Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #1

Default New to crawling

Hey everyone! I'm new to rc crawling and just got my self a axial wraith and was looking into some motors. I'm between the hobbywing axe 550 or 540 I'm leaning more to the 540. I'd love to hear your guys input and suggestions. Cheers guys happy crawling!
PonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to crawling

2.2 or 1.9 wraith?
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
2.2 or 1.9 wraith?
Its the wraith rock racer, I got it used.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I personally always go 550 if i can fit it.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Castle mamba x and a Holmes hobbie puller pro 540 is a much better setup. But the axe is cheaper. Other then price, it beats it in every way I can think of.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Isn't the kv alittle high for crawling? Or is that more beneficial?
Old 09-13-2021, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Castle mamba x and a Holmes hobbie puller pro 540 is a much better setup. But the axe is cheaper. Other then price, it beats it in every way I can think of.

Ohh ok I will take a look at those! Iv heard of castle one of my friends has a few of they're motors in his rigs but never heard of Hobbie puller
Old 09-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Castle Copperhead 10 esc/ Holmes Puller Pro right around the price of the Axe. The Puller Pro motors are no joke. The Axe motors and escs will not work with another brand of motor or esc so I’d definitely avoid it for that reason. Castle Copperhead esc will work with any sensored or sensorless motor (except the AXE. Lol).
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
Hey everyone! I'm new to rc crawling and just got my self a axial wraith and was looking into some motors. I'm between the hobbywing axe 550 or 540 I'm leaning more to the 540. I'd love to hear your guys input and suggestions. Cheers guys happy crawling!
Neither.

I have a MambaX in Wraith and a Copperhead in another rig. I also have a few SW4s. I wouldn't go SW4 because you are more limited on motors and it is only 3S. The SW4 does not have a good internal BEC. Both the Copperhead and the MambaX have legit internal BECs offer the voltage and the AMERAGE you need for more power servos.

As far as motors? Revovlers are great for crawling but nosiey. I have a Tenkin 420 I like and if you are just crawling there are nice brushed motors but the higher end ones are $$$.

I would go Copperhead or MambaX, MambaX if you want to trail and crawl because you can turn on and off the drag brake from the controller. The MambaX also has more power options with its internal BEC.

I just started using 4s and it obviously is faster but it is also better slower.

The fusion and Axe seem to work just fine but you can't change motors down the line and they don' allow you to switch on and of your drag brake. The axe does seem to have a legit internal BEC, not sure about the Fusion.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-13-2021 at 10:15 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

In my 2.2 wraith, I run the mamba x and castle 1406 2850kv combo on 4s with a 9t motor pinion. I have no desire to change it. It crawls slow with a super smooth start up, and still has plenty of speed to bash around when I want to. Puller pros are great, but with the money you save buying the combo, it’s a no-brainer for me. If you don’t plan on ever going over 4s, you could save more money and get the copperhead esc combo with that motor. Keep in mind, that’s a lot of motor, so if you do decide to bash around, you might end up having to upgrade other areas of your drivetrain.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Isn't the kv alittle high for crawling? Or is that more beneficial?

You can always gear down.

But like many others have said, go with something from Castle or HH. The fact you are stuck with the AXE motors alone eliminate it, for me atleast. I like to have the freedom to swap motors in case I want a little faster or little slower setup.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The axe motors don't produce as much power as a similarly marked motor from another company. Which mostly means less burnouts on pavement.

In my experience the minimum speed the axe esc could turn the motor was too fast.

I have a trx4 2 speed with a 2200kv puller pro and a mamba x. I installed a 9t pinion.

Usualy it runs on 3s.
If I want to go faster I just add more voltage, up to 6s.

The old wraith, being a rock racer, is good for bashing and crawling.

Crawl on 3-4s bash on 6s.

Don't try 6s on anything over 2200kv though.

You exceed the 50,000rpm limit.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just some other general crawler advice:
2 speed transmissions generally add slop in the drivetrain, so they aren't usually worth it.

Don't buy 2s batteries, if your car is too fast, gear down.

you can gear down more with 48p gears then 32p gears, for crawling its fine, but you want at least 32p for bashing (driving fast, jumping, dirt burnouts)

learn to solder.

Keep the heavy things like the motor and battery as low as you can to prevent the car from tipping over.
Adding weight up high like metal body plates also makes the car more tippy.

A good set of tires and foams makes a big difference, you can't climb stuff you can't grab onto.

If one of your front tires keeps lifting up torsion bars help, but the best way is to reduce the gear ratio of the rear axle, (by replacing the axle(something with scx10II gears)) but thats mo money.

Don't try too hard to make one car that can do it all. (jack of all trades but master of none.) Just buy a second different car (it's probably cheaper).

And have fun, Thats what its all about.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-13-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
^^^^^ this guy knows!

Since throwing a simple HH TM sport 550 27T in my TRX4 sport, im a fan of the low-end-grunt you get with bigger can size! And (even towing 2 or 3 other rigs on a decently heavy 1/10 trailer) it Never barely even warms up!

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:08 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
^^^^^ this guy knows!

Since throwing a simple HH TM sport 550 27T in my TRX4 sport, im a fan of the low-end-grunt you get with bigger can size! And (even towing 2 or 3 other rigs on a decently heavy 1/10 trailer) it Never barely even warms up!

If you like low end grunt then try an outrunner, They will absolutely destroy a 550 any day. Less drag brake though.

I haven't seen a 550 on a dyno but its torque will be about here. Even a snub nose revolver was producing too much low end torque for the machine to measure well. The torque is linear so it should be a fairly straight line, the curve on the revolvers here is probably from the drive belt skipping teeth under load.

the green should be a 21t 550 not 27t, but its really just a rough estimate any ways.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-14-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
^^^^^ this guy knows!

The Sport is about the cheapest motor out there. For a low cost motor it is the best deal but it is not a torque monster. Step up and by a decent motor (Holmes Hobbies does make some of the best) and if you are happy with the Sport you will do flips when you try a better motor.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-14-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #17

Thank you to all of you guys! I'm learning alot and doing alot more research! I'm learning new things with every post you guys put! I'm not 100% sure what I want to pick yet but I will keep you guys posted and post pictures once I pick a set up!
Old 09-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you to all of you guys! I'm learning alot and doing alot more research! I'm learning new things with every post you guys put! I'm not 100% sure what I want to pick yet but I will keep you guys posted and post pictures once I pick a set up!
The nice thing about the MambaX is you can choose one motor today and change your mind tomorrow and the MambaX will run which ever motor or motors you choose. The Copperhead can to but I am having issues with mine and I am discovering I am not the only one.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The Copperhead can to but I am having issues with mine and I am discovering I am not the only one.
What sort of issues? I put a Copperhead in my TRX4 Tactcal “Sport-Like” running a Puller Pro V2 2200kv and have been very happy with it, but if anyone’s experiencing anything I’d like to keep an eye out for it.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
What sort of issues? I put a Copperhead in my TRX4 Tactcal “Sport-Like” running a Puller Pro V2 2200kv and have been very happy with it, but if anyone’s experiencing anything I’d like to keep an eye out for it.
It just stalls. Sometimes it is a solid green light, I have recalibrated it a few times. I called castle they said to recalibrate it and same thing but this time a high pitch noise. The steering and winch still work but no motor. I threw the SW4 back in and everything y fine.

I am sending it back for warranty.

New to crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
go crawling billr Newbie General 1 06-26-2016 11:20 AM
Rock crawling vet, new to rc crawling. LowLock Newbie General 3 02-23-2011 07:53 AM
New to RC crawling old to real crawling need help Longgun101 Newbie General 9 11-11-2009 07:05 AM
anyone crawling near vegas going to be crawling on monday or tuesday? KILLER KRAWLER Nevada 4 08-09-2009 08:07 PM