Notices

Thread: Which Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Which Crawler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarock View Post
I have to say I am surprised that RedCat doesn't get more love?
That's because Redcat used to be nothing more than a re-brander selling common Chinese clones. They started to change that reputation with the Gen7, but it still has the same old huge axles & 3-gear transmission as all the other clones. The Gen8 is where they really made a solid effort to establish a good name for themselves. The current production Gen8 (the V2) is better built than the common scx10 & is just as durable as anything else out there. Don't listen to people who say they're junk. They're good trucks with a pretty decent aftermarket. My Gen8 takes a ton of abuse & I find it more enjoyable to drive than my trx4. The trx4 is a good truck, but it's not miles ahead of the Gen8. Having both, I can tell you they're very similar in quality.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

The best part about the Gen 8 is that it's kinda funny when you say it like Forrest Gump.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting a new entry-level crawler for me and my son. I'm looking at a few models and looking for advice. My short list is below. I don't mind starting small and upgrading parts, provided there available. But I would like best bang for the buck and somewhat reliability. Thanks for any advice...

RGT RC-4 136100V3

Laegendary Grando

RedCat Everest 10

RedCat Gen7 sport

RedCat Danchee

I started off with a red cat gen 8 v2, for a budget crawler it’s pretty damn good out of the box. I feel like it is just as good as any other entry level RTR’s for all intensive purposes. The portal gears are all metal, so are the diff’s. Anything you buy you should take it apart and loctite everything that’s metal. Including the pinions inside the diff’s (not sure why redcat thought it was a good idea to screw the pinion to the shaft). I lost my front and it smoked my ESC. Don’t forget to clean and grease the diffs and portals on the regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndrewRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with everyone else. You will be better off long term to invest a little more money up front for a quality brand, with good support.

If that’s just out of the question, I’d consider two scx24’s instead. Plenty of fun to be had, lots of aftermarket support, and two are better than one!

Let us know what route you end up going!

Thank you everyone for your input, it was all great advice. In the future I will revisit the models suggested but for now and my current needs, I went with a trio of SCX24's... 2 deadbolts and a gray C10 ( wanted the yellow Jeep but not much stock for those )... Because we are from New England and winter is coming quick, I figured we'd get more usage from the 24 scale because we can run them inside. If my boys get addicted, then we can revisit the 10th scale models...

So with all that said, anyone have any must do upgrades/mods for the scx24's

Last edited by Ragnarock; 11-30-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Ragnarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

TRX 4, Element Enduro or Axial ii or Deadbolt, nothing else for an RTR.

Top choice would be TRX4. It is the most durable and I think it is the most capable out of the box.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-30-2021 at 07:44 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Glad to hear! Hope you have a blast through the cold season.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
TRX 4, Element Enduro or Axial ii or Deadbolt, nothing else for an RTR.

Top choice would be TRX4. It is the most durable and I think it is the most capable out of the box.

The TRX4's are sweet, the kid in me screams yeeesss but my wallet says noooo lol... An Axial 2 isn't all to bad and may be in the future...
Old 11-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Glad to hear! Hope you have a blast through the cold season.

Ya can't wait... Only problem is, I haven't even received it yet and I'm already planning upgrades and mods lol..
Old 11-30-2021, 05:37 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ya can't wait... Only problem is, I haven't even received it yet and I'm already planning upgrades and mods lol..
and that is how we all go down the rabit hole

you and your boys are going to have multiple rigs, believe me. oh and when you do ... the TRX4 is a beast that will take the abuse ... we started about 2years ago with that one and after 1000's of miles is running strong with only 2 upgrades (metal servo horn and the metal gears for the servo) a few of the free mods , cleaned and greased regularly. Did I mentioned that is one tough Rig ... my boy was 2 when we got it and he learned how to drive and control it, yes lots of crashes and still going... out of all our rigs (fast and slow) the trx is the one that gets used by friends and family who wants to RC. Cant speak for the redcats since i have no experience.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input, it was all great advice. In the future I will revisit the models suggested but for now and my current needs, I went with a trio of SCX24's... 2 deadbolts and a gray C10 ( wanted the yellow Jeep but not much stock for those )... Because we are from New England and winter is coming quick, I figured we'd get more usage from the 24 scale because we can run them inside. If my boys get addicted, then we can revisit the 10th scale models...

Let us know how the SCX24's are.. thinking about getting one. Anyways, my cousin and I bought the RedCat Everest 10's over Black Friday.. Great beginner rigs, with affordable parts. They are quite capable with a few easy mods..

And now our other friend bought one, our girlfriends each just ordered one, and my dad ordered one as well. So time will tell how 6 of them hold up to different drivers and mods! For the price to get started, it leaves plenty for mods and repairs!

There is also a Facebook page with like 6500 members just for those.. I guess the E10 owners are either too busy playing (or fixing) to be online lol.

Though, if I felt like spending money, I think I would have gotten the Wraith Spawn!
theoldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone View Post
Let us know how the SCX24's are.. thinking about getting one. Anyways, my cousin and I bought the RedCat Everest 10's over Black Friday.. Great beginner rigs, with affordable parts. They are quite capable with a few easy mods..

And now our other friend bought one, our girlfriends each just ordered one, and my dad ordered one as well. So time will tell how 6 of them hold up to different drivers and mods! For the price to get started, it leaves plenty for mods and repairs!

There is also a Facebook page with like 6500 members just for those.. I guess the E10 owners are either too busy playing (or fixing) to be online lol.

Though, if I felt like spending money, I think I would have gotten the Wraith Spawn!
please make a thread ahout the 6 e10s that would be a fun thread

first thing take the springs off the shocks and take the foams out of the tires
those 2 free mods will free up some serios performance
some new tires a new skid plate and some weight distrabution and you got some crawlers on your hands
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

the only real must have mod i can think of is the extra batterys in hand mod lol

i never had a scx24 but i had the losi trailtrekker the only mods i did was to remove the tire foams and filled the tires with bbs but there are better options for the scx24 the losi tt dident have alot of aftermarket suport
Old 12-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone View Post

So I have received all 3, I opened mine and have played around with it a bit. I will say this, for what it is and it's size I am super impressed. I have the charcoal C10 and my boys are both getting Deadbolts for Xmas. I am already waiting on Wheels, tires and bigger batteries for mine lol.. If I can figure out how ot load a couple pics I will..
Old 12-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #34

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...=278&crop=fill

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...=278&crop=fill
Old 03-31-2022, 03:59 AM   #35

I have thought of the 24 scale like someone mentioned just not sure I'm sold on the size. riteaid survey surveyzop

Last edited by cemalsur; 04-02-2022 at 12:55 AM.
cemalsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:21 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

If you're on facebook...

sign up for RCnation Buy/sell/trade, RC auction block, rc flea market $250.00 or less, and RC crawler nation.

You can buy used rigs that are sometimes nicely upgraded for a couple hundred bucks.
Maxx_Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:39 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_Action View Post
If you're on facebook...

sign up for RCnation Buy/sell/trade, RC auction block, rc flea market $250.00 or less, and RC crawler nation.

You can buy used rigs that are sometimes nicely upgraded for a couple hundred bucks.
This. Lots of good choices there.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #38

I know some guys love their redcat’s but I’d suggest a trx4 sport kit. A few bucks more then you get to assemble it and become familiar with the rig.
mobdro

Last edited by jaanmasi527; 04-15-2022 at 03:34 AM.
jaanmasi527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

If redcat had better plastic. It's to brittle. Axial, TRX4 or Vanquish.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
If redcat had better plastic. It's to brittle. Axial, TRX4 or Vanquish.
the everest 10 has better plastic than the ax10 it was copyed from

the quality of plastics i general is getting better it would make sense the stuff being made out of the new plastics would be better

Which Crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM