Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Couple Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Couple Questions

Ok i have a few questions. I decided to make a crawler out of my T-MAXX, so far i got a EVX esc and a integy 55 t motor. I plan on doing the one battery mod to that, but my main question is what servos to get that would work good with this set up?

I was thinking either the Tower Pro MG 995 or the HiTec 5645 MG, but im leaning more towards the 995 cause they are cheeper.

Finally i have the stock TQ3 radio so i should be able to run the servos off the reciever and not have to have a seperate battery for them right.... i thought i read somewhere about guys doing that but i would like to stay away from that.

I apoligize for my ignorence but im new at this and i just wanted to see if the parts i got would work together good.
wessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You are right on!

I would go for the 995 also over the 5645.

And the TQ3 should be fine without a separate rx battery pack.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

you sound like your good to me, i have no experience with the tower servos but if your a club member (who isnt their great at taking our money) you get a double warrenty on them.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #4

Sweet thank you guys for the quick replies too!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I recommend an RX pack with the EVX... The BEC on it is pretty weak with 5V/1.5A... I use one on mine with no problems... Get a bit more runtime, too... Just have to remember to pull out the red wire from the ESC plug so as not to fry the ESC... Leave it intact, tho'... Don't just cut it in case you need to program the ESC again...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #6

hmmm.... I think one reason I wanted to stay away from the rx pack was because I really dont know what they are? It was a t-maxx and it had 4 AA batteries to power the servos since it was gas.. is that what ur talking about?

and are there any write ups on this? lol
Old 02-14-2007, 11:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

RX pack is a short-form for receiver pack.. It's sole purpose is to power the servos and receiver...

The 4 AA's are a form of RX pack... They work, but not as well as a 5 cell 2/3A pack does... Like a 5 cell hump pack for an RC10GT or XXXNT or the likes... Even a flat pack like in an 8th scale would work, too...

There are lots of write ups about it... I posted a couplea pics a few months ago with the red wire removed from the ESC... An RX pack would make a HUGE difference. It's a rather noticeable difference at that...

Last edited by DaViolentOne; 02-14-2007 at 11:24 PM.
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #8

ok i have another question... i know that a lot of people lock the maxx transmissions into first gear but when i turn my spur gear the drive shafts dont turn. im thinkin there is a clutch in there also that i will have to mod since the gas motor from the t-maxx spins at such high rpms. so am i gonna have to midify for this or do the e-maxx transmissions act this way too?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

nop e-maxx ones are solid when you do the jb weld mod so there is no slop in the gears (and only locked in first)
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #10

ok i also did some searching and it seems i need a forward only conversion and to lock it into first gear..... would that do it for me?

and what is this jb weld mod ur talking about? i heard of that in the diffs but not the transmission
Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

you know where the shift spool goes into first gear you put jb weld in the empty space that it is a tight fit. but you lockin it in first so your going to screw those parts together anyways.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #12

so to lock it into forward i put jb weld in the forward gear where the shift fork is? like where the little lever flies up to engage it into first?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #13

alright i think im good with the transmission now.... thanks guys
Old 03-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #14

well i got my truck all together but i cannot get the esc to work.... i have the evx with the red wire unplugged since i have a rx and i did the one battery mod and only have one motor wired up...... do i have to do anything else to set it up?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #15

when i got this exc i got it as a remanufactured one from a local hobby shop and i didnt get any papers on how to set it up.... i did however find the instructions on the internet but the red light will not come on to start programming........ any thoughts?????
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

when you did the one pack convertion did you do the correct side?
on one plug you will get the servos to work but not the other side.
check out this link: http://www.rccrawler.com/evx.htm
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #17

yea i actually check that right after i posted to make sure i got the right side and i did... if i unplug the rx pack and plug the red wire for the esc back in the servos still work but not the esc..... i got the red light to come on once but i got the evx as a remanufactured one from a local hobby shop and i didnt get any instructions on how to set it up... however i found them on the internet and now i cant get it to go into the program mode???