Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: internal and external springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default internal and external springs

hi, what does 'internal' and 'external' mean when it comes to springs? ive been reading some threads about the droop suspension setup , and i never quite figured out what people meant when they said 'internal' or 'external' ...
carmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to be nice and answer this one .... 'internal' the springs on the inside of the shocks . 'external' springs on the outside of the shocks . droop suspension .......... the springs are on the inside of the shock . but you place the springs under the pistion , so the shockes are compressed . that gives you drop in your shocks ( DROOP) it works good but takes alot of work to make it right . you will need to try many spring rates , and oil to get it right . I have been workin' on a droop setup for a few weeks now . it is just starting to work for me . here is the build on my Rig . Team NRC new tuber !
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Badd, that is a sweet looking tuber. Nice build.
Are you still running the Revo shocks? You mentioned a switch to Maxx units but the pics all have the Revo's.
Are the bodies of those bigger diameter than Maxx bodies? They look a bit bigger in the pics.
I've been working on a droop set up myself and have had trouble finding good springs for Hot Bodies aluminum shocks I'm currently using. They seem to be a slightly smaller diameter body than others, and most 1:18 buggy springs are too big. I'm about to start looking for an alternative...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Badd, that is a sweet looking tuber. Nice build.
Are you still running the Revo shocks? You mentioned a switch to Maxx units but the pics all have the Revo's.
Are the bodies of those bigger diameter than Maxx bodies? They look a bit bigger in the pics.
I've been working on a droop set up myself and have had trouble finding good springs for Hot Bodies aluminum shocks I'm currently using. They seem to be a slightly smaller diameter body than others, and most 1:18 buggy springs are too big. I'm about to start looking for an alternative...
I did change to Hot Bodies Maxx size shocks . the only reason is the bodies them selfs are taller helped add a little height to my rig . other than that the revo worked nice . but I thnk the 1/2" or so in height will help . as for springs I found some at ACE Hardware they had many different rates also My Team mate had some. together I have found a setup I like now .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Badd. You're running the exact same shock I am then. I just need to keep looking, there has to be springs out there somewhere that suit my needs. I really don't want to rework my rig for a different shock, everything about my set up is great right now, only I'd like to come up with some different rate springs to fine tune things further. But if I have to go with a different shock I'm prepared to - this droop set up is just working too good to go back to a convetional set up.
Part of my issue is that Home Depot and Lowes have driven all other hardware stores out of business around here. Either of them are as big as 3 or 4 football fields, yet will consistantly NEVER have what I'm looking for.
If you want a ceiling fan or a garage door opener or some paint or light bulbs or something, you're golden. Need any kind of real hardware, you're screwed.
I think there is still an Ace Hardware a few towns over from me - but this is Northern Virginia, a "few towns over" nowadays can mean over an hour in transit. If I can find some decent springs it would be worth it though...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
I'm going to be nice and answer this one ....
thanks for being nice! im really sorry if this really was such a stupid question, pushing the vehicle downwards was such an alien concept to me , but not so much anymore after reading your post
your tuber... alot more going on than first meets the eye! it looks like it will work well... i guess 'droop' is more than just having no springs, here you have downwards springs , and still others have both internal and external springs to hold , i am still fascinated by the aspect of crawlers that they work in a truly 3-dimensional environment...
carmatic is offline   Reply With Quote