Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Anybody bring a leaf blower with them trailing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Anybody bring a leaf blower with them trailing?

We all dream of living in Moab or Sedona but I don’t. I live in the oak leaf capital of the world in New England. For those who aren’t familiar, oak leaves are a very special breed of leaf. They’re very durable, they don’t break, they collect in deep pockets around all the best rock gardens.

10th scale 8lb rigs can get lost and float in the piles. Luckily 25lb+, sixth scale can usually move them out of the way in all but the deepest piles if you sit there spinning your wheels for few seconds until tire finally touches rock. I think of it as driving a full scale truck through a 4 foot pile of 6’ x 6’ tarps. it just ain’t fun.

I have a crappy Ryobi battery operated leaf blower. I just use to keep them out of my garage, but have more substantial equipment to clear the yard.

Usually, I strap a 10th scale crawler to my backpack and drive the six scale beast along the hiking trail. Was thinking about strapping that leaf blower to my backpack instead. I’m sure I would get lots of looks from the hikers, but curious if anyone has ever done anything ridiculous like that. Such a bummer that it really really kills the crawling this time of year. Most of the leaves are down now, so hopefully in a few weeks, the trails will pack out a little bit, but the most fun, slightly off trail, rocky areas just get collected leaves and sticks piled up in them.

I’m glad to have some great terrain nearby though - can’t knock that. Just sad to see the season get impacted so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anybody bring a leaf blower with them trailing?

never on public property but ive raked and shovaled to clear and cut trails through the woods on property i lived on
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've considered bringing along a small hand broom/whisk broom for clearing sand off of rocks at the beach.

Maybe bring some gloves and clear it by hand.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Seriously, Oak leaves are a pain because of exactly what you describe. But even feeling your frustration, I wouldn't if it's public. You've got people that would either complain about the noise ( no matter how quiet) or complain about disturbing natural habitat. And you've got to lug it around. I can see it being more of a hassle than an asset overall. I just don't think I would despite that I completely understand your mindset.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Seriously, Oak leaves are a pain because of exactly what you describe. But even feeling your frustration, I wouldn't if it's public. You've got people that would either complain about the noise ( no matter how quiet) or complain about disturbing natural habitat. And you've got to lug it around. I can see it being more of a hassle than an asset overall. I just don't think I would despite that I completely understand your mindset.
Yeah that's kind of what I am thinking too. I even feel a little guilty about the noise the SCX6 makes when I'm on the more popular trails. I tend to stop and wait for people to walk by. So far - 4-5 multi-hour hikes - everyone has been cool. Kids of course love it, men wish they had one even if they don't admit it, and most women say "oh that looks fun" while laughing inside lol. No one's given me crap for it yet though.

I was actually wondering if they made helical transmission gears to quiet it down. A leaf blower would be a bit in the other direction! I have a small rock pile nearby that's on the edge of a parking area - really just keeping people from driving onto a soccer field... I think I can swing it there, but not hiking trails - as convenient as it seems to carry the little battery leaf blower.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've considered bringing along a small hand broom/whisk broom for clearing sand off of rocks at the beach.

Maybe bring some gloves and clear it by hand.
That's true - my cousin had a mini-rake to 'move' dog poop when her dogs chose the driveway. I could carry that easily and clear out the most fun lines when I stopped to play. I'm in no rush and they are moving slow and not covering a ton of ground - glad to have something encouraging me to get off my ass one way or their other..
Old 11-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i have made a few trails in the park i live in and a few tracks on public land but its encuraged out here its a open riding area the only real restrictions are no nails dont mess with the turtles and dont shoot long guns outside of that its free and open
one of my neighbors built a full out mx track on public land behind his property and blm is like ok cool enjoy lol

i think its a differnt story when making trails inside a designated ohv park than on a hiking trail

Last edited by ferp420; 11-22-2022 at 07:51 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
Yeah that's kind of what I am thinking too. I even feel a little guilty about the noise the SCX6 makes when I'm on the more popular trails. I tend to stop and wait for people to walk by. So far - 4-5 multi-hour hikes - everyone has been cool. Kids of course love it, men wish they had one even if they don't admit it, and most women say "oh that looks fun" while laughing inside lol. No one's given me crap for it yet though.

I was actually wondering if they made helical transmission gears to quiet it down. A leaf blower would be a bit in the other direction! I have a small rock pile nearby that's on the edge of a parking area - really just keeping people from driving onto a soccer field... I think I can swing it there, but not hiking trails - as convenient as it seems to carry the little battery leaf blower.
That's about the feeling I get- boy loves it, guy wants one but won't admit it to his wife, and women say "fun!" and giggle under their breath.

I used to shut down my nitro rigs if there were people around or if anyone seemed annoyed. And although I haven't run nitro in many years, I was at the local park recently and shut down the audio on my slash because I felt self-conscious how loud it was. Seems like most the kids love it and some of the men but women.. nope. They want their peace and quiet.. understandable.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Most of our local trails are maintained by a mountain bike club. Some are leaf blown and others aren't - that decision is made by the land managers of that particular property. Some of our parks are owned by the local park district, others are on Army Corps of Engineers ground, and some are privately owned.

That's to say that whether leaves are beneficial to the sustainability of the trail is very much location dependent and still a bit controversial (in our area anyways).

If you want to go about things proper, I'd see who maintains the trails and what their thoughts are on clearing leaves. If they want it done, they'll be stoked that you're motivated to help them. If they DON'T want them cleared, they'll be quick to give you a hard no.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly View Post
I was actually wondering if they made helical transmission gears to quiet it down.
I was thinking the same thing; the problem is manufacturing them isn't anywhere near as cheap.

Herringbone gears are probably a better fit - it's a double-helical gear variant that doesn't require a thrust bearing because it doesn't generate an axial thrust that also requires additional thrust bearings, and a stronger transmission case.

Even then - helical gears, while quieter, aren't as efficient.

More expensive, and less efficient isn't a great combination. I'd certainly love a nearly silent crawler, but some realities aren't easily overcome... at least not without a many-axis CNC...

Reminds me of a comic of two of man's greatest fantasies: A smoking hot spouse smiling as the 12-axis CNC mill churns out perfection in the garage.

Last edited by Pariah Zero; 11-27-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Pariah Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I bring a gas-powered blower with me since the area I crawl is wooded. I typically use up a whole tank of fuel and it takes me about an hour to get most of it cleared out. Between the rocks, stumps and exposed roots I feel like it's also a safety function of having the trail clean.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I live in CA, so no, I don't dare bring something like that with me on a trail. I'd probably receive a longer prison sentence than a thief or sexual predator.
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yeah, but just to help dry out my swamp nuts when I get back to the truck.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Yeah, but just to help dry out my swamp nuts when I get back to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:52 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

That's actually pretty damn funny...

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
You're doin' it wrong. You're supposed to be blowing the crumbs into your mouth!!! They get better with age!
Old 12-01-2022, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I bring a gas-powered blower with me since the area I crawl is wooded. I typically use up a whole tank of fuel and it takes me about an hour to get most of it cleared out. Between the rocks, stumps and exposed roots I feel like it's also a safety function of having the trail clean.
I know I've done something similar - I took a weed whacker when I've flown RC Helis, and cleared around the landing pad. It turns out that the vibration from the machine made my Fraking hands shake uncontrollably! I couldn't fly that weekend because of it. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

The rest of the folks at the field appreciated it, though.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:40 AM   #18

Dewalt and most other manufacturers have small 20v battery leaf blowers that can strap to a backpack or simply carry. They would be ideal for clearing a small course or trail.

I carry one in my truck every day, use it a ton.

Thanks Ross
Ross413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Anybody bring a leaf blower with them trailing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Bring IT!!!! ** 4cRc2 G6 Fun Run ** BRING IT!!!! ** Mudeater67 New Mexico 29 08-10-2014 09:21 AM
Leaf Blower!!! Mr. Chevy Chit Chat 20 10-31-2006 05:21 PM