Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: a TLT coversion kit- What are my options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #1

Default a TLT coversion kit- What are my options?

I'm brand spankin' new to crawling though I've been in offroad/MT RC for a few years. I just bought a TLT kit and want to convert it to a just-for-fun crawler. Maybe I'll compete somewhere down the line, but now I'm just looking to learn to crawl so I don't need to break the bank on a $$$ comp crawler.
Basically, I need to find a good balance of performance, style (looks), and price. Whatever it is, I'm going to throw a 55t Integy motor with an XRS ESC.
Here's a few I've found already. I'm leaning toward the Tracer since I won't have to buy any extra gear for it except wheels and a body.
http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/chassiskits.html#sw2

Also, the SW2 looks cool, but what else would I need to buy with it? I know I'd need a Pede tranny, but anything else?
http://www.bendercustoms.com/chassis.htm

What would I need to go along with the XRC 2.2 TLT chassis?

Also, does the TLT accept any 2.2 rim? If not, are there adapters available?

Thanks for any help you could give me!

Russell
rustlemauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

For cheapness go XRC package 2, then get a pair 3.5" shocks and a pair of 4" shocks!
Buy a 60/40 setup from him, with pede holes drilled and buy a pede trans from someone~OR~buy the XRC with R2 trans holes, and buy a r2, which is more bulletproof, smaller size, and all metal!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I personally go with 4 in shocks with a 2 1/2 in spring because I like droop. If you dont want droop go with 3 in then. Hope that helps.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

There is always the option of making your own shock springs.....
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #5

Do you guys know if Revo rockers will give my stock TLT more articulation?

BTW- I think I'm going to save up for the XRC 4! That's one sweet ride.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlemauser
Do you guys know if Revo rockers will give my stock TLT more articulation?
I'm not sure how you would go about putting Revo rockers on a TLT. Are familiar with a Revo suspension setup? A cantilever type independant setup with inboard shocks, as opposed to the standard straight-axle, coilover setup on your TLT.

Or are you talking about converting the tlt to cantilever suspension? Sounds like way too much of a headache with no gain. Most popular comp chassis/suspension setups are getting as much articulation as you can with straight axles as it is.
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The stock TLT suspension IS a cantelever setup, I think he want's to know if the Revo parts will make it flex better than the stock ones. IMO I would ditch the stock setup and go the way everyone else has theirs setup. Some people tried for a long time to get a canti setup to work and finally dumped the idea. I have had SW2's since they came out and I think it is one if not the best all around tlt chassis made. It can be a basher, comp rig, semi scaler, 14'er, or a super.You can use tlt axles, TXT axles, clod axles and probably wheely king axles (although I have not seen any). I would go SW2.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #8

I do like the SW2 and have heard nothing but good things about it, but after buying electronics, 2.2 rims, and a set of MOABs, money is tight.

Until I save the money for a good chassis, would Revo rockers be a cheap way to get more articulation? The only reason I ask this is that I've read about a bunch of guys putting them on their PTI rigs, and I assumed the larger size meant more strength and articulation.

What about changing shocks? Will Maxx shocks fit the stock chassis, and will they give better performance?

Thanks for all the advice.
Russell
Old 03-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Hey rustle, the sw2 is very nice. Personally, it is only for some terrain because it is narrow. less to hang up on, and less stability. It depends what terrain you will be crawlin on. Check out reignrc too or other sites.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Crawler Chassis Listing
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote