RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Newbie with a popped ESC cap, are other components affected? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/626545-newbie-popped-esc-cap-other-components-affected.html)

soapman 09-28-2021 06:07 AM

Newbie with a popped ESC cap, are other components affected?

Hey guys,
i just started into this hobby grade crawlers and bought myself an ESC. I am also fairly new to 'electronics'.

I forgot to put a heat shrink on my ESC and Motor bullet connectors and they were touching each other when I was running the crawler. This caused a spark between the connectors which was followed by the ESC cap being popped.

I got the Quicrun 1080 and was unable to open up the ESC to replace the cap. So I was wondering, if I would have to replace the ESC only or the whole system (RX, motor, servo)?

I appreciate the help.

OnTheTrail 09-28-2021 07:08 AM

Re: Newbie with a popped ESC cap, are other components affected?

Hopefully you'll only have to replace the ESC. You won't know if it effected anything else till you have a new esc to get power to the Rx and servo. Do you have another esc you could wire in just to check? Doesn't have to be an 80amp like the 1080 to just check the Rx and servo. Any esc with a built in BEC should work including an RC airplane esc.

As for being a newbie and doing this, don't worry. It still happens when you've been doing this for a while. I was so excited to try out something on a new rig, I used alligator clips to connect a HW 1060 to a battery with different style connectors and hooked the positive to the negative and poof.

soapman 09-28-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheTrail (Post 6094173)
Hopefully you'll only have to replace the ESC. You won't know if it effected anything else till you have a new esc to get power to the Rx and servo. Do you have another esc you could wire in just to check? Doesn't have to be an 80amp like the 1080 to just check the Rx and servo. Any esc with a built in BEC should work including an RC airplane esc.

As for being a newbie and doing this, don't worry. It still happens when you've been doing this for a while. I was so excited to try out something on a new rig, I used alligator clips to connect a HW 1060 to a battery with different style connectors and hooked the positive to the negative and poof.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have any other ESC laying around. My toy grade RC drift has a completely different setup. Perhaps I'll go over my friends house and test using his ESC.

Regarding the polarity, I think I sort of did that too. I read somewhere that their motor is running faster on reverse, so they change the polarity which solved the issue for them but sacrificing the torque. Also in the HW 1080 manual it did mentioned that the polarity of the motor does not matter.

So now I am not sure if its bcs the bullet connectors was touching the other wire's connetor or bcs I switched the polarity :cry:
Was so ready to tumble wumble and this happened LOL

soapman 09-28-2021 09:37 PM

**Update
I did a quick test;
The ESC still powers on, but the LED on the RX does not. So I assume the RX is busted. But I still do not know if my Servo and Motor is still okay.

Here are my specs;
ESC: HW 1080 T plug
Motor: Surpass brushed 550 5-slot
Servo: SPT 5435LV Digital Servo
RX & TX: DumboRC X6F

ferp420 09-29-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapman (Post 6094235)
**Update
I did a quick test;
The ESC still powers on, but the LED on the RX does not. So I assume the RX is busted. But I still do not know if my Servo and Motor is still okay.

Here are my specs;
ESC: HW 1080 T plug
Motor: Surpass brushed 550 5-slot
Servo: SPT 5435LV Digital Servo
RX & TX: DumboRC X6F

you could have poped the bec or battery eliminator circuit
with out the bec the rx wont get power you could try pluging a battery in to the rx and see if it works just dont go over 7.4v on the battery or else you will.fry your reciver

but it sounds like you should get a new esc anyway

even if you do get a new esc i would still try fixing the old one by replacing the cap and picking up a external bec and keeping it around for a spare

soapman 09-30-2021 07:56 PM

not sure i am confident enough to wire the lipo directly.
As for the ESC, I cannot seem to open it up. Seems to be glued shut since it is waterproof. But thanks for the advice.
I'll get an new receiver and RX to test it out and move on from there

ferp420 10-01-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapman (Post 6094422)
not sure i am confident enough to wire the lipo directly.
As for the ESC, I cannot seem to open it up. Seems to be glued shut since it is waterproof. But thanks for the advice.
I'll get an new receiver and RX to test it out and move on from there

the rx and the reciver are the same thing and im guessing there both ok lol

the plastic case around the esc should just snap together but if your not comfertable with electronics you wont want to try to fix your poped cap ether so

pick up a new esc and go from there

soapman 10-11-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6094442)
the rx and the receiver are the same thing and im guessing there both ok lol

the plastic case around the esc should just snap together but if your not comfortable with electronics you wont want to try to fix your popped cap ether so

pick up a new esc and go from there

i meant to type ESCxD. Anyway thanks a lot. Just purchased an ESC and i will work my way from there.