Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith section closed??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Axial Wraith section closed??

Hi.
I started a thread 3 weeks ago in the Axial Wraith section and got a message telling me it would have to be approved by a moderator before it could be published... and I'm still waiting... 3 weeks...

I sent a message to Harley, the moderator, after about a week of waiting, asking if there had been a problem with it, and..... nothing...

Can someone please tell me why this is happening... I needed help with the DIG unit and was waiting patiently...

Aren't people from the UK welcome here?

I bet this never gets published either.... hahaha

Last edited by KevB; 02-24-2022 at 11:35 AM. Reason: comma missing
KevB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Wraith section closed??

I can’t say that I’ve ever read any of the forum rules regarding anything, let alone posting/starting threads. Lol! Maybe just find an existing Wraith thread that seems fairly appropriate post there for now? I doubt the forum is anti-UK, but you crazy sum bitches are cool with me!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I didn't think that Harley was moderating here on RCC anymore but I could be wrong. Anyway... I know that everyone is welcome here from all corners of the globe so no worries in that regard. And I hate to say it but sometimes moderators are pretty scarce around these parts lately so just hang on and I'm sure that eventually this will get sorted.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I believe there may only be one active mod, 1badjeepbruiser: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...uiser-2003.htm

What Dig unit did you get and whats your issue?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys

I've clicked on a few different sub-groups and only a few have moderators assigned to them... The Axial Wraith one tells you that posts (maybe just new threads?) need to be approved by the mod, and the mod is Harley... If he's no longer a mod I suspect there's a pile of posts/threads in limbo somewhere waiting for approval...

Someone with the ability needs to lift the 'approval' restriction from that sub-group.

I'm just living with my DIG problem for now until I stumble on the reason for it being awkward... (It's the radio and not the DIG)
I'm using it's original Tactic radio gear with the DIG servo operated by the ch3 push buttons, programmed to 3 positions. The problem being that whenever I turn the radio back on the servo always defaults to the anti-clockwise position, which is the rear locked (clockwise being drive engaged). Even if I reverse the servo direction it always defaults to this position upon power-up. I presume it's something to do with it being an electronic switch, the issue obviously wouldn't occur if it was a physical one.
I've even tried programming the positions 'in reverse' but it always defaults to the furthest anti-clockwise position programmed...
It really isn't a big problem, just a bit of an inconvenience...

I'm not a fan of steerwheel radios, I much prefer sticks, but my DX6i doesn't have a 3 position switch and nor do any of my other 2.4ghz tx's.
I have some 40fm ones which do but I want to stay with 2.4ghz...

I wondered if anyone else had had this issue and found a way round it...

The DIG unit is the Axial one, using the original steering servo.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

first posts seem to find there way in to the round file i think it happens to everyone lol

as for the radio just give up buy a new one you will be so much happier
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah your issue would be solved with a better radio with more adjustability (depending on the radio), RTR radios are typically junk and have limited options.

I know a Spektrum radio (with a 3 position switch) would solve this. Spektrum radios will save the last position your 3 position switch was on, so if you turn your rig off with dig not active it will turn on the next time with it still off.

I would highly recommend you get used to a pistol grip radio with a wheel. It may take some time to get used to it but its so much more appropriate for a rc car. The only application a stick radio might make more sense is on a rig that uses more than 7-8 or more aux channels. But do whatever works for you!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-24-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #8

As I already said, I have a Spektrum DX6i but that doesn't have a 3 position switch. I also have several 40FM radios that have one but I prefer the lack of antenna you get with 2.4ghz.

I've been into rc for 45 years so far (since I was 13 years old and you actually required a licence to operate rc gear back then, quirky British law...) and have spent a long time with both stick and pistol grip radios, but I prefer the finer control you can achieve with sticks. It just comes more naturally to me with them.

I personally don't see the point in using a pistol grip radio for cars/trucks just because it uses a wheel to steer it with, the same as 1:1 vehicles... I'm not sat in it, I don't have pedals at my feet...
By that theory does it mean stick radios should only be used for tanks and other tracked vehicles? (Hahaha... Ok ok... I know some of you will be saying yes to that)
It's all down to personal preference, nobodies choice is wrong.

I haven't seen a modern pistol grip radio with an actual physical 3 position switch, the ones I've seen use electronic buttons. I have a few older 40FM pistol grips with 2 position physical switches, but not 3.

I'll just keep searching for a stick tx with a physical/mechanical 3 position switch that isn't one of the Chinese 30m range ones...

Cheers guys
Old 02-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It doesnt need to be a mechanical switch BTW, the electronic switches use software to remember the last position.

Almost all of the Spektrum pistol grip radios have a 3 position switch, stick radios i'm not so familiar with but there must be some.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-25-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Don’t count out something like the Flysky GT5 radio either. I use channel 4 to control the dig on my Capra. You use your left thumb to slightly “turn” the dial and it clicks solidly into position. I have no clue how to post pics on this site so if someone has a GT5 and can post a pic of the channel 4 switch that would be helpful. I’m not an engineer but this switch definitely has a mechanical feel as opposed to the other knobs and switches, plus you don’t have to take your hand off of the throttle trigger. It’s easy to reach with your thumb while holding the radio. I know it’s not a stick redid, but it has 6 channels, the receiver can handle high voltage, and they can be had for $70-$80 bucks. My go-to crawler radio.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:18 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevB View Post
As I already said, I have a Spektrum DX6i but that doesn't have a 3 position switch. I also have several 40FM radios that have one but I prefer the lack of antenna you get with 2.4ghz.

I've been into rc for 45 years so far (since I was 13 years old and you actually required a licence to operate rc gear back then, quirky British law...) and have spent a long time with both stick and pistol grip radios, but I prefer the finer control you can achieve with sticks. It just comes more naturally to me with them.

I personally don't see the point in using a pistol grip radio for cars/trucks just because it uses a wheel to steer it with, the same as 1:1 vehicles... I'm not sat in it, I don't have pedals at my feet...
By that theory does it mean stick radios should only be used for tanks and other tracked vehicles? (Hahaha... Ok ok... I know some of you will be saying yes to that)
It's all down to personal preference, nobodies choice is wrong.

I haven't seen a modern pistol grip radio with an actual physical 3 position switch, the ones I've seen use electronic buttons. I have a few older 40FM pistol grips with 2 position physical switches, but not 3.

I'll just keep searching for a stick tx with a physical/mechanical 3 position switch that isn't one of the Chinese 30m range ones...

Cheers guys
Crazy Brit Laws. It's why we're American. not that there is much different today it seems. lolol

I also started RC in the late 70s early 80s, but was out by late 81 when I picked up the bass guitar and girls. lol
Steering wheel just seems normal for ground runners, but yes on the sticks for tanks. lol

Now that the smartassery is over. I got your Radio fix."
Yes it is a Pistol radio. Looks like an Old Spectrum from the late 2000s. Kind of bulky feeling, but not to bad to hold for a long time either.

BUT, it not only has 1 3 position switch on it, it has 2.

Check out the Radiolink RC6GS (V2).
6 chnl Sbuss capable and can run FPV Cam
Full mixing on all channels. Programming on all aux channels to modify how the switches and buttons work.

1800ft/600m Range. Yes, you read that right, 600 meters.
Been tested by users many times. Very low latency even at 1800ft.

comes with a 6 AA Tray, but can be unplugged and removed, and can be run on 2-4s packs. I have a 3s 2500 mah pack in mine, and only recharged once all of last year. lol I don't run every day, but often a few hours on the weekends.

I was looking for an inexpensive but capable 2nd radio and ran across the v1 and picked it up, then they came out with the v2 with 2 handle buttons for easier use.

Now its my main radio.
I trust it enough to that I'd run it on my No Prep rigs, if I wasn't running my old Nomadio Reacts.

Its the best 500.00 radio I have ever bought and owned.
And it comes in an 80.00 box. (USD).

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tra...52353059&psc=1
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

in my opinion the pistol grip radio took off because the toy grade rcs all had stick radios and i think that skewed most people from using what they precive as a toy grade radio
when you saw some one with a stick radio it was a toy when you was a pistol grip it was hobby grade
when i got ahold of my first pistol grip radio and ran the hobby grade rc i dident want anything else it had to have a pistol grip and had to be hobby grade or i wasent interested
i would still use a stick for a airplane or something theres nothing wrong with them
my first buggie i used the stick radio till i could aford a pistol grip radio i had a hell of a time with the stick fine going away from me but coming twards me i just couldent wrap my head around it lol the pistol grip i never even thought about it
Old 02-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i have 3 radios that have 3 channels or more 2 of them have a 3 position switch the only one that dosent is the tactic and it was allways a pain to use and its now in the junk pile
the gt3c has 2 3 position switches one momentairy and one on off on but it needs to be hacked to get them to work
Old 02-27-2022, 12:09 AM   #14
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevB View Post
Hi.
I started a thread 3 weeks ago in the Axial Wraith section and got a message telling me it would have to be approved by a moderator before it could be published... and I'm still waiting... 3 weeks...

I sent a message to Harley, the moderator, after about a week of waiting, asking if there had been a problem with it, and..... nothing...

Can someone please tell me why this is happening... I needed help with the DIG unit and was waiting patiently...

Aren't people from the UK welcome here?

I bet this never gets published either.... hahaha
Not sure why it needed approved, but I went ahead and approved it for ya.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:40 AM   #15

Cheers Tanis