Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Getting a crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #1

Default Getting a crawler

I just noticed I first posted here 10 years ago this year. Still dont have a crawler. I have had dozens of rc buggies and traxxas trucks. I know all about lipos and electronics on faster trucks, but nothing on these.

I like the idea of vanquish but am really leaning towards rtr.

Thinking about trx4 , ecto, or scx10iii.

I am a traxxas guy but have never owned a true crawler. I had a wraith for a few days i got on trade 10 years ago when i was buying and selling 8th scale buggies. I also had several axial exo terras and they were fun short course style trucks but impossible to work on quickly. Never had element but i loved associated buggies.

Hi, help, thanks,

Lipos are like children. If you abuse them they will start fires

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Getting a crawler

All of the trucks you mentioned are very good. You won’t go wrong with any of them. I can talk about the TRX4 and the Element, and like them both. The traxxas is exceptionally durable and can be made very capable. The Element is a different experience. Very smooth, quite nimble, and drives like it weighs a lot less. I like them both a lot, but I keep buying Elements, for what it’s worth.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

As stated above, hard to go wrong with any of the bigger names these days.

If you are just looking to get your feet wet, also check out the classifieds. There are sometimes some good deals to be had.
And if you do not see what you are looking for, post up a Wanted ad, usually folks will post back, or send you a PM.

Can't wait to see what you end up with. My Redcat Gen8 AXE got me into it, that is after getting my son an Axial SCX10 (OG) first.
Now I own a few different flavors and have a few custom builds going on.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
As stated above, hard to go wrong with any of the bigger names these days.

If you are just looking to get your feet wet, also check out the classifieds. There are sometimes some good deals to be had.
And if you do not see what you are looking for, post up a Wanted ad, usually folks will post back, or send you a PM.

Can't wait to see what you end up with. My Redcat Gen8 AXE got me into it, that is after getting my son an Axial SCX10 (OG) first.
Now I own a few different flavors and have a few custom builds going on.
I cant post in the classifieds. For whatever reason
Old 01-15-2023, 08:43 PM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
Lipos are like children. If you abuse them they will start fires

So true! Never thought of them that way!

I own all 4 of the rigs you have listed including the Vanquish. The Vanquish VS4-10 is a build that everyone should experience. They are great to build and every part fits together perfectly!

Out of the other 3, Element is my go to and favorite. IMO the Ecto would be the perfect choice for a great affordable and very capable rig. Plenty of aftermarket support and parts to upgrade as needed.

My Gatekeeper Builders Kit (nearly same stock parts as the Ecto) without the cage. Great rig and fun to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
So true! Never thought of them that way!

I own all 4 of the rigs you have listed including the Vanquish. The Vanquish VS4-10 is a build that everyone should experience. They are great to build and every part fits together perfectly!

Out of the other 3, Element is my go to and favorite. IMO the Ecto would be the perfect choice for a great affordable and very capable rig. Plenty of aftermarket support and parts to upgrade as needed.

My Gatekeeper Builders Kit (nearly same stock parts as the Ecto) without the cage. Great rig and fun to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I keep seeing get gatekeeper without the cage. Is that the way to go. Or is the ecto the gatekeeper without the cage?

Old 01-15-2023, 11:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I keep seeing get gatekeeper without the cage. Is that the way to go. Or is the ecto the gatekeeper without the cage?

I don't think you can get a Gatekeeper without the cage (new). But there was a good few months where the Gatekeeper kit was $240 US and it was a bargain. And yes yes the Gatekeeper is the Ecto with a different body.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
I don't think you can get a Gatekeeper without the cage (new). But there was a good few months where the Gatekeeper kit was $240 US and it was a bargain. And yes yes the Gatekeeper is the Ecto with a different body.
Element RC Enduro Ecto Body Set, Clear
RPP Price: $52.69

Element RC Enduro Gatekeeper RTR Rock Crawler Buggy
RPP Price: $399.99
On Sale!: $299.99
January Deals!

Plus a can or 2 of paint... at about $7.75 each

$360.43 - $368.18

Versus $409.99 for an RTR Ecto.

I was about to build one that way (well, kinda - a Gatekeeper kit, and the unpainted Ecto body) when only the yellow Ecto was available.

But then they released the military green Ecto RTR, and I fell in love - and impulse-bought it as well.

Sold my kit and unpainted body to my crawlin' buddy...

(the Ecto is a really fun truck - best RTR experience I've had, for sure!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:58 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I stand behind the Trx-4 all the way. The durability factor is the main reason. Aftermarket support would be the next. Other than the electronics mine has taken some abuse with no issues. They are fairly capable out of the box. After tuning and building mine to be how I wanted. It is extremely capable and so much fun to drive. I can’t speak for the other rigs you mentioned. I would love to build a vs4 just can’t shell out the cash for one yet. Good luck in making a decision! Can’t wait to see your build!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:20 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

The Gatekeeper is basically the Ecto with the cage. You would still need to but the Ecto body or some other body to get rid of the heavy cage, unless you want to run the cage.

Now the Gatekeeper Builders Kit which is still hard to beat for the price does come with the "hard" gray plastics and high clearance front links. It does not come with any electronics or wheels and tires.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Getting a crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM