Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Trx 4 bronco or defender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2022, 05:01 AM   #1

Default Trx 4 bronco or defender

I am looking to purchase either the defender or the bronco. Is either better than the other for a beginner ?
Scott Tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2022, 05:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trx 4 bronco or defender

I think the Bronco body is lighter and looks good. I think the Defender is about the ugliest TRX ever. Any weight you can loose above the axle will make the RC perform better.

This is assuming you are talking the old Bronco. If you are talking the new style Bronco, that body is lower which is good but has some special mounting system so I don't know if there is a weight advantage. In my opinion the new bronco isn't as ugly as the Defender but doesn't look as good as the old Bronco.

Last edited by MOguy; 02-10-2022 at 06:44 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've got both. Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to scale it out with a lot of accessories, the Defender has many, many more available currently. For performance right out of the box, the Bronco would get a slight nod as the body is not as heavy. One other consideration is the body removal method. The Bronco is probably the best in the industry at the moment. If price is a consideration, the Defender lots about $50 less from what I'm seeing.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Given the options I’ll assume you’re not out to get a rig to comp, but to get into the hobby with and have fun. If pure crawling performance was the goal, there are obviously much much better options out there. Whichever one tickles your fancy the most, get that one. Just have a blast and decide later if/how you want to tweak it for what you want.
FWIW, I have a dozen plus crawlers/trail rigs. Most have been tweaked to some degree, but the most recent rig I wanted (that my mother in law got me for Christmas. Still on backorder but will get here eventually) is the Gmade Sawback 4LS. Want one because it’s cool looking and I know it’s definitely not a great handling rig. Get what appeals to you.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tighe View Post
I am looking to purchase either the defender or the bronco. Is either better than the other for a beginner ?
To answer this specific question, can’t go wrong with any of the TRX4 models for a beginner. User friendly and proven durability (electronics reliability is a coin flip, as is with ANY rtr vehicle so run them until they give up and replace as needed).
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #6

My goal is to do some moderate crawling and trailing driving
Old 02-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Both are equally capable depending on what mods you do but the most significant drawback imo with the defender is that it's more top-heavy than the bronco and the body hangs over the axles a bit further so it gets hung up more often. My bronco has better approach and departure angles because the body is shorter and sits a bit higher than my defender but my defender is a bit more capable on hill climbs and through certain obstacles due to the narrower body width, slightly longer wheelbase ( 12 mm longer than the bronco) and because it has a little more weight over the axles than the bronco. On the rocks and thru a lot of off-camber situations ( due to the slightly shorter wheelbase, better approach and departure angles, and shorter body length) my bronco takes the win but again... it's really negligible when you consider the plethora of upgrades that can add or reduce weight in certain locations as well as all the different wheel, tire, and foam combinations out there.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #8

Thank you for the responses
Old 02-10-2022, 09:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Like everyone else has said, not too much difference between the two. And if you get one and decide you want the other, you can convert yours with either a longer/shorter wheelbase kit and the body.

Me personally I’d get the Dentside. I think it’s the best looking TRX4 out of the group, and also I’m a ford guy lol. My whole collection consists of Fords at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The basic TRX4 chassis and electronics are the same between the Defender and both versions of the Bronco. Each model has a different inner fender configuration but that is a functon of the body. Just pick the body style you like the best you will not be disappointed with any of them. Just be advised that a lot of owners start replacing the Traxxas electronics, specifically the steering servo, pretty soon after buying. The TRX4 also responds very well to portal weights and is one of the first upgrades most owners perform.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-13-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:23 AM   #11

Traxxas parts support can not be beat, you'll be fine with whichever you like.
ShapeShifter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Okay, anxiously waiting...

Which one did you choose?
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:57 AM   #13

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I’m pretty sure I’m going with the grey defender. I really like the look of it, the bronco also looks amazing but the defender is just a little ahead in my opinion
Old 02-13-2022, 06:05 AM   #14

The bronco and defender may look good, but they are really top heavy with that body. Something to think about for when you actually go crawling.
ShapeShifter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:32 AM   #15

Ya I’ve heard, do you have any recommendations?
Old 02-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I know you're not addressing this to me but just wanted to say ( since you're leaning towards the Defender)...

Mine is super capable despite the weight of the body. Not that it ever performed badly out of the box, but one thing that I did to make it perform better was to remove the cargo rack. I left the exo-cage in place but just taking off the cargo rack and adding weight down low around the axles and wheels made it perform like a champ. And like I said previously, it outperforms my Bronco body trx4 in many conditions. My buddy on the other hand made his Defender into a top-heavy pig by adding weight down low but also up top with a ton of cargo-rack accessories. His still performed well but once it got too steep or too off-camber, he'd wind up with it on it's side or upside down. Plus he had really soft foams which didn't help.

Anyway... just some food for thought.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It all depends on you. No right or wrong answers, just trade offs.

If you really want performance you have to loose every single ounce you possible can esp above the axles. Then you add back weight if needed below the shocks and forward. You are fighting gravity, ALL weight will pull you down. You can add weight low to off set higher weight to help but it is still weight and gravity will win.

I like to comp. Where I like we go C1 and then basically cheaters. My C1 body (lexan) is HEAVY for my standards at 7 ounces. I bet that would be less than half a TRX body. Even than it has a full interior and driver (not a TRX build). My other bodies are under 4 ounces. I use light weight electronics. I have eliminated shaved every piece of plastic I can. My motors is just over 2 ounces, so are my ESCs and wiring (except one is closer to 3 ounces). I have chassis to sit everything as low as possible and a skid designed to slide over obstacle's. My RCs range from 5.5 to 6lbs and just over 7lbs for my TRX 4ws build (heavy by some standards).

Last edited by MOguy; 02-14-2022 at 06:03 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:27 PM   #18

I appreciate the feed back, I actually found a local used bronco for a decent price so I’m going to grab that and just mess around with it and see what I struggle with and upgrade from there.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I appreciate the feed back, I actually found a local used bronco for a decent price so I’m going to grab that and just mess around with it and see what I struggle with and upgrade from there.

Great choice! The dentside was my first TRX4 as its my favorite ford body style.

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Great choice! The dentside was my first TRX4 as its my favorite ford body style.

... with just a few extra dents!

Trx 4 bronco or defender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX Defender wrap Uncle Pete Paint and Body 2 01-20-2021 10:46 PM
TRX-4 Blazer/Bronco or TRX-6 Mercedes? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 22 08-14-2020 08:25 AM
MIP TRX-4 Bronco/Defender 4mm Offset Wide Track Kit Liveaxle Traxxas Crawlers 0 09-09-2019 09:54 PM
Tuanies' TRX-4 Defender & Bronco build logs tuanies Traxxas TRX-4 43 04-22-2019 08:42 PM
TRX-4 Defender & Bronco sickpuppy Videos! 0 10-21-2018 04:35 AM