Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawlers, am I on the right track?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #1

Default New to crawlers, am I on the right track?

So I'm now to crawlers but not RC. I've been reading your forum for about a week learning as much as I can before I take the plunge and just wanted to get opinions before I head to the RC shop.

As I said I've been into RC cars since the 80's but haven't had one in 10 years. My last was a T MAxx 3.3 so crawlers and Lipo in particular are completely new to me. I've played with friends crawlers and thought they were pretty fun but didn't really get interested in owning one until I saw the TRX-4 K5 Blazer! Love the K5's and need one of these trucks!

So what I'm planning is the TRx-4 for sure. I'm looking for advice more on chargers, batteries, motors, etc.. From what I've found I think I want the HiTec X2 plus black edition. I don't really want the Traxxas charger just because it looks like it uses proprietary connections and if I get really into this I'd like the charger to be useful for more than just traxxas products. I also like the blue tooth capability, balance functions, and ability to charge 2 batteries simultaniously. I've seen this charger advertised for $100 which seems like a pretty good value for a well respected charger.

Batteries I'm not exactly sure about but thinking a 3s 3000 MAh battery. Sounds like the larger batteries tend to make the TRX-4 even more top heavy and I can always add a second battery if I decide I need more run time. Still trying to learn about brands but welcome to recommendations!

Any recommendation on battery storage? Should I get a fire proof bag or something? After reading about these Lipo batteries I'm a little concerned about my drone batteries just chilling in the closet!

Eventually I would probably replace the motor with something like the Hobbywing fusion 2300 and maybe a better steering servo but I will get some runtime on the truck before I make any of those changes.

So is there anything I'm not considering or anything you would do different?
E92FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #2

Default Re: New to crawlers, am I on the right track?

First up... how seriously do you want to get into crawling? I ask because while the TRX-4 is a good platform, the Blazer might end up being a bit top-heavy. I've seen videos with rave reviews about the cheaper TRX-4 Sport, saying it's a fantastic first crawler. Similarly, the Axial Base Camp is a better looking (IMO) version of the Sport but with better ground clearance. Of course, you can spend a small fortune on accessories for any of the TRX-4's... wheel weights, heavier wheels, metal axles, etc, etc to get more weight down low so it works better, and that's always an option.

I started off with a TRX-6 (G63), then got a TRX-4 Defender (which I've now posted for sale since I decided it isn't gonna get enough use), and now have an Axial Capra and Axial Ryft. I love the TRX-6 so it's not going anywhere; when I have more money I will mod the heck out of it. But for now, I'm focusing on the Ryft and Capra.

Check out the YouTube channel called West Desert Wheeler. This guy knows is stuff about crawling. His terrain is a bit different than yours in the PNW, but it's still very educational.

Edit: Forgot to address the battery questions. I agree, the Traxxas batteries are overpriced. You can go with any number of aftermarket batteries (I've been using the "Zeee" brand from Amazon with good luck), but you'll need an adapter to convert from the Traxxas plug to whatever your battery of choice comes with... XT60, IC5, etc.

Rob
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
First up... how seriously do you want to get into crawling? I ask because while the TRX-4 is a good platform, the Blazer might end up being a bit top-heavy. I've seen videos with rave reviews about the cheaper TRX-4 Sport, saying it's a fantastic first crawler. Similarly, the Axial Base Camp is a better looking (IMO) version of the Sport but with better ground clearance. Of course, you can spend a small fortune on accessories for any of the TRX-4's... wheel weights, heavier wheels, metal axles, etc, etc to get more weight down low so it works better, and that's always an option.

Rob
I imagine using this more as a trail rig that will crawl over whatever obstacles I come across than a dedicated crawler. That said I like the idea of the 2 speed trans and unlocking diffs that the sport doesn't have. And the K5 body is really what drew me in. When I was a kid my uncle had a K5 and some of my best memories were spent up in the mountains in that Blazer.

And like you mentioned I like the amount of accessories for this platform. As I play with it I will undoubtable mod it out in whatever direction it takes me!
Old 09-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

the k5 body isent too top heavy its alot better than the defender body and way lighter than a hard body that alot of people run on there trx4s
i wouldent worry so much about the motor the esc would be a nice upgrade though and also a new steering servo
a new radio would be nice too if you plan on having a bunch of rigs i personaly hate all traxxass electronics for what ever thats worth but hay if they last more than a run or two consider your self lucky
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Try to ignore the "top heavy" responses. Most people don't understand how to adjust the suspension and such accordingly plus get stuck on the low cg competition set ups. Basically not scale people. But when my fully scaled out knightrunner could finish a course many didn't, it ain't all about how light the body is.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #6

Sounds like you'll have a great time with it then! Yes, it's nice to have the 2sp trans and lockable/unlockable diffs. Definitely helps the turning radius. BTW, the TRX's have "cruise control" which is super slick... just hit SET while you're walking and it will maintain that speed right with you, just steer.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The blazer should be a great choice for you. I would also suggest not buying into the traxxas battery/charger program. Easy enough to solder a new connector on the Esc and run whatever battery you choose.

Personally I’ve been using ovonic air packs, 1500ish mah 3s packs which give me around an hour of run time from a storage charge. Prices are very reasonable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That Hi-Tec charger is awesome. I've been running mine for about 7 years with no problems. The storage mode function is particularly nice. And in that 7 years I've probably charged, then storage charged 5-10 batteries per week.

As far as storage, if you keep your batteries in good shape, you won't have problems. Hence the storage charge feature on the Hi-Tec charger. LiPO batteries are like kids: the abused ones will start fires.

That said, I store mine in an old ammo can. But if you don't have or can't find one of those, the LiPO storage bags are a good option.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92FF View Post
I imagine using this more as a trail rig that will crawl over whatever obstacles I come across than a dedicated crawler. That said I like the idea of the 2 speed trans and unlocking diffs that the sport doesn't have. And the K5 body is really what drew me in. When I was a kid my uncle had a K5 and some of my best memories were spent up in the mountains in that Blazer.

And like you mentioned I like the amount of accessories for this platform. As I play with it I will undoubtable mod it out in whatever direction it takes me!
I have the 1/8 scale yk4082 it's a trail truck that craws over stuff

Front & Rear lockers
High & Low speed
Portal axles

Have a look

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP6666VR View Post
I have the 1/8 scale yk4082 it's a trail truck that craws over stuff

Front & Rear lockers
High & Low speed
Portal axles

Have a look

I have a truck that crawls over stuff too!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:08 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
To the original poster, the trx4 is a great platform, (I don't have one) I crawl with someone who has 4 and we have a little Axial vs Traxxas rivalry, all in fun of course.

I like the 2200 mah 3s battery size personally, they cost less than bigger battery's and last an hour to two depending on motor turn and driving style.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:18 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Hi hi

Old 09-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i wana truck that crawls over stuff
Old 09-11-2022, 08:16 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i wana truck that crawls over stuff
That's what she said... Haaa

Old 09-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP6666VR View Post
That's what she said... Haaa

if my significant other had a truck that climbed over stuff and wouldent let me play with it i would be stickin pins in her driver doll too

dude let her play with it or build her one
Old 09-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #16

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I think I'm understanding the rating system on lipo batteries as far as 2200 X C rating gives discharge amps. So a 25C 2200 mah pack would deliver 55 amps, a 5000 10C would deliver 50 amps, etc.. So what should I look for in amps for the TRX4 in order to have some fun on the trail?

Or if it makes more sense for a 2200 what C rating?
Old 09-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

you should draw around 30-40 amps on the stock motor so to be safe double that 60-80 amps
crawlers dont need a high c rating but overkill never hurt anything
most battery companys these days over rate there discharge rate but again crawlers it dosent really matter just be aware when using low mah batterys
so a 2200 should have a minimum c rating of 30c if its a quality battery if its a cheapo i would look for 50c

Last edited by ferp420; 09-11-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:12 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Just wanted to add real quick too, that if you're trailing far from home/ vehicle/ trail-head, etc... Consider having at least one back-up battery in a fanny pack, backpack, camera bag, or somewhere on your person. Even if it's a smaller cheaper spare battery... just make sure it's charged and compatible. Same with basic tools and things like xtra servo horn ( and servo horn screw), body clips, a couple wheel nuts, grub screws or pins ( driveshaft size), and at least a couple basic hex wrenches... 2mm being most important in most instances ( and even if not a full size driver, at least an "L" key). All of this stuff should fit in a very small pack of some kind... I actually carry my xtra tools and parts on my TRX4 rigs in mini ziplock bags stored under the battery tray).

Just these basic things ( along with preventative maintenance and inspection) can mean the difference between driving your crawler back or carrying it back to your starting point. And it can be a real pain in the butt depending how heavy your rig is, how tired you are, and how far out you are.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Just wanted to add real quick too, that if you're trailing far from home/ vehicle/ trail-head, etc... Consider having at least one back-up battery in a fanny pack, backpack, camera bag, or somewhere on your person. Even if it's a smaller cheaper spare battery... just make sure it's charged and compatible. Same with basic tools and things like xtra servo horn ( and servo horn screw), body clips, a couple wheel nuts, grub screws or pins ( driveshaft size), and at least a couple basic hex wrenches... 2mm being most important in most instances ( and even if not a full size driver, at least an "L" key). All of this stuff should fit in a very small pack of some kind... I actually carry my xtra tools and parts on my TRX4 rigs in mini ziplock bags stored under the battery tray).

Just these basic things ( along with preventative maintenance and inspection) can mean the difference between driving your crawler back or carrying it back to your starting point. And it can be a real pain in the butt depending how heavy your rig is, how tired you are, and how far out you are.
Probably the best advise someone could give those just coming into the trail side of things. I've had to carry out a couple miles on pretty rough trails, IT SUCKS!!!!

Which that's one thing a trx4 is far superior on because many hiking trails mean dealing with water. Even "waterproof electronics" can have issues if they get wet due to bad coating/seal from the factory. Traxxas has been the lead in rtr waterproofing for what, around 15yrs now, they have it down to a perfected science for their rigs. Mechanical has never caused me a walk out on my element rigs. Shitty water proofing on element rtr and a bad hobbywing 1080 waterproofing (it's a very rare occurrence from hobbywing) have been my problems. I've mechanically broken rigs but they have been able to limp their asses back lol.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote

New to crawlers, am I on the right track? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Track Roadbed for Manhattan Indoor Track lhet Axial SCX-10 0 04-26-2014 05:33 PM
DFW crawlers G6 track Ace138 Texas 0 03-10-2014 10:37 AM
YES NewRed's Track is still open For Crawlers and Scalers yoda@4x4 Florida 14 10-20-2011 07:11 PM
Not Crawlers, Dirt Track Modifieds... cptcorn Paint and Body 10 09-30-2010 04:15 PM