back go lipo so much stronger and last forever compaired to nimh you might want to stick to 2s with that rig 3s will just break parts
for a radio you need something capable of esc mixing hence the reason for having 2 escs that way you can take full advantage of the moa set up your running
almost all.newer radios will run multiple rigs so if you have other rigs to bring back you only need another reciver and your good
if you like to tinker and solder and program get a flysky gt3c it can be reprogramed to be one hell of a controler and all the info is on this site thats about the cheapest i would go personaly and recivers are a decent price too about $5-$10 i buy mine in bulk and get them on the cheap if you dont want to tinker or deal with the funky user interface theres a more modern gt5 that has most of.the features of more.exspesive radios
if your not.on a tight buget then theres always futaba airtronics radiolink sanwa and im sure im forgeting more than 1 the main thing is esc mixing for a moa
then think about tires like the radios and escs tire have made a huge leap also
and then heres the poopie part.of it finding parts for.those axles is gona be extremely hard to find so be nice.to it
i would sugest a newer rig with strong parts suport if you want to beat on something
Old 08-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Welcome back Stub...

Ferp has some good points, even though his typing is hard to read.

What axles do you have under there? Bully's?

As long as your old equipment works, there is nothing wrong with using it in my opinion.

Radios, I like My Dx5 rugged and old Dx4c They both have plenty of programming options and have programmable switches and mixing. There are of course higher end radios. Eg Dx6r, and various other brands as mentioned. I have run Spectrum for 10 years now...

The 55t integy lathes should be fine, though I recomend a small 3s lipo 800mah -1300 they only weigh 3-4 oz and are quite small compared to even a AA pack, much less a sub C pack. the power and compact size for energy density are the largest benifits of lipo's.

Depending on how you run the hobbywing brand esc's have taken over where Novak used to be, and the programming options on new esc's will blow your mind. The hobbywing 1080 is a single motor esc that is cheap enough @40 ish bucks. The Hobby wing 880 is set up for 4s and twin motors and is also rather inexpensive.

Btw those old proline rims bring me back! I had the Chrome version on my first rig, A 4wd Wheely King converted to a Crawler.

Tires! Proline G8 is by far my favorite compound for longevity and performance.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 08-08-2021 at 11:07 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #10

You all have been very helpful, I really appreciate it. I have a futaba 3pv system that I had planned on using, so it sounds like all I really need to get started safely is a low voltage alarm for no more than I want from this rig. Thank you all again for all of the great tips and input!
Old 08-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Most motor on axle setups are kinda weak. So before you try to bash with it check on the parts availability.

To post an image use Tapatalk on your phone, pay the forum dues or use a free image host like https://imgbb.com/

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 08-14-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
You all have been very helpful, I really appreciate it. I have a futaba 3pv system that I had planned on using, so it sounds like all I really need to get started safely is a low voltage alarm for no more than I want from this rig. Thank you all again for all of the great tips and input!
If you're going to run Lipo.. don't forget a Lipo charger as well.
MyFairLadyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
you may not need a new esc but you definitly want a new esc even if you dont know it yet drive a rig with a new esc and its like going from a mechanicel speed controler to electric speed controler the difference between the rooster and any modern esc will be night and day
and the novak is only good up to 2s and even that is questionable a 2s lipo is right at the upper limits of there old escs

Last edited by ferp420; 08-16-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #14

I'm in the same boat, been gone for 10yrs and oh my have things changed!
Idahorockrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahorockrc View Post
I'm in the same boat, been gone for 10yrs and oh my have things changed!
Welcome back. Was there last year in March. LIke Wow. Been a minute and some cool shit came out.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

Where the eff do I start?! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where the eff is the so-called 2spd gone?? SwampDawg Axial Yeti 51 04-07-2015 05:23 PM
did I just eff up my paintjob? jthellfire911 Paint and Body 11 03-05-2012 11:26 AM
Eff Three Fiddy Foxracin Axial SCX-10 52 09-20-2009 10:07 PM
SCX Eff Three Fiddy Foxracin Scale Videos! 4 06-30-2009 05:03 AM
What tha eff is dig? dirty 5-thirty Newbie General 7 03-25-2009 08:15 PM