Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need Massive Help Here!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #1

Default Need Massive Help Here!!!

Hi all.... my name is trevor and i live in michigan... i am an avid RC car enthusiast. i work at a machine shop. now on to the hard tricky stuff... i want to build a crawler. but one thats not electric.... one thats gas powered... any ideas??? here is mine........

Chassis: the one from the F-650 build
trans: toss up... tmaxx trans (with slipper clutch off emaxx)???
motor: O.S. 90 4-stroker
axles: i dont no yet... solid axle.... like on the tamiya F-350
suspension: 2 link coil over shock...
150cc fuel tank...

any ideas and hits let me no... i need or want to buy a chassis any ideas as to what i can make it out of???
RatFink008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Just run a quick search for "nitro crawler." You will finds loads of information on the subject.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #3

i also forgot to add... i talked to my 3 local hobby stores and they said they cant get me solid axles... and i dont feel like making them....
Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Asbestos is your friend.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i know that the engine you are looking at is kind of a stroker BUT isnt it a plane engine... limited powerband like 20,000 rpm i think... then clutch issues... have you ever tried going slow with a nitro truck? like on rocks and stuff. I've blued numerous CB by doing so I was using my savage with kong like a crawler. AND! to have power w/ a nitro engine you need rpm.

like every one will say here, they told me too . go for Electric

since you're building it up yourself and have acces to a machine shop... you can do something nice.
Rider385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The 4 stroker might work as 4 stroke motors have more torque down low then your normal Nitro motors. I agree that going electric would be far better for a crawling application as the gas motors or nitro motors just do not have the low speed torque and electric does.

Another thing to consider is heat. Wet powered motors create alot of heat and without cooling air flowing over them they will fail quickly or start to loose power.

Then you have to look at weight. By the time you are said and done your machine will weigh alot more then a compairable sized electric. You still need all the same things an electric does along with an extra servo for throttle, the heavy motor and a fuel tank etc. You will need a very strong chassis to support the power system of a wet powered truck.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Nitro and crawling do not mix in my opinion only.

Crawling is about slow calculated moves. Nitro engines will not be able to go slow. They are not made to go slow. two stroke engines are made to scream. High RPM is how u get power. You need power at 10 RPM or 5 RPM to crawl.

But to each is own. If you go Nitro, good luck and have fun as having fun is the most important part of any hobby.
Savrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Nitro and crawling don't mix very well at all, no, but, you may have a better chance with the 4 stroke over a 2 stroke.. May...

Heat, airflow and clutch bells are definate issues to deal with.... I haven't seen many clutches that will engage fully, without slip, at low RPM and not have some kinda chatter when idling... Maybe if you could keep the revs high and had some kinda serious reduction unit in the line somewhere...

I'm not too savvy with the 4 stroke nitro engines... What I DO know of them tho' is they need a lot more displacement to get the same kinda grunt as a 2 stroker, but, being 4 stroke it should run a lot cooler than it's 2 stroke displacement equivalent...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, from someone with 20+ years of back ground in the hobby - if you manage to gear something nitro low enough to crawl with it, you're going to break the engine in short order. Just get lipo and brushless stuff if you want more runtime
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

cant a gear box be made so the engine is turning high revs but the output is turning slow, maybe through gearing it WAY down or some kind of slipper system?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Talking

I like your idea, unlike everyone else who posted here. I would use a revo trans (ebay +- $35). Use the jato spur and clutch bell with it. I would try to find a 4 stroke engine with a metric shaft (so you can use the traxxas gears). use the revo diffs, and make a tube axle housing for it. just lock the diffs with jb weld. good idea i think. if your worried about cooling the 4 stroke, put in a radio shack electric fan, or a cpu fan out of a computer. small, light, and will run on 6v.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #12

Heat Issue
Heat Issue
yzfrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

get some PC water cooling components and build a recirculating cooling system.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
Just run a quick search for "nitro crawler." You will finds loads of information on the subject.
Best advise yet.

Do yourself a favor and don't get the "I'll show you guys" attitude it will only cost you loads of cash, with nothing worthwhile to show for it.

We have heard it all before, not a single person has ever built one that actually works.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver
Do yourself a favor and don't get the "I'll show you guys" attitude it will only cost you loads of cash, with nothing worthwhile to show for it.

We have heard it all before, not a single person has ever built one that actually works.
x2

It'll save you money, and alot of headaches in the long run, to just go electric. Even if you make something reasonably worthy, I'm guessing not many clubs will let you compete with it. The Colorado guys run comps in alot of semi-public places. We are tolerated mostly because the electric rigs are very quiet, and usually pretty slow.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

if your stuck on not doing electric try going the way I've been working on for a couple years now. Find an old Diesel snowthrower and build a SUPER crawler out of it. But forget getting the parts at a hobby shop!
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

nitro Don't Crawl.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #18

maybe i should clear some things up here.... it is a 4 stroke gas engine that has been machined to a 4 stroke diesel(runs on straight diesel)... the cooling issues have been solved already... the engine going into the crawler is out of my RC tugboat... when i build or buy any toy for a hobby i go for realizm... now as for cooling... i have a PC fan cooling the motor same thing i had in my tug... the engine is bout twice the size as the traxxas 2.5 and idles right round 1000 rpm and goes to 15k.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink008
when i build or buy any toy for a hobby i go for realizm...the engine is bout twice the size as the traxxas 2.5
how in the world is motor that size going to look real?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink008
maybe i should clear some things up here.... it is a 4 stroke gas engine that has been machined to a 4 stroke diesel(runs on straight diesel)... the cooling issues have been solved already... the engine going into the crawler is out of my RC tugboat... when i build or buy any toy for a hobby i go for realizm... now as for cooling... i have a PC fan cooling the motor same thing i had in my tug... the engine is bout twice the size as the traxxas 2.5 and idles right round 1000 rpm and goes to 15k.
i say go for it!
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote