Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help with phantom reversing!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #1

Default Help with phantom reversing!!

Hi,

New hear. Please excuse the lack of knowledge, I’m learning on the job!

I have a budget trail truck that I picked up (FTX Outback 3 - Paso), which has been working fine up until today, but now it’s violently throwing itself into reverse, when attempting to drive at slow speed. It’s a little 390 motor, running on 2S Lipo and the truck has a horrible ESC/receiver combo.

The servo had also started flickering left and right and the steering had become a little “crunchy”. I since learned that the stock servo has lost some teeth, so I switched it out for a new one of the same size that I had spare (until the stronger one arrives). I thought this might be the route of all the problems, but I’m still getting the violent reversing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! As I don’t know if it’s an ESC issue, or transmitter/receiver issue. The throttle control has always been stupidly sensitive.

P.S. I do have a better quality kit build in progress, but this is a fun little trail truck, so I would like to save it if possible, even if it’s just for my kids to bash around.

Last edited by RichardG; 04-25-2022 at 05:14 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Help with phantom reversing!!

Any other servos on the truck? Bad servos send weird feedback and make odd things happen.

It's possible that your previously bad servo cooked either your receiver or ESC. Since you have another truck, I'm assuming you have another RX and ESC. Swap out the possible bad, for the known good. One component at a time. That should tell you which of them has failed.

Other than "part-swap troubleshooting" you'd need some pretty advanced electronic understanding to nail it down. Hopefully part swapping narrows it down.

It seems your truck has a RX/ESC in one. I guess you'll end up swapping both out anyway.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

this might be kinda stupid but have you checked the throtle trim just a thought
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Any other servos on the truck? Bad servos send weird feedback and make odd things happen.

It's possible that your previously bad servo cooked either your receiver or ESC. Since you have another truck, I'm assuming you have another RX and ESC. Swap out the possible bad, for the known good. One component at a time. That should tell you which of them has failed.

Other than "part-swap troubleshooting" you'd need some pretty advanced electronic understanding to nail it down. Hopefully part swapping narrows it down.

It seems your truck has a RX/ESC in one. I guess you'll end up swapping both out anyway.

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the tips. As mentioned it’s an ESC/receiver combo, which makes diagnosis more difficult.

The servo was missing teeth, so I’m assuming that it was likely struggling for a while, before I realised the issue.

I’m learning lessons all the time here and I’m definitely done with cheap stock electronics.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
this might be kinda stupid but have you checked the throtle trim just a thought
Sorry for the late reply also.

I thought it may be the issue as well, as I had set it to run slowly on its own when doing a little maintenance recently.

Tried adjusting it, but it’s still doing the sudden reverse thing.

I’m throwing a Hobbywing 1060 in it, as I don’t really do any serious crawling with it, so hopefully that will be fit for purpose.

Help with phantom reversing!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phantom vision Peaker Non Crawler RC's 0 10-09-2013 03:33 PM
Phantom Crap Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 31 11-20-2011 10:28 AM