Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Old dog returning...maybe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2022, 03:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Old dog returning...maybe

Been toying with idea of getting back into this madness......first step, see if I can remember my Rccralwer password....holy crap! I got it! Only took 4 tries....
Next, see what is what now......oh, so the AX10 isn't the only player anymore.....mmmm...

Now I got that stupidity out of my system......
What should I be looking at? What brand platform?
I'm not a fan of rtr.....I'd rather build it, so I know what it is, how it works.
That said......does that sort of thing even exist anymore?
Not sure if I wanna go down the scale route....definitely don't wanna go down the Super route.....1.9 v 2.2 .......prefer 2.2.
I got a fair understanding of the basics, got some idea of gear etc, know how to work out what what is good and what is junk.....
Just need some direction on what brand platform. What is well supported in the aftermarket world. Actually, WHERE is the aftermarket world? Use to be here......
Assuming FB groups for that now?
Anywho, any help, flaming etc much appreciated.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2022, 04:04 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Old dog returning...maybe

A good start is to browse through the fora here.
You get a sense of where the activity has been over the last years.
Good luck
stigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It you want a kit, it sounds like you want to look at the Capra and add 2.2 tires. There is a company that makes a sporty chassis that you reuse the skid and links. AX10 style rigs are now custom builds.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Welcome back! Theres still alot of great people here n tons of info n build threads. I dont do fakebook, but i hear from alot of people its not worth a flip for info.

As fot aftermarket support, axial, traxxas, n vanquish are pretty well top of the list. Axial scx10 ii is a great platform with tons of upgrade parts. They recenty came out with the scx10 iii, people tend to be on the fence with it though. Traxxas has the trx4, which is a great platform as well. Itll take a beatin pretty good. Theres quite a bit of aftermarket for the trx4 as well. Theyre a portal axle rig, but there is a straight axle conversion for it. Then theres the vanquish vs4-10. It come in a few flavors now, the pro which is a straight axle n the ultra which is a portal axle rig. The vs4-10 is a kit truck, no electronics, n they are a bit pricey but worth they money. Vanquish just recently released a new kit thats a bit more inexpensive, the phoenix portal. New axle design, new vfd twin trans which has selectable o/d n dig. Its a great build, definantly goina pick up another. Havent got to drive mine yet, its been in build mode since i got it, back before thanksgiving iirc. Im using a gspeed v3 cf chassis. Build thread in the 1.9 section called the bama phoenix.

1.9 is pretty well the go to these days. There still some 2.2 rigs here n there. As for aftermaket buying, i use ebay or go straight to the source. Alot of people have good luck with amain, rpp, tower hobbies, horizon hobbies etc. Horizon bought out axial n proline not long ago.

Check things out n if u need any help, theres alot of us here, just ask away
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

scalers have kinda taken over they have become so capable they blure the line between scale and comp true crawlers like the ax10 arent really that big at this time
the up side is redcat still sells a comp style rig the everest 10 but thatz about it and the quality of those e10s is about what you would exspect from a chinese ax10 clone

the really good news is there are so many choices to build a custom rig with and most of what is.coming out now days is realy high quality so its kinda hard to.make a bad choice and anything you.choose.will likely be leaps and bounds above what your used.to working with
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Not much in the way of custom builds going on here, like the old days.

Current builds are more in line with look what I bought and installed on my Trx4/ AxialScxIII/ Element Enduro...

Kits...
off the top of my head, Traxxas has a scale rig, and Kits...
Axial has the 10III kit and 10II Raw builders Kit, RYFT kit, Capra kit
Element(AE) has the gatekeeper kit, Trail truck Kit,

Then there is SSD, they have a scale truck kit only.

Vanquish as mentioned has 3 kits only

As mentioned Scale trucks has taken over, they will pull lines Shafty's used to, so its not terrible.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've said it before and I'll say it again right now: TRX-4 Sport Kit. You can make anything out of it. It's absolutely capable box-stock with $100 worth of electronics.
You can go crazy with it, you can turn it into a basher and jump it off ramps at the skatepark. It has aftermarket support like no other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Not much in the way of custom builds going on here, like the old days.
How custom does it have to be to qualify as custom? VS4-10 chassis + Amazon dig gearbox + TRX-4 locker axles =

Low-speed control? The FDR is 94.5 : 1. On 4S, of course.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

axial has a much better aftermarket than traxxasss hands down
and a custom rig could be anything from bolting on parts to making your own frames bodys axles and gearboxes
most people think of custom as being a one off build.something you cant.just.buy parts for and bolt them together

the trx4 is a jack of all trades but master of non it was pretty inovative when it came out but now its just old and the market has moved on there still good rigs though almost all of the rigs on the market theze days are good rigs you almozt cant go wrong

Last edited by ferp420; 01-10-2022 at 09:15 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I too am just coming back to the scene from the AX10/Losi comp crawler days, like a dummy i sold or gave away almost everything. The MOA rigs were just starting to take off then as well. Picked up a Capra for my son yesterday which seems almost as capable as my 2k plus ax10 build. BUT i want something cutting edge for myself and doing research is tuff. Are MOA's dead? Seems like the super small chassis comp rigs aren't popular anymore either.

All i see out there are scale rigs and straight chassis stuff like the G Speed. Guess my question is, what rigs are winning the top level comps these days? Shoot even finding current info on classes is tuff
wheelspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:41 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I’m just getting back into things from the Axial XR10 days. It’s a shame the comp crawling days went bye bye. They’re so much more capable. Scale is awesome, but MOA is just so cool. I hope it makes a comeback. Honestly I’m just rebuilding my XR10 now and that will be so much fun. After, maybe a SCX6 or SCX 10 III.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Curious how an XR10 would stack up head to head with a well built G speed rig?
wheelspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
Curious how an XR10 would stack up head to head with a well built G speed rig?
A well balanced xr10 would walk all over any shafty/scaler
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old dog returning...maybe - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning to crawling need advise! Abrown83 Electronics 2 09-22-2017 08:44 AM
RECON G6 returning to LV prime_310 Nevada 3 07-17-2013 10:17 PM
Returning to r/c, so yes i have a ? Sven Chen Newbie General 9 02-08-2010 10:34 AM
smart dog,,or bad dog?? **nws** tony tt Chit Chat 14 03-17-2007 11:53 PM
hopefully returning Bknight Chit Chat 15 03-15-2007 12:24 PM