Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Can the Hustler conquer anything a Stick can?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post
actually it is correct, ill measure them when i get home from work.
So what happened?
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
So what happened?
Must have forgotten his tape measure.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Alright guys, thanks for the info.

One more question, regarding these droop suspension crawlers. They run internal shock springs. Do the springs go on the piston end or the rod end of the shocks?
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #44
06 Super National Champ

Not all of them run internal springs. I have two here that don't use springs.

Those that do run internal springs install them so that they cause the shock to retract...putting the spiring under the piston.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

I see. So most times it's nothing more then the shear weight of the axles that cause the suspension to droop or articulate - like the rocks falling out from beneath them. There really isn't anything to force the axles down, unless the crawler has independent front/rear speed controllers and you throttle the rear motor to bunch up the slack in the suspension? The belly must drag a lot when the suspension droops.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
The belly must drag a lot when the suspension droops.
Can the Hustler conquer anything a Stick can?
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I see. So most times it's nothing more then the shear weight of the axles that cause the suspension to droop or articulate - like the rocks falling out from beneath them. There really isn't anything to force the axles down, unless the crawler has independent front/rear speed controllers and you throttle the rear motor to bunch up the slack in the suspension? The belly must drag a lot when the suspension droops.
actually on a rigid axle truck and the droop suspension the opposite side of teh axle also plays a major factor in the suspension travel. as that tire you mentioned before the rocks fall away the weight of the wheel tire combo forces down the tire but so does the force applied to the opposite tire on that axle.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytard View Post
Wise guy! I read that reply, but it doesn't make sense to me in all situations, because if the axles, simply following the terrian, is what makes the suspension droop, then what happens when you are climbing a ledge head on, but perpendicular to the truck? The front tires climb up onto the ledge. The chassis approaches the ledge. The front tires continue to roll forward, and the chassis high centers itself. The chassis belly would hit, but the axles would keep rolling forward, or try to, then the front suspension would droop, even though the belly of the chassis might be dragging, correct? I guess I am looking at it from a worst case situation, where the truck normally would not have enough break over angle with the suspension in a natural, compressed state. Or, in other words, the Hustler droop suspension will increase the clearance, and allow the axles enough float so that the tires remain in contact to the ground, thus pulling the truck along, even if the chassis belly is dragging.

I am I right?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #49
Adilynsdad too!

I only have one thing to say!

My nitro Revo crawler with Nylint electronics is better than both!
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Or, in other words, the Hustler droop suspension will increase the clearance, and allow the axles enough float so that the tires remain in contact to the ground, thus pulling the truck along, even if the chassis belly is dragging.

I am I right?
Yes, that is correct.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
I only have one thing to say!

My nitro Revo crawler with Nylint electronics is better than both!
Wow that's worse than a triple dog dare!!!
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #52
RCC Addict

my opinion on the hustler (ok i have not tryed a stick chassie but just my opinion) is that i like it alot, had a coilover shock based rig before the hustler and i can do everything i did with the past rig, and it does better on sidehills, climbing steep rocks and overall i love the hustler, only thing i have on this rig is that dont break over sharp V shaper rocks, but it may be my foult or my setup. As for limiting straps u dont need to use zip ties, i used cable shoes and thin plastic coverd wire attached to the upper shock mounts and to the under link shock mount, works sooo much better now! a must do on a hustler imo, but as everyone says u have to play with the setup to suit ur driving style! Thx for the Hustler RCP Guys...crawling just got soo much more fun!
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #53

Quote:
I stand corrected. I've only 'read' about the Hustler's victories in a couple different places. No crawling comps for me to watch in person, around here. Nobody I know does any crawling. I guess 'many' wasn't the right word, but never the less it must be the regional wins I have read. One would think a stick chassis would be in the regionals as well, however.

RCP, quite a modest reply, seeings how you sell the Hustlers. Honesty is a good thing. Thanks for the input. I would not be buying a Hustler to compete, but for my own enjoyment. I'm pretty much all alone here, in Wisconsin.
I'm here for you buddy
bucwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucwild View Post
I'm here for you buddy
Wow, a lot has changed since '06! I'm surprised you even found this thread. Finally I do have a Hustler. Now we just need to get together in the spring and see what she's got.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #55
Rock Stacker

I compete with a Hustler against the sticks, torsions, you name it at our socal comps. I have a bunch of money invested into my Hustler crawler (total so fare $3000). Even thought it's one of the most expensive crawlers out there it sucked at the begining because it was totally set up wrong and couldn't even go where 2.2s could go. But after a year playing with it and getting the correct combination this rig will take on any stick or torsion and be very competitive.
The biggest difference I see in the hustler and the sticks is that it doesn't like to side hill very good and it has a little harder time going up steep walls compared to the sticks. But as fare as getting high centered it's not that big of a issue. You just need a little more speed to slid the belly over the rocks and let the tires pull it the rest of the way. But the BIGGEST differece is that the Hustler LOVES to crawl slowwww and will take on vertical drops and vertical walls with eas and being in controll the whole time.
I love how my Hustler turned out and the only way I might try another chassis is if the Hustler 2 came out.
Mine's the orange one

rockbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

So what exactly is the hot set-up with these? The chassis itself is pretty simple. As for tuning, you really only have shock length, shock oil, and shock position to play with. The rest seems to mostly be weight balancing, motors, gearing, and battery packs - nothing any different then any other crawler. From a set-up standpoint, it doesn't seem to complicated.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
So what exactly is the hot set-up with these? The chassis itself is pretty simple. As for tuning, you really only have shock length, shock oil, and shock position to play with. The rest seems to mostly be weight balancing, motors, gearing, and battery packs - nothing any different then any other crawler. From a set-up standpoint, it doesn't seem to complicated.
I was wondering the same thing....at this point my CFNN out performs my Hustler. I was actually thinking of putting a spring suspension on the rear of the hustler has anyone tried this??
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

ohhhh nooo. there is ALOT more to play with than just elctronics. You really have to play with the 4link geometry and the length of the rig. Since the rigs are so long you have alot of axle steer and that's the biggest pain trying to figure how to get rid of axle steer.

I would say the hottest set up is a 6 channel radio with (this is a must) channel mixxing and dual ESCs.
rockbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #59
MODERHATER™

I have been thinking on trying my Hustler with Revo shocks, sprung.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I have been thinking on trying my Hustler with Revo shocks, sprung.
Did that and found that I cant get it to cycle fully without a sufficient amount of binding. :-(
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote