RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   How do you snap axles? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/62959-how-do-you-snap-axles.html)

DKNguyen 03-03-2007 12:17 PM

How do you snap axles?

Hi. I was wondering how you guys can "snap axles at will". Do you do it by applying more throttle to get out of a stall and the torque exceeds what the drivetrain can handle? Or do you do it by trying to turn when going on flat ground at fast speeds and the stress gets too high (since the diff is locked). Or does this last case just make your truck flip instead?

I'm trying to figure out how fast is too fast for a locked diff truck on relatively flat paved ground (before it flips or breaks due to the imperfect travelling in a straight which places extra stress on the axles when the applied power turns from speed into torque since the diff is locked). 10ft/s = 11km/h = 7mph is the top speed I think the setup I am looking at will get. I'm wondering if it's ever safe to travel at that speed with locked diffs.

JasonInAugusta 03-03-2007 12:32 PM

Simple equation...

Torque x Traction = Broken Parts

Crawlerguy851 03-03-2007 12:32 PM

Driving around with locked diffs is just going to mess up your turning radius. The only way to snap shafts easily is to bind something up and thottle it.

EDIT:damned slow typing...

Norcal crawler 03-03-2007 03:49 PM

Actually, if you take the best care of your truck ever, and just like to drive it rough because it is fun, you could break an axle. It is usually when you get into a really tight situation and try to get out with your wheels jammed that you break your axle.

Rc EnthuSiasTs 03-03-2007 03:58 PM

i found out it is not worth it to try to get out of a area when my tires are binding, i am going to start setting my slipper in extreme situations it will let up some!

DKNguyen 03-04-2007 12:57 PM

THere are no slippers for Clods right? Maybe I should replace something with a crummy plastic gear so I can choose which part will break first (this is actually for a robot, not a crawler, and to get the crawling torque needed and maximum speed on flat ground, I need to use a motor that will be able to easily break the shafts if it's going at top speed and hits a bump or something and all that power goes from speed to torque.)

jetboat 03-05-2007 09:05 AM

I tend to break shafts when I get a wheel stuck under something and I decide to try to use the truck to move a 60# rock instead of being smart and backing up.

Thorsteenster 03-05-2007 09:34 AM

i think usually its done very carefully while trying to avoid breaking somthing.
:lol:

TwistedMetal 03-05-2007 01:08 PM

diddo. what he ^ said. :)

theshimonator 03-05-2007 01:30 PM

well the way i do it envolves a sledge hammer an axle an ox a fish an empty fish tank and a bowl of gwacamoli! < spelling :lol:

gabemerrill 03-06-2007 03:00 PM

Tires bind up, you don't let up on the throttle quick enough and something has to give. "thumbsup"

TLTCrawlin 03-06-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Simple equation...

Torque x Traction = Broken Parts

Who tought you that? mommas WRONG AGAIN!

Torque x bind= Broken shafts!

Rc EnthuSiasTs 03-06-2007 05:02 PM

Did that happen by chance?:roll:

Big Mike 03-07-2007 07:23 AM

Torque + Traction = Rig drives over obstacle