Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New crawler?

I've got a couple scx24s and I'm looking at getting a tenth scale truck. I'm not really into the scale stuff, but I dig the scaleish stuff. Both my 24s have the biggest tires I could find, but I dig the licensed stuff. That said, I've been looking at getting something bigger. I'm pretty set on the trx4 with the defender body, I recognize the body is the difference, but is there any difference between the kits? Are there anything other trucks you guys think I should be looking at?
Afterbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New crawler?

The "sport" versions have a single speed transmission and spools in the axles as opposed to selectable lockers. The lockers and 2 speed are fun to play with, but add weight and complexity when it comes time for service.

Have you considered the Trx4 chassis kit or Sport kit? You'll gain a better understanding of the truck from building it yourself, but at least Traxxas has there assembly quality control down pat if you do get an rtr.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

I would definitely recommend building a kit at this point, but if that's not something you're interested in, that's cool. TRX4 is definitely a good option, but I'm partial to KISS, so the Sport would be my personal choice. I have an SCX10II and I love it to pieces. Nearly unlimited aftermarket support, but the TRX4 isn't far behind in that regard.
ApostateTapir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I like trx4’s, and I think they are one of the best values available. Just keep in mind the defender is probably the least capable Trx4. And that’s mostly because of the big heavy body and long low hanging bumpers.

If you’re looking for more of a trail truck, maybe wouldn’t mind a smaller tire and adding some scale accessories, defender is a great choice. If you think crawling performance is your priority, then consider a Trx4 sport, an element enduro/ecto, or a good old fashioned scx10.2.

Honestly a Trx4 sport would be my recommendation as the best all around entry level rig. Good value, good reliability, good versatility, good performance, etc. It’s a little easier to change the body since there are no inner fenders and it’s a 12.3” wb.

Either way, get what you want, there’s not really a bad option these days, as long as you stick with the big brands, axial, element, Traxxas, vanquish, etc.

Let us know what you get!
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have 3 TRX4s in various stages of modification. I have Axial Crawlers and an Enduro. All are great, you can't go wrong with any but it seems the TRXs are more durable. Two of the TRXs I have are the upgraded version with the selectable lockers and 2 speed, one is a Sport.

The 2 speed gives you a lower first and the a second speed if you want to move faster. The selectable locker will make the RC more capable if you build it right and take the time to learn to use them.

Unlocking the rear can help you to pivot and turn better, and climb better, unlocking the front can help you side hill.

One thing that makes a crawler perform better is as little sprung weight as possible (weight above the axle). The defender and the other upgraded TRXs come with heavier bodies and added plastics. Ditch the heavy body, ditch the fenders (get after market shock mounts) and it will perform much better. There is more and more you can do, depending on $$ and how bad you get bite buy the bug.

The added weight is .6 ounce per servo and less than an ounce for brackets. The 2 speed trans is about 2 ounces heavier. The cable don't weigh anything according to my scale. The selectable diff weighs a little more but it is sprung weight so I am not concerned about that and have not weight them. On my Comp TRX4 I only use the rear selectable locker and did ditch the two speed for a one speed.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-22-2021 at 10:36 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #6

I'm super excited with my trx4 sport kit. I just wish I would have driven it stock before throwing brass at it... I bought 4 cheap scales and getting the weight distribution towards the front really helps it crawling.

Last edited by swerv512; 11-25-2021 at 06:10 PM.
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote

New crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Micro Crawler Crawler-X SMC Plus Chassis Plus A Ton Of Stuff See Video stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-14-2012 01:31 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM