Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Can the Hustler conquer anything a Stick can?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
RCC Addict

and see that is what I mean..have you even seen my rig crawl?? and I wasnt compairing my rig to your rig I was compairing it to my other rigs..I have seen your build im not to hot on it..I have seen the vids you posted o btw all the super rig I have had have been using knuckle packs and the same tires and rims.. like I was saying one will say one thing and another will say another..there is no "best" chassis every chassis can be good or great..if links get in the way then how can the sw2 or sw3 brake over so well. it has alot to do with the rig setup and weight and where the weight is
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
the length of the links will never alllow the same climb.
After watching Kamikaze kick my azz at every comp...

I have to DIS-agree w/ your statement.
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
and see that is what I mean..have you even seen my rig crawl?? and I wasnt compairing my rig to your rig I was compairing it to my other rigs..I have seen your build im not to hot on it..I have seen the vids you posted o btw all the super rig I have had have been using knuckle packs and the same tires and rims.. like I was saying one will say one thing and another will say another..there is no "best" chassis every chassis can be good or great..if links get in the way then how can the sw2 or sw3 brake over so well. it has alot to do with the rig setup and weight and where the weight is
WTF, only pointing out I'm a 4link fan not a torsion/stick fan. I could care less what you think of my build. Do you really think I'm going to show vid's of what it can really do. Notice there only of it's initial test's.

Either way, nothing I said had ANYTHING to do with my rig. It simply compared STICK, TORSION(pimp cane, i presume)and HUSTLER's. That is what I answered to.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytard View Post
After watching Kamikaze kick my azz at every comp...

I have to DIS-agree w/ your statement.

Your right, but he asked about a HUSTLER.

Look how much shorter the rear links are, the fact he has digs, also notice his shock placement is towards axle giving much needed stability over the Hustler's design. ETC ETC.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #25
06 Super National Champ

I have both a Stick and a Hustler.

With equal mods the Stick, by design, will have the performance advantage with the same driver. CG is lower, breakover is better, etc.

Is the Hustler a nice chassis? Yes.

But if you really want to be competitive with the Hustler you'll need to spend some time tweaking the suspension. By tweaking I don't mean playing with link geometry (no options to do so on either the Stick or Hustler) I mean messing with shock oils, limiting travel (droop), and adding weight to the axles to counter the added weight of the tube frame.

Out of the package the Stick will give you better performance, but neither rig will perform well if you can't drive.

I wish the Hustler had attachment points front and rear for folks to attach limit straps. I hate using zip-ties to limit travel...looks like an afterthought.

Bottom line...if you want a Super tuber, get a Hustler.

If you want to compete and you still want a tuber, get some wheel time and start tuning. Learn to drive the truck. It'll only be as good as the driver.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 07-10-2007 at 10:03 AM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
I

I wish the Hustler had attachment points front and rear for folks to attach limit straps. I hate using zip-ties to limit travel...looks like an afterthought.
It was an afterthought
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
If you are going to spout out info be sure it is accuurate. That statement above is 100% incorrect.
actually it is correct, ill measure them when i get home from work.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #28
MODERHATER™

You sure have a good way with words!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post
actually it is correct, ill measure them when i get home from work.
So you have both a Hustler and a ?
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Interesting replies. Many thanks for the input guys. I can't say that I've ever had the chance to drive anything but my own Clod and TXT-1, which were more like backyard bashers then a crawlers. There are no comps. local to me, so I can only base my decisions off of people's comments who actually own the two different chassis's.

Personally, I prefer 4 links, and that is why I tend to like the Hustler more. Maybe I should ask, if the Hustler the best 4 link crawler out there? I'm not opposed to a stick chassis, but I don't know that it's for me.

I guess the stick will probably always have the best breakover angle. What I'd like to do is design and develope a chassis of my own that is 4 linked, but has a greater breakover angle. However, that may be a while and I am currently crawler-less, hence my interest in getting another truck together so I can run for fun, but just because it's for fun, doesn't mean I don't want the best performance I can get.

Another question - I assume the Hustler gets over the tough stuff, when high centered, simply by dragging itself over the rocks? Of course it's center clearance isn't as good as a Stick, but with the droop suspension, the axles drop low enough that the tires get traction. I see what you mean, Jason, when you say you need to tune the suspension and weight on the axles of a Hustler.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
I guess the stick will probably always have the best breakover angle. What I'd like to do is design and develope a chassis of my own that is 4 linked, but has a greater breakover angle.
No, that is not true, at full droop the Hustler has more center clearance than a stick or a torsion.

Quote:
Another question - I assume the Hustler gets over the tough stuff, when high centered, simply by dragging itself over the rocks? Of course it's center clearance isn't as good as a Stick, but with the droop suspension, the axles drop low enough that the tires get traction. I see what you mean, Jason, when you say you need to tune the suspension and weight on the axles of a Hustler.
Yes and no. It depends on wheter or not you limit the suspension. Again, when the Hustler's suspension in not limited it does not need to drag the belly as much. If you do limit it, it will drag, but in most cases it will still get over the obstacle.

The sticks, and torsions are both great chassis as can be seen by the number of comp wins racked up by each. There have also been several comps, as well as series, won by the Hustler. It really boils down to personal preferance and driving ability as to which will come out on top at any given event.

Why not get one of each.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
but he built the " ultimate clod " , yeah right............ please.............

Your too funny!
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #33
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Personally, I prefer 4 links, and that is why I tend to like the Hustler more. Maybe I should ask, if the Hustler the best 4 link crawler out there? I'm not opposed to a stick chassis, but I don't know that it's for me.
I sure like my SW2 clod super 4 link. A couple of them were Top 5 in supers in Colorado this winter series. One placed first overall.

Last comp, all top 5 were SW2 clods.

Last edited by 666; 07-10-2007 at 12:44 PM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I RAN A SW-2 CHASSIS AT the donner comp it did really good but i broke the servo horn so i only come in the top 16th place not bad.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #35
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
snip.....The big disadvantage to a tuber in a competitive atmosphere is the added weight above the axles created by the tube frame. Adjustments must be made down low with added weight at the axles and wheels in order to compensate for the added weight of the frame. Frames such as a Stick or Torsion chassis will always have an added advantage as the majority of the frame is made up of a Lexan body. .....snip
I wouldn't always assume a tuber is heavier or more top heavy than a bodied chassis setup. A fairly complex Clod tuber with body panels will usually weigh about a pound. Any idea what the Hustler is? Given it's compact design, I'd think it would be less than that.

On a traditional chassis, you still have to top it with what can be a fair bit of body weight, depending on which you use.

Just a data point.....a 10' stick of 3/16 x .035" tube weighs about 9 oz.

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I have been running a CFNN in the last couple PARC comps and have been having fun! I have a hustler I am building and will bring to the next comp, and let people that know how to drive drive it and see what they think. As Jay can attest I suck and no chassis is going to change that, so my opinion doesn't much matter, but PARC has some good drivers and I would love to see what they think of the rig.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #37
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbernatchez View Post

Your too funny!

Attaching the word "Ultimate" to anything is funny...and over-used.

Ultimate is a relative term that leaves itself open to interpretation by each person's opinion.

Ultimate to you can be perceived as a turd to others.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #38
20K Club

Quote:
I have both a Stick and a Hustler.

With equal mods the Stick, by design, will have the performance advantage with the same driver. CG is lower, breakover is better, etc.

Is the Hustler a nice chassis? Yes.

But if you really want to be competitive with the Hustler you'll need to spend some time tweaking the suspension. By tweaking I don't mean playing with link geometry (no options to do so on either the Stick or Hustler) I mean messing with shock oils, limiting travel (droop), and adding weight to the axles to counter the added weight of the tube frame.

Out of the package the Stick will give you better performance, but neither rig will perform well if you can't drive.

Bottom line...if you want a Super tuber, get a Hustler.

If you want to compete and you still want a tuber, get some wheel time and start tuning. Learn to drive the truck. It'll only be as good as the driver.
That seems like an excellent opinion and completely logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Why not get one of each.
That sounds like the best advice! Plus, how freaking cool do those chassis' look!

Quote:
"Turd" haha, just funny.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Personally, I prefer 4 links, and that is why I tend to like the Hustler more. Maybe I should ask, if the Hustler the best 4 link crawler out there? I'm not opposed to a stick chassis, but I don't know that it's for me....QUOTE...

Than just buy one (hustler) and drive it. YES IT WILL BE THE BEST ONE BECAUSE YOU ARE CRAWLING BY YOURSELF Just tell yourself when you get done driving it that your the best your truck is the best and gosh darn it people like me JUST GET ONE AND HAVE FUN
draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Attaching the word "Ultimate" to anything is funny...and over-used.

Ultimate is a relative term that leaves itself open to interpretation by each person's opinion.

I agree, its way to broad to define something. It'll never please everyone. Ive thought that all along, thats why I thought it was funny that Unimoger pointed it out.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote