Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Rock/Trail/Mud truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rock/Trail/Mud truck

So I have been searching around but still have a few questions about trucks. I would like to build a scale truck that I can use on the rocks, trails and mud when I want to. The TLT's are cool because they only need one motor and the "realness" of the drivetrain but look a lot more complicated to set up for a newb. I think a clod would be easier for me to build the first time but is there any difference to waterproof the two? Can a clod be used in the mud as well as a TLT can? On 2.2 rigs, can you tell me the actual scale of the vehicle? I have seen quite a few early bronco bodies but can't seem to find where to buy one. I am looking at building this as I can afford it since I already have way too many hobbies. I will probably build my own chassis and do as much of that stuff that I can. Anyways, thanks for any help. More stupid questions to follow.
tjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Either a TLT or a Clod will both make suitable mud-boggers. And really, a TLT's driveline isn't that complicated, especially if you go with a ready-made aftermarket chassis. As for waterproofing, the electronics are all you really need to worry about. There is a discussion going on about building axles specifically with mudding in mind here.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcrawler View Post
So I have been searching around but still have a few questions about trucks. I would like to build a scale truck that I can use on the rocks, trails and mud when I want to. The TLT's are cool because they only need one motor and the "realness" of the drivetrain but look a lot more complicated to set up for a newb. I think a clod would be easier for me to build the first time but is there any difference to waterproof the two? Can a clod be used in the mud as well as a TLT can? On 2.2 rigs, can you tell me the actual scale of the vehicle? I have seen quite a few early bronco bodies but can't seem to find where to buy one. I am looking at building this as I can afford it since I already have way too many hobbies. I will probably build my own chassis and do as much of that stuff that I can. Anyways, thanks for any help. More stupid questions to follow.
I am in your shoes now too. I went went building a clod cuz i think it's kinda easier to do. Mine will see mud/rocks/trails just like yours too and it's not a competiton rig or anything like that. From my research, you can dip the axles complete under water without doing much damamge. I also read that the motors can run under water too (there's a video of it). Of course after being a submarine for the day, you gotta pop the axles apart and clean/dry em out.

As for the bodies, check out the vender section here.

Here's some:
http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/bodies.html
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to both you guys, very helpful info. I might get into more hardcore rockcrawling later on but for now I just play around in the woods and the backyard with my Nylints which kinda sucks because I broke a rear coupler the other day, stole one from my other jeep and broke a front one about 15 minutes ago, FRICK! Anyways, Nylints are cheap but really hard to find parts for now and break way to easy so I guess this is the next step. I think I am going to buy some clod axles, wheels and tires and start building from there. My ultimate goal is to have something that looks scaleish but works well. If you have seen this vid, I REALLY like the early bronco about halfway through. ORCRC Mudfest: Gabriel Park 2007
Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Personally, I'd go with a TLT-1 based truck. The drivetrain doesn't take much to get it going. Plus with a Clod you'll have to worry about two motors that are mounted low because of the Clod's design.
Zombie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Funny you should say that, I was just looking at this kit http://www.orcrc.com/crawlmart/kits.htm (the rockbuster). I do have another question though. I am used to my 1:6 nylint and I like the large size of it. What scale are the 2.2 rigs that everyone builds? I was thinking about using the rockbuster kit with some 2.2 wheels/tires and either the wrangler or bronco body from here http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/bodies.html, work, no, I don't know what the hell I'm doing?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The wheelbase is usually 12" (axle to axle) if that helps. The TLT-1 is pretty small out of the box, but it ends up looking like those trucks in the mud video you posted once you upgrade/mod the chassis and add links and wheels/tires. Also check the gallery in the scale section. Some of them have a list of things they've done to their trucks.

You can check tire sizes here.

**ULTIMATE TIRE SIZE LISTING**
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks zombie, your a huge help.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

No problem. I'm not a crawler pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I spend a lot of time here reading. I did a budget crawler a couple years back, but now I'm planning my next project, which is a trail truck. I have a bunch of parts and I'm almost ready to start.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

thats not a bronco, thats a land rover defender
toomessedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I use this for tire sizes:
http://www.outcastrc.com/features/scales/scales.htm

You know you can save some moola and just run your nylint tires if you prefer to do so. Just order this so you have the adapters to fit the nylint wheel on clod axles:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXGB72

The second item from the left in the picture is the adapters you need and it includes four plus some other crap that may be useful later on.

I am going to mount my extra set of nylint tires and wheels for now and have a second set of swamp dawgs (boggers) for when i need a coat or two of mud

I am coming from the nylints too and i'm kinda used to running the large scale 1:6 rigs. I almost won a 1:6 new bright jeep wrangler on ebay but lost at the last second. My plan was to run nylint tires on clod axles with that body and it would've been sweet....oh well. Now i'm settling for the 1:10 scale since i can't find that body anywhere.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomessedup View Post
Hey, Mr. Know-it-all! Get off the internet!
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i have seen some good wheely king scale/trail rigs.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

One thing to keep in mind is that a truck built for bashing and mud wont handle good on the rocks. A rig built for the rocks wont do well in mud either. I say choose one way to build it so you dont end up with a rig that kinda sucks at both.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomessedup View Post

You almost scrolled down far enough.

The size is what I'm hanging on. I have never actually seen any other crawlers in person other than nylints so I don't have anything to compare to. To me 4inch tires and 12inch wheelbase seems too small but maybe not. I also thought about making a tube frame and using the nylint hood/grill as sort of a buggy but I don't know if I could use the TLT package for that or if I should use clod axles. Either way I think it will be about the same price. I wish I could get with someone and check out their stuff before I decide but I don't see many crawlers in SE Texas.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

im in cibolo, near san antonio. where the hell is groves?
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Groves is in SE TX near Beaumont. My father-in-law lives in SA but that doesn't do me any good:-( . I frequent Houston quite a bit but can't seem to find a club there, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

The K2-3L (a popular scale chassis) is 16.25" long and wide enough to house a Stampede tranny without anything hanging over. I don't know if that helps, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that a truck built for bashing and mud wont handle good on the rocks. A rig built for the rocks wont do well in mud either. I say choose one way to build it so you dont end up with a rig that kinda sucks at both.

I was thinking that but honestly I am not going to any comps or anything and as long has it climbs as well as my nylint (it has to) I would be happy. As far as the mud goes, I don't know why any vehicle with 4 wheel drive wouldn't work well in the mud, once again I am not looking at comps or anything just fun.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well I bought a clod roller off of John Deere here on the site. I got a good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. I still need a lot of stuff and I already started a build thread in the clod section but I guess since I have this one too I will keep it alive to ask the really dumb general questions. I will be putting it together as time and money allow but still leaning towards a trail/mud/climbing vehicle but time will tell. Here is a shot of the truck I got.