Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Opinions on Crawler choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Opinions on Crawler choice

I'm looking to get a crawler soon. Axial Capra or TRX4 Sport? (and both are in stock at my local hobby shop!)

I'll just be having fun on the rock formations in the mountains of Southern Oregon, not planning on any competitions. The Axial seems to be the most capable crawler of the two, so I'm leaning that way, but the TRX4 Sport seems to still do pretty well from the YouTube videos of seen!

I would be buying either in RTR and upgrading bits as I go.

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance!
Hamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Opinions on Crawler choice

Either one is a good option, and you pretty much said it yourself, Capra for more extreme crawling, or Trx4 sport for a little more all around usage.

The sport is a little more versatile as far as changing bodies, and if I recall correctly, slightly cheaper.

As a first rig I would probably lean towards the Trx4, but if you see yourself just sticking to the rocks and wanting more performance, get the Capra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

you need to be honest with your self your gona get both of them thats how this hobby works
you think 1 is good enuff then you wake up one day and theres no room to walk cause the rcs are taking up all the floor space lol
ok maybe its just me
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
you need to be honest with your self your gona get both of them thats how this hobby works
you think 1 is good enuff then you wake up one day and theres no room to walk cause the rcs are taking up all the floor space lol
ok maybe its just me

Sometimes you have to let people learn the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:05 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

There are a few things I would ask yourself because it really comes down to what's most important to you.
If going over the steepest rocks, biggest side hills and just overal crawling performance is your highest priority then the capra is probably your best bet.

The TRX has more of that scale truck look, and there is a lot more you can do to make it look scale. If you wanta rig that you can adjust the look of, the TRX is your better choice.

Personally, If i took a TRX 4 and a Capra up a course, and the TRX4 did even 90% of what the Capra did, I would call the TRX4 the winner. I would be mad that my Capra didn't do more, simply because the Capara looks like it should. It looks like a comp rig. So, some people like myself, find more satisfaction in a truck that "looks like it shouldn't be able to" and DOES.. even if it's not technically as capable.

The TRX-4 is also my personal choice for if you want to do trail running. I find the Capra just doesn't suit the trail.

In the end either rig will be really good, so you can't make a bad choice really. It's just what weight you put on things like looks, capability, scale realism, versatility.
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IMO, if a person were restricted to just a single rig, I don't think there's a better choice than the TRX-4 Sport Kit. It's capable enough out of the box, but the real strength of it is that you can make absolutely anything you want out of it, and the aftermarket parts support is second to none. I think the RTR Sport is a bit of a false economy, because you'll be replacing all of the electronics at one point or another-- if you drive the with the XL5 and that immediately after with a $40 Hobbywing 1080, the difference in smoothness and control is incomparable. Spending a little more at the start on electronics + the Sport Kit will save money in the long run.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
ok maybe its just me
LOL! Yeah, I have a 22T stadium Truck, a B6 buggy... and a DJI drone already.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

If you are leaning towards a Capra, be sure to get the new 4-wheel-steering release. It will start you off out in front of the game.

It you are planning to just hang in spots and crawl techy rock lines, a 4ws Capra gets my vote. As mentioned above, if you plan to run trails and want something with more diverse application start with the TRX4.

While they are both solid axle rigs and can be fine tuned to a barely detectable crawl, the TRX4 can be weighted to look good bombing trails. The Capra is really about being light above the axles and will look clumsy run as trail rig.

That is my take anyhow.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If it’s your 1st crawler I’d absolutely recommend the TRX4 Sport kit. It’s simpler in design, easier to make adjustments to, and very capable. Start with inexpensive decent electronics and you’ll have a blast. I have over a dozen crawlers including 3 TRX4s and a Capra. The Capra will hand the TRX4 it’s ass on the rocks, but the TRX4 is the better rig for multiple driving terrains. There was a day that I told myself that I’m only going to have 2 crawlers, 3 MAX. Well, we all know what happened next……..
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamur View Post
LOL! Yeah, I have a 22T stadium Truck, a B6 buggy... and a DJI drone already.
ya those have there place but crawlers are differnt

just know what ever rig you chose its just a jumping off point

it dozent mattet wich one you get first

personaly im not found of traxxasss as a company and axial is much better to deal with in my opinion but due to the stranght of the trx4 i think it would give you the most stoke for your doller

axials tend to need a lot of upgrades out of the box but thats nothing a few hundred dollors wont solve lol
Old 01-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have both, it will be a lot of fun whatever you do.
If driving only, get the Capra RTR. If tinkering/upgrading and driving, get the TRX-4 Sport.
stigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

After being into these toy trucks for a few years, I've realized that between performance and scale appearance, appearance is more important to me. Which is why I'll never buy a Capra. They sure can crawl, but I think they're butt-ugly.

I'm happy to have mediocre performance on a great looking scale truck. My choice would be the TRX-4.

On an importance scale of 1 to 10, I'd say performance is a 7 to me, while appearance is a 9.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #13

I think the thing I don't like about the TRX4 (or other scale bodies) is the tires rubbing the fenders, and sounds the bodies make when they inevitably hit/scrape rocks. So If I went with the TRX4, I'd probably cut a good portion of the body away! LOL. That being said, I have seen a few TRX4 videos where people did just that, and it still looked pretty good!

It's a weird complaint, I know, but it's just me.

For a hot minute, I was even considering a Gmade R1 kit!
Old 01-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think the thing I don't like about the TRX4 (or other scale bodies) is the tires rubbing the fenders, and sounds the bodies make when they inevitably hit/scrape rocks. So If I went with the TRX4, I'd probably cut a good portion of the body away! LOL. That being said, I have seen a few TRX4 videos where people did just that, and it still looked pretty good!

It's a weird complaint, I know, but it's just me.

For a hot minute, I was even considering a Gmade R1 kit!
ok have you considered something like a wraith or bomber or a hybread

like the element gate keeper thats a c channel frame with a tube buggy on top and you can always remove the tube body and add a scale body later that way you have options

although i would never recomend only one truck but having options makes it almozt like have more than 1 lol
Old 01-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
ok have you considered something like a wraith or bomber or a hybread

like the element gate keeper thats a c channel frame with a tube buggy on top and you can always remove the tube body and add a scale body later that way you have options

although i would never recomend only one truck but having options makes it almozt like have more than 1 lol
Thank you for the ideas. The Wraith was initially on my list of possible choices.

I more interested in pure rock crawling. My 22T does all the bashing I need with speed and jumps. I just want a crawler now. Portal axles are on the top of my list as well, as I like the clearance. They are great for the jagged terrain of the mountains near my house

lol, I'm still watching YouTube daily of rock crawlers, trying to make up my mind. I'm not in a hurry...
Old 01-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have seen people try to comp Capras but never do that well. They are usually competing against more modified scalers (probably less experienced drivers) so it may not be a far assessment but they didn't seem to do as well as I thought they would. I really don't do trail stuff so I really don't know about that.

As far as the Wraith? I have an older 2.2 and is not the best crawler either but fun bashing around. I have it setup with a MambaX and a HH 3300 Trailmaster on 4s. It is more stable faster then my more comp oriented crawlers.

The TRX and the Capra are really to different to compare.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have a totally different experience than MOGuy.

To answer your question though the Trx4 for a first crawler is what I would pick. It is a durable rig that has a very strong aftermarket. The Capra performs stock for stock a little better but not much and feels light compared to the Trx4, if that is what you are looking for.

I have driven both the Capra and Trx4. My experience is they feel tippy and unstable. They are a different driving experience for what I am used to. I typically like the belly low on my rigs and they are not like that. In scale comp, the Capra will be classified as Class 3, and reality a class 2 rig will take it easily, my Trail King walks circles around my buddies Capra and my other buddies highly modified Trx4 goes toe to toe with it.

My TK, and the Trx4....

TK and Trx4's, and Capra

My 2.2 Wraith will destroy them in all but narrow gates. It has a longer reach, and wider stance, it was built low (90mm shocks) and has mild weight in the wheels. (2oz in each front wheel)Its also very light for a Wraith sitting @6lbs 4oz, before installing a battery. Oh and the servo let go in the first battery pack and the esc on the second. I blame big tires and tall gearing. I am now running a Savox 1210s and Castle Copperhead 1900kv combo in it.

Reality is there is not a bad choice from the major players in rc, (Traxxas, Axial, Element) If you find one that really grabs your attention get it.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 01-03-2022 at 06:49 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I have a totally different experience than MOGuy.

To answer your question though the Trx4 for a first crawler is what I would pick. It is a durable rig that has a very strong aftermarket. The Capra performs stock for stock a little better but not much and feels light compared to the Trx4, if that is what you are looking for.

I have driven both the Capra and Trx4. My experience is they feel tippy and unstable. They are a different driving experience for what I am used to. I typically like the belly low on my rigs and they are not like that. In scale comp, the Capra will be classified as Class 3, and reality a class 2 rig will take it easily, my Trail King walks circles around my buddies Capra and my other buddies highly modified Trx4 goes toe to toe with it.

My TK, and the Trx4....

TK and Trx4's, and Capra

My 2.2 Wraith will destroy them in all but narrow gates. It has a longer reach, and wider stance, it was built low (90mm shocks) and has mild weight in the wheels. (2oz in each front wheel)Its also very light for a Wraith sitting @6lbs 4oz, before installing a battery. Oh and the servo let go in the first battery pack and the esc on the second. I blame big tires and tall gearing. I am now running a Savox 1210s and Castle Copperhead 1900kv combo in it.

Reality is there is not a bad choice from the major players in rc, (Traxxas, Axial, Element) If you find one that really grabs your attention get it.
I got my 2.2 when I was building my C2 (1.9xl) my C2 and 3 (2.2 scale) aren't really SORRCA legit, more like cheater rigs based on SORRCA, less of a body and scale points don't matter.

I tried to make the Wraith work but it just was too big and to much torque twist. I did put a MamabX and HH Trailmaster 3300 and run it on 4s. It is allot of fun, but for technical crawling it just didn't work for me.

Last edited by MOguy; 01-03-2022 at 08:30 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #19

That Toyota body (orange I think) looks sweet. I really like the tires having room to not rub the body!

Also, do you find Portal axles to be a lot better for rock crawling, or do you feel straight axles still compete equally?

Last edited by Hamur; 01-04-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:06 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That Toyota body (orange I think) looks sweet. I really like the tires having room to not rub the body!

Also, do you find Portal axles to be a lot better for rock crawling, or do you feel straight axles still compete equally?
The Toyota body was trimmed to clear these tires specifically, they just rub at full stuff.

As far as portals vs Straight axles, it depends on your driving style. Portals give you more clearance, but straight axles tend to hold the cg lower.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 01-04-2022 at 05:17 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Opinions on Crawler choice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next crawler choice. offroad1911 General Crawlers 10 12-04-2021 09:49 AM
Crawler choice? Ranch Ranger General Crawlers 12 01-23-2019 11:35 AM
Opinions on new ride choice. EMUTT General Scale Talk 8 11-08-2014 09:45 PM
tire choice for my first 2.2 crawler. Tom94offroaduk Newbie General 13 12-29-2010 12:25 PM
My First Crawler..Did I make the Right Choice... locktite Newbie General 7 01-17-2007 12:03 PM