Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: No Idea in need of Education

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2022, 01:04 AM   #1

Question No Idea in need of Education

Greetings from Outback Australia ... and Thanks for all the Help I am about to receive
For years I wanted a axial XJ Cherokee But fixing real XJ's took up all my time and $ and now I believe you cant buy them anymore
As I live in the Outback and have to get everything online I thought I did the next best thing .. I got of eBay the injora 1/10 scale chassis with wheels and motor and a injora XJ hard body to build.
As this is my first build I want to keep it simple and learn along the way.
I don't know anything about RC Electronics except for what I have seen on YouTube ..
I want to keep it simple and inexpensive being my first build But I would like head lights and a light bar ..... I have read you can have tail lights reverse lights stop lights power winches that's unreal.
So what do I need to make it GO! ..................
I know I need a Transmitter .. what sort? A receiver a steering servo and a engine control thing? And of course Batteries and a charger ..
I don't want cheap rubbish but don't want to spend a fortune on my first build I will be happy if it drives with lights So are there any electronic packages out there (plug n play) or like most things get this brand for that and that brand for this component?
Once again Thanks for all your advice
RealJeepOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2022, 01:40 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: No Idea in need of Education

First, I assume RPP Hobby will ship to you, so granting that assumption, www.rpphobby.com is a great place to get everything you're looking for.

For the ESC (electronic speed control) most people on this forum really like the Hobbywing 1080. I've never used one, but I've heard enough good about it that I'd be happy to run one. They're pretty cheap too.

For a motor, I'd look at some of Holmes Hobbies cheaper brushed motors. Such as the Trailmaster Sport 540, 27T. Also, pretty cheap.

Steering servo? Did your kit come with any servo horns? I ask because different brands of servos come with different tooth counts on their spline (where the horn mounts). If you already have a servo horn, you want a servo whose splines match that (23T, 24T, or 25T). Otherwise, also order a horn that matches your servo selection. I've found the Spektrum S614 to be a decent and cheap servo. You'll need a 23T horn with that.

I usually run the radios my trucks come with, and the only receiver / transmitter combo (RX / TX) thar I've ever bought is probably more expensive than you'd be interested in. Hopefully someone else can advise on a cheap RX / TX combo.

For batteries, Common Sense makes decent batteries. I'd check out their 3S LiPO, 2200MAH. It'll get you 40-60 minutes of runtime with decent power.

And lastly, the battery charger. I really like my Hi-Tec X2 AC charger. It was fairly cheap at $100, and I've had mine running very consistently for 5-6 years with zero problems.

You'll probably come up with more questions as you get your truck running. The more time you spend browsing this forum, the more you'll have answers to the questions, before you even have to ask!
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Gens Ace LiPos are excellent and are available in Australia, and FlySky radios are inexpensive and reliable.

There's a commonly available budget servo sold by many outlets (Amazon and eBay, for example) called the DS3218 - the price is right and the 3 I have been using for years in my 1.9" vehicles haven't failed me yet.

I do use stronger, more expensive servos in my 2.2"...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

im not sure what axles that chassie uses but most likely they will need to be replaced injora generaly uses there own axles that look like the scx10ii axles but dont use any axial parts and thats would be ok if there parts held up most dont

next your transmission likely has plastic gears its cheaper to replace the entire transmission with a all metal one than to replace just the gears

the tires are fine the wheels at somepoint you will.want some nice aluminum ones just cause there cool lol

i usualy buy off of ebay and i buy alot of cheap chinese crap because almost everything rc is made in china
anyway i use the new rain 480a esc 3 mode they dont get any simpler than that there are 2 switches on the esc one for lipo or nimh and one for forward break reverse - forward break-forward reverse i usualy super glue the switches in place one i set them they have a tendancy to break lol about $20

the motor that came with it should be ok for now but any 540-550 size motor will work you would want to keep the speed down so maybe a 27-35 turn for a brushed motor

the servo sugested above the ds branbed servos seem to be good servos for 1.9 rigs but i preferthe 25kg version if you have the cash to spend i would highly recomend a direct power servo they cost more but are worth every penny they start around $40 and go up petty fast from there

there are alot of good radios out there and there are alot of cheap radios out there
flysky is a middle of the road brand there radios work good and feel good some are better than others but i havent had one i dislike yet
the gt3c is a awsome radio but far from simple you need a degree is computer sciance to make them work right spend a little bit more cash and get the gt5 ive herd great things about that radio and the price is pretty good
i just picked up a dumborc radio its 6 channels simple as dirt and cheap $40 delivered it feels cheap but seems to work good and the company that makes them makes high end radios for other brands so i feel like even though the radio has a cheap feel to it i think the parts that go in to the radio are quality parts
there are radios out there that go for 500 so anything under $100 is basicly a budget radio

if your gona run lights and winches and all the fun stuff pick up a bec or a battery eliminator
they sell cheap light controlers with all the lights you could.ever want and they even sell switches so you can turn them on and off with the radio

batterys your motor probably wont draw more than 40 amps under any condition for any langht of time so you need a battery that can discharge 40 amps constant rate i would look for a battery with some cusion i like to have double what i need so i look for 80 amp min for brushed motors
a 2200 mah battery with a 35c discharge rate discharges safely at about 75 amps so it would be safe to run in your rig
the more mah you have the longer the pack will last how long they last depends on the rig

i cant think of any thing else right now but im sure theres alot more

Last edited by ferp420; 02-20-2022 at 08:11 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #5

Thanks for all the input Guys I certainly have a lot to learn is there any wiring diagrams out there or video's on how you actually plug every thing in? like what plugs into what? so much to learn .
RealJeepOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #6
Ots
Quarry Creeper

So sofiamartin208 needs to be deleted.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
So sofiamartin208 needs to be deleted.
Done!
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:52 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well unfortunately Injora is considered a cheap knock off company who does not bother themselves with details like licensing or counterfeiting a design. To be honest you would be MUCH better off buying a TRX4 or SCX10iii builder kit and buying the Axial XJ body in clear to mount on the finished chassis. I have two of those XJ bodies mounted on TRX4 chassis and they are my favorite trucks. Electronics are not a big deal you can buy a FlySky GT5 transmitter/receiver combo for around $70 US, add a HobbyWing QuicRun WP1080 ESC (Electronic Speed Control) $45, Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 12t 550 motor $20 and a Savox 1230SG $90. You will also need a LiPO battery and charger, I have had very good results with Gen Ace batteries. Most of all, take your time and have fun building what you want.
Attached Images

Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:07 PM   #9
Ots
Quarry Creeper

KyleS also has a highly relevant post prime for deletion.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote

No Idea in need of Education - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free MIT education punkfan Tools, and Procedures 17 03-09-2012 09:57 AM
Battery and BEC education help... serveapurpose Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 09-13-2009 03:05 PM
in need of an education... noob questions. puba187 Newbie General 14 09-15-2008 10:27 AM
32P gears- education MSB HPI Wheely King 4 07-11-2007 05:42 PM