RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Back to RC after a decade (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/627468-back-rc-after-decade.html)

Brplatz 12-20-2021 11:34 AM

Back to RC after a decade

Hey All,

Considering getting back into RC Crawling (or RC anything)

I had an old Rustler with mechanical ESC way back, then eventually got an AX10 that I modified, brazed my own tube frame, etc. Then flew a Trex 500 heli for a while.

Considering a TRX4 kit or other DIY (i like to build my own stuff, so not sure 100%), getting my own electronics and batteries. 3S lipo, etc

Guess other stuff i am considering is a basher or some FPV drone. Any thoughts?

Thanks

twade984 12-20-2021 11:50 AM

Re: Back to RC after a decade

Trx4 is a great choice. I’ve built both kits, and they are well thought out, made of quality materials and have plenty of performance for their intended purpose.

The new vanquish vs410 Phoenix kit would be a good choice as well, if the kit plus electronics will fit your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brplatz 12-20-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twade984 (Post 6102146)
Trx4 is a great choice. I’ve built both kits, and they are well thought out, made of quality materials and have plenty of performance for their intended purpose.

The new vanquish vs410 Phoenix kit would be a good choice as well, if the kit plus electronics will fit your budget.

That vanquish looks awesome! I really like the look of that. Much appreciated

twade984 12-20-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brplatz (Post 6102150)
That vanquish looks awesome! I really like the look of that. Much appreciated

For sure! I heard they should be getting more in stock in January fyi.

If you end up going with a kit that doesn’t include electronics, then most people (myself included) would recommend a Hobbywing 1080 Esc, Holmes hobbies Crawlmaster sport motor, ds3235 servo from eBay or Amazon, and a Flysky gt5 transmitter/receiver.

All that can be had for around $155 pretty easily. Cheaper if you use coupon codes and bargain shop. That’s a great electronics setup for the money.

smog 12-20-2021 12:38 PM

I like twades advice. The trx4 and VP Phoenix are great trucks ...unless you have an aversion to Portal axles. Then look at an Element Enduro Kit....or hell, check it out anyway. The builders kit is best value on the market in my opinion. Just need to pick out your dream body and wheel/tire combo. Ultra easy, ultra custom.

Brplatz 12-20-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smog (Post 6102153)
I like twades advice. The trx4 and VP Phoenix are great trucks ...unless you have an aversion to Portal axles. Then look at an Element Enduro Kit....or hell, check it out anyway. The builders kit is best value on the market in my opinion. Just need to pick out your dream body and wheel/tire combo. Ultra easy, ultra custom.

I dont have any experience for or against, so I am open to anything really!

I guess I could start buying some of the electronics, and pick a kit later?

Thanks

Timmahh 12-20-2021 06:53 PM

SSD Trail King Kit.

Yes,, you could get quality electronics as most of them will go into all these kits just the same.
Food for thought though. Some rigs use Micro servos for shifting, dig etc. not all, but a majority of them.

VP generally used full size servos for everything.

SSD Trail King is a straight axle kit, though SSD sells portals to convert over.

Ots 12-20-2021 08:13 PM

Drones get boring really fast unless video is a hobby or job.

Today's electric FBL helis will certainly hold your attention though!

I'm building a 2WS Capra but adding 4WS to it. I think I'm going to like it - had my doubts at first.

Have my eye on MOA though and can't seem to quit looking at the Dlux stuff. I'll probably do that (Mercenary chassis build with 4WS) as a next project and I kind of wish I had tackled it first before the Capra.

I'm getting into crawling really late I guess. It looks like it peaked about ten years ago, not that when it peaked has any bearing on anything.

It's just odd going to crawler web sites and the last update was like 2014 or something! Lol!

Timmahh 12-21-2021 10:24 PM

Crawling is bigger today than it has ever been.

Timmahh 12-21-2021 10:25 PM

Forums have died, not the crawling. lol
Fakebook has 1000s of rc groups. sadly

Ots 12-22-2021 09:05 AM

That's good to hear. So I'm not seeing it because I'm not on fakebook. OK!

Brplatz 12-23-2021 05:15 PM

So looks like I may get the Vanquish. I like what it has to offer.

https://i.imgur.com/x3t7vuv.png

Any changes to offer? I am grabbing a charger, 2 cheaper servos and the RX/TX off amazon. Goodbye $1k, hope its worth it :mrgreen:

twade984 12-23-2021 05:42 PM

I would grab an ovonic air 3s pack from Amazon or eBay, and I would highly recommend the Holmes shv800, or 650 instead of the savox. The SHV500 is cheaper still, but it’s not anywhere near as quiet as the 800 or 650.

Brplatz 12-23-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twade984 (Post 6102519)
I would grab an ovonic air 3s pack from Amazon or eBay, and I would highly recommend the Holmes shv800, or 650 instead of the savox. The SHV500 is cheaper still, but it’s not anywhere near as quiet as the 800 or 650.

Sounds good on the servo situation. The battery pack thing is a nightmare it seems. They all seem like knockoffs. Any trusted brands anymore?

twade984 12-23-2021 06:39 PM

I’ve had no issues with my ovonic air packs, that’s about all I’ve used for the last couple years. Tattu is made by gens ace, and I think a little more affordable than what you typically find at the hobby shop.

I haven’t done much research on battery stuff though. My assumption is they are probably all made in the same overseas factories.

Ots 12-23-2021 07:20 PM

I just buy H-King packs (cheap) and treat them right and I've not had any problems but I would imagine the tomatoes are already starting my way.

Just before I read about you're considering a Vanquish I was thinking it might be cool to do one with 4WS just for the fun of it - not that it needs it or anything.

I just finished my 4WS Capra and I already wish I had selected a Vanquish or Dlux instead.

Ninomaniac 12-23-2021 11:41 PM

Ovonics and Hobbyking here too.

dCowler 12-26-2021 06:08 PM

Welcome back to the addiction!