Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #1

Default Which Crawler?

Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting a new entry-level crawler for me and my son. I'm looking at a few models and looking for advice. My short list is below. I don't mind starting small and upgrading parts, provided there available. But I would like best bang for the buck and somewhat reliability. Thanks for any advice...

RGT RC-4 136100V3

Laegendary Grando

RedCat Everest 10

RedCat Gen7 sport

RedCat Danchee
Ragnarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Which Crawler?

I dont have experience with any of those.

I would stick with a Traxxas or Axial out of the box.
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

As much as I'd love a Traxxas or Axial, they are just outside of my budget.. I know I can look for used, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road...
Old 11-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Element Gatekeeper kits are $239 right now. Absolutely where I'd start for a budget crawler. I'd avoid anything besides Axial, Element, or Traxxas. With the aftermarket parts available for those, you'll be better off in the long run.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Out of your list. Gen 7. But if you can get the Gen8 you'll be better off as it has the upgrades you'd need to buy (metal portal gears, better plastics/axle housings etc) that the Gen7 needs from what I've seen/read. I have the AXE Rig (Gen and so far its been pretty solid with only a few issues that ended the day (one really, popped the 1/2 shaft) otherwise it had a broke slider and a getting twisted/bent steering knuckle.

I hear a lot of Gen7 owners do like them, but see many posts on broken portal gears etc.

Otherwise a Traxxas Sport would be the next least expensive option.

Does it need to be new? You can find some good deals here on the forum for a used but good condition setup often.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I know some guys love their redcat’s but I’d suggest a trx4 sport kit. A few bucks more then you get to assemble it and become familiar with the rig.
I know it doesn’t come with electronics but if you went that route with a hobbywing 1080-$42 Holmes sport motor-$15-20 Amazon servo-$23 and flysky gt3c radio-$40 you will be light years ahead imo. Good luck in your decision either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:44 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I agree with Fricker08 for a new budget build.

Also, there's nothing wrong with buying used, you can usually get some upgrades and aftermarket parts included by buying used.
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I would go a little higher on your budget & look at the Redcat Gen8, Element or TRX4 Sport. These three are much more durable/reliable than anything on your current list. You'll spend a little more up front, but they'll be much more enjoyable in the long run.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Everybody else has pretty much hit the nail on the head, but i just want to add one thing.

Spending a tiny bit more for a better kit will be a lot more enjoyable in the long run. Youll be fixing less and driving more. And thats what it really comes down to. If youre truck is on the bench getting fixed more often, its not only going to be more money spent than say a trx4 sport, but it will also be less fun for you and your son.

Personally, I would look at an SCX10II RTR, TRX4 Sport RTR or an Element Enduro RTR. I always recommend an RTR for your first truck because it may be overwhelming having to choose electronics, tires, wheels and more. And also its instant gratification to take it out of the box and drive.

Oh yeah, Amain Hobbies has 10% off storewide. That might be enough to get a better truck in your budget. They also offer coupons for members. Send me a PM and ill give you the code for $30 off.

Just my .02

Veterans deserve a whole month too...

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-25-2021 at 10:45 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Also, you mentioned upgrading. Just be aware there is not much aftermarket support for the models you listed meaning there will be limited upgrades available.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with everyone else. You will be better off long term to invest a little more money up front for a quality brand, with good support.

If that’s just out of the question, I’d consider two scx24’s instead. Plenty of fun to be had, lots of aftermarket support, and two are better than one!

Let us know what route you end up going!
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #12

I would look hard at an Everest 10.

I would also look at the Redcat forum here. People are doing lot with them and they don't break the bank for your first crawler.
I am having fun with mine.

WVNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #13

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... I don't disagree that a trx4 would be sweet, but way out of my range. Even if I went the sport kit by the time I buy all the electronics, I'm still close to or over $400, just isn't doable . I have to say I am surprised that RedCat doesn't get more love? To be honest, my original focus was on the e10 but was intrigued by the Gen7... Redcat themselves seem to have a lot of parts options on their own... I may be able to stretch my budget a bit and possibly look at one of the scx10, but then that puts it square in line with a gen8 or a wrath?

I have thought of the 24 scale like someone mentioned just not sure I'm sold on the size.

To the gent who asked about going used, my fear in that is my lack of knowledge on what to look for as well as lack of warranty.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I definitely get it, getting started can get expensive quick.

Mind if I ask what exactly your budget is?

Old 11-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Here's a PERFECT setup...

(in my opinion, considering what you get for the money)

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL - at RPP - a GREAT hobby shop!

Element RC Enduro Gatekeeper RTR Rock Crawler Buggy
RPP Price: $399.99
On Sale!: $349.99
With FREE LiPo Battery!

If you have PayPal, you can do this in 4 monthly payments of $87.50 (no interest).

This comes with a good 5-slot 550-can motor, and you can bump up to a 3S LiPo for more power after a bit.

The body tilts up so you can easily access the internals, and the wheels are real bead-locks so the tires are NOT glued, you can swap them for a stickier set whenever you like.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/asc40111.htm

Later on, for $13.99 you can get an ESC programming card to tune your speed controller:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/asc27034.htm
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Do you one better, gatekeeper rtr with lipo and charger for $349. That’s a good value imo.

They also have just the rtr for $299, or the builders kit for $239

https://www.amainhobbies.com/element...qetzeqbzqzqctz

Old 11-25-2021, 10:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I definitely get it, getting started can get expensive quick.

Mind if I ask what exactly your budget is?

No I don't mind.. My budget is as close to $200 as I can get. The Gen7 was already topping my budget. Again the budget is that low because I'm looking at 2 rigs. I have no expectation that an E10, or Gen7 are going to match a trx4 or scx10.. For more reference, we are moving up from a pair of WLtoys 12428's... The E10 and Gen7 seem to have a pretty good following in folks getting creative and build pretty sweet rigs over time..
Old 11-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

the everest 10 is a almost exsact clone of the axial ax10 and the gen7 is a scx10 clone the quality atleast when i bought mine was pretty close to that of axial although axial has made huge changes that uped there quality since horizon took over i bought my e10 about 7 years ago the front axle.never even got opened it got moved to 2 other projects before i opened it up last year but to steel parts for a remo hobbys axle that turned out not to work out so well
the key to redcats is not to over power them especialy the e10 and the gen7 run the stock motor or close to on 2s and dont make them to heavy with a bunch of aluminum/brass and junk they live along time
the gen7 is just a scale version of the e10 same parts replacement parts are vary cheap and what most people do with there redcatz is upgrade them to axial parts as stuff breaks because there axial clones the og scx10 parts can be slightly modafied to fit on the redcats
the gen8 is in a different world its redcats first original design although its kinda close to a trx4 nothing interchanges

the e10 and the gen 7 being clones opens you up to the axial aftermarket that is huge the e10 can be made in to one hell of a capable rig and the gen7 can be scaled out to the moon and back and both eventualy become axial rigs before your eyes one part at a time till there are no more redcat pars left like i sead i had 7 good years out of my e10 before going full axial

oh one thing the e10 with basic free mods and a set of tire will crawl circles around a gen7 or a trx4 being a comp style rig the e10 has alot of potential

i know redcat has a good warrenty and ive herd alot of good stuff about it but the way i see it if i break a stock part i dont want to put another stock part on it just to break it again i upgrade and dont think about it anymore

Last edited by ferp420; 11-26-2021 at 08:11 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

heres a short video of my e10 mostly stock still using e10 axles and trans but has a custom chassie i cut myself out of a cutting board and some cheap chinese shocks and of course aftermarket wheels and tires ruptures up front and chissles out back the differance in tire size gives it just a hair of overdrive up front
this rock there is a section that goes over verticle maybe 92°and it hanges on and makes the climb sorry for the poor video quality
https://youtu.be/Mogc5pF5Md4

Last edited by ferp420; 11-26-2021 at 08:43 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #20

I got my E10 for $159 and added a 3s lipo. I got out of the local hobby store for under $200. The stock ESC is lipo compatible by moving a jumper on it. I already had a charger. My tires are take offs from my Losi Lasernut. The Integy 2.2 AX10 cage I added was $30. I have changed the rear shocks to some with internal springs that I cut. It is a lot more fun to me to upgrade something that starts out cheap and gets better with upgrades rather than replace expensive parts with more expensive parts. I am also not afraid to hack parts to do things like move the lower links.
I am new to this but have something that seems to work relatively well and actually amazed me at what it can run right over compared to my other RCs like my Lasernut which is fun too but a completely different drive.
WVNed is offline   Reply With Quote

Which Crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM