Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Can the Hustler conquer anything a Stick can?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Can the Hustler conquer anything a Stick can?

I'm really getting the itch to build my most capable Clod crawler yet. I've really been wanting to get a Hustler, just as soon as they are in stock again, but I know those pesky Stick chassis's are some of the most extreme performing ones yet. Stick and torsion based chassis designs just don't do anything for me. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate their performance, but I like something that looks a little more like a chassis. The question is I see these Hustler Clods taking many victories. I know there are many variables to determine that, but the Hustlers must be at least as capble, if not more so. I've never driven either, so I don't know. For those who have, what are your thoughts? I'll probably buy a Hustler no matter what, but wanted to know anyway, so I know what I can expect. I'm sure a Hustler would be 30 times better then any of my past crawlers.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
I see these Hustler Clods taking many victories.
Were do you see this. Last major comp results I saw there were 2 sticks, 1 pimp cane, 1 custom tuber, 1 plate chassis in the top 5.

The one hustler I saw in the top 10 was modified from stock.

Tubers have a place in the Super arena, the ultimate one has yet to be designed in my opinion.

Stick/Torsions will always be the Kings of Climbing. Luckly thats not all it's about.

H3
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My 2 cents:

It comes down to driver skills, set up and how comfortable you are with the rig. I believe a great driver can pretty much put any top notch chassis design in the winners circle with the right set up. Both the Stick and Hustler are top notch chassis designs in my opinion. You can't go wrong with either one. It all depends on how comfortable you are with them. I would try and find someone in a local club that you can test both trucks. That is one way you may get an idea which chassis suits you best. There are a few other good super chassis's out there, so don't limit yourself to just the two above. Try and test as many as you can. They all offer something a little different.

Edit:

I agree with H3, the Hustler has only won at regional levels as it is still very new to the crawling scene. The big disadvantage to a tuber in a competitive atmosphere is the added weight above the axles created by the tube frame. Adjustments must be made down low with added weight at the axles and wheels in order to compensate for the added weight of the frame. Frames such as a Stick or Torsion chassis will always have an added advantage as the majority of the frame is made up of a Lexan body. Less weight is needed down low to compensate which, in turn can create a better crawling truck. There are other factors involved and weight distribution is just one part of the puzzle. The guys in So Cal have been doing a lot of testing with the Hustler, trying a variety of different set ups. It will be interesting to see how they do at the nationals, with the best of the best drivers going head to head. I think the many chassis designs that are being created, is what makes this hobby so interesting. It has me hooked.

Last edited by Rockpiledriver; 07-10-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I stand corrected. I've only 'read' about the Hustler's victories in a couple different places. No crawling comps for me to watch in person, around here. Nobody I know does any crawling. I guess 'many' wasn't the right word, but never the less it must be the regional wins I have read. One would think a stick chassis would be in the regionals as well, however.

RCP, quite a modest reply, seeings how you sell the Hustlers. Honesty is a good thing. Thanks for the input. I would not be buying a Hustler to compete, but for my own enjoyment. I'm pretty much all alone here, in Wisconsin.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

a chassis, whether it be 2 ally plates, 2 carbon plates, 1 ally square tube, a tuber... whatever... is just a means onto which YOU set your suspension up on... some have a better "out the box" suspension configuration while some need more tweaking to get it right... in the end it comes to suspension setup and driver input... doesn't matter whats holding it all together.. it's what you do with it that counts..
landy_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

also, just because the hustler and the stick are top notch rigs doesnt mean they are the rig for you, you need to find the chassis/suspension style that best fits your driving style, because there is a difference in everbodies driving style!!

example:

in my local 1/10th scale stadium truck series, me and the guy that keep going back and forth for the chapionship this season are running almost identicle trucks

my truck:
losi xxx-nt ad2
o.s. .12tr
futaba 3pks radio
futaba servo's
losi silver dot tires\

his truck:
losi xx-nt ad2
o.s. .12tr
airtronics m11
airtronics servo's
losi red dot tires

are suspension setting are completely different, we have tried switching truck one day when we were practicing and our lap time were 15-20 slower then with our own trucks because we didnt like how each other had their truck set-up
So just keep in mind that when buying a crawler dont buy a chassis just because its good for everyone else do your research and ask rcp about the hustler and ask kevininlongisland about the stick, see what the handling differences are and make sure ou find the one that is right for you!!
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
Tubers have a place in the Super arena, the ultimate one has yet to be designed in my opinion.

Stick/Torsions will always be the Kings of Climbing. Luckly thats not all it's about.

H3

Aw come on, sure it has........
Attached Images

Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
RCC Addict

a stick has superior ground clearance, as well as break over clearance. so the answer to your question is no.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I have had a couple of sticks and I like my hustler alot better.works great for the way I drive and my setup..

I have found that if you like to drive fast the hustler does not seem to work well.I like to drive very slow with my supers
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post
a stick has superior ground clearance, as well as break over clearance. so the answer to your question is no.
If you are going to spout out info be sure it is accuurate. That statement above is 100% incorrect.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
MODERHATER™

They have about the same ground clearance/breakover from what I have seen.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
They have about the same ground clearance/breakover from what I have seen.
correct me if IM wrong but the center of the stick I have here is about 6" center ground clearance to the stick, the hustler is about half that I believe
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
MODERHATER™

Most I have seen are around 5-6", I do not have one but I have studied them closely.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
correct me if IM wrong...
...the hustler is about half that I believe
Just until the suspension drops the tires, to get traction...
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Im running about 3 1/2" at ride hight and about 4 1/2 at full droop..funny how my pimp cane had almost 5" and the hustler will brake over and walk up alot more..o wait wouldnt a hustler sidehill better bcuz it lower at ride hight? or is that just mine? I dont get how you think that the tuber adds alot of top weight..when the top of the tuber is inchs lower then the top of a stick with body on.. droop will soon take over.. at 1st everyone tho 4links what the best then come the stick none want to change and picked and picked at it..then come torsion poeple picked and picked saying that they wouldnt every work..now comes droop and its the same damn thing..I think the only people that know what is the "best" have had one of everytype of chassis out or atlest I know I have and Im staying with my hustler..feel free to correct me if Im worng
Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #16
MODERHATER™

I am wrong!! A owner has proved me wrong!! The ones I looked at I compared to mine and they seemed the same. I guess I need new glasses!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I am wrong!! A owner has proved me wrong!! The ones I looked at I compared to mine and they seemed the same. I guess I need new glasses!
I just got a new pair of glasses.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post

but he built the " ultimate clod " , yeah right............ please.............
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #19
RCC Addict

thats funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
but he built the " ultimate clod " , yeah right............ please.............
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
Im running about 3 1/2" at ride hight and about 4 1/2 at full droop..funny how my pimp cane had almost 5" and the hustler will brake over and walk up alot more..o wait wouldnt a hustler sidehill better bcuz it lower at ride hight? or is that just mine? I dont get how you think that the tuber adds alot of top weight..when the top of the tuber is inchs lower then the top of a stick with body on.. droop will soon take over.. at 1st everyone tho 4links what the best then come the stick none want to change and picked and picked at it..then come torsion poeple picked and picked saying that they wouldnt every work..now comes droop and its the same damn thing..I think the only people that know what is the "best" have had one of everytype of chassis out or atlest I know I have and Im staying with my hustler..feel free to correct me if Im worng
First off, I run 90% droop(4link) and 10% Torsion rig.

There is no logical way a Hustler can breakover as well. Droop all you want, the length of the links will never alllow the same climb. If your rig has knuckle packs and weight and the Torsion/Stick doesn't then YES you could outclimb them. That's irrelevent though.......unless your a non-comper wanting the best out-of-the-box crawler.

There are things a good tuber does better, Hustlers can be modified so the question should be.........How do I modify my Hustler to compete with..

I feel someone that is interested should be well informed of what is needed whether he compete's or not. He should never have to buy a second chassis, and he should know what MODs are a MUST.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote