LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #1

Default two stick or pistol

what do you guys like and use
was up24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I've used both, It really depends on what you're used to and what you wan to do with it..... That being said lets answer some quick questions that will help you decide.

#1 What do you have more experience with?

#2 What kind of rig are you using? -2.2 comp or scaler with dig or winch, or a super clod with independent motors

#3 do you need or want more than 3 channels, there are a few 4 channel pistols out there but none with 5 or more

#4 How much are you willing to spend?

#5 How good are you at programming computer radios

#6 How many models do you need to have in this radio?

Theres a few good ?'s to ask you're self and depending on what you're answers are will help us help you
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #3

i have more experence with pistols this is my first hobby rc and no programing i will be using this for the crawler but i will not be racing or any of that
was up24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I only had a few that were pistols some time ago. When I got back into it, and built my first crawler, I picked up a DX6 and now don't like the pistols. I think the DX6 spoiled me. If your going to be running a clod based crawler with dual steer and dual ESC's for dig, I wouldn't want to have to try and deal with all those channels on a pistol. The dual sticks mix all these without a sweat.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The manual for my Nomadio React is over 100 pages.

Where do i turn this thing on?

Go with a pistol.... TQ3. Upgrade later.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

OffRoader5,
Did you mod your DX6 for Throttle Spr1ng Return?

If so How....I have searched the forums for 2 days and have yet to find a pictorial or full written solution.
Building a AX-10 with4 wheel steer. I have a DX7 for my Planes & Helis.

thank you for your considerations,

Flynfrog
Flynfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The best solution is just order it with it already in there.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
The best solution is just order it with it already in there.
That is a option, but I just called horizon to do that and thay had quite the shpeel to give me. You buy the radio and then they send it back to the factory to have it modified. That sounds like it will take too long for my taste.

I see that the crawler store is now selljng dx6's, maybe they can stock modified dx6's for us or at least modify them for a fee.
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Actualy, I ordered mine through my local hobby shop, it took 3 days to come in, and I ordered it a 6 in the afternoon. Way less trouble than moding it your self. And you will want the BR6000 Rx, not the AR6000
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I ordered mine from Horizon, but didn't get the throttle return mod done. I still have not done it, but I have learned to like it better with no return anyways.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies. I did some tinkering last night & swapped the "Elevator" Dogleg/cam & Spring and installed it on the Throttle side of the gimble. I also had to tale off the Ratchet from the throttle & place it on the "elevator" side of the gimble.
It took less than 30 minutes.

Tonight I plan on making a pattern of the Dogleg/Cam (I should have kept it apart) and replicate the part on some scrap plastic (Plastic in/out box for your office mail - brittleness may vary). I hope to make the replica in under an hour. If someone has access to a CNC machine & a scanner that converted to CAD --a little hobby money could be made. I'll probably pull a "return" spring from an old TX - it may take a trip to the hardware store to find the proper length spring.

I'm a RC Plane flyer - just starting to assemble my AX10 with 4WS. I realize that having the "elevator" back on a spring return is not required for Crawling (single motor only on the AX10) --just a familiar feel.

Thank you again,

Flynfrog
Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well I fabricated / cut & sanded the Prototype Dogleg / Cam. Took about 30 minutes. The part worked OK, yet was wandering on the Gimble spindle In & Out and sometimes would stay tipped inbound. Looks like my plastic material was too thin- 2.35 mm where the OEM Dogleg /Cam was 3mm. The 1/2 hole (bearing surface) that rested on the gimble spindle was not wide enough to keep the part from tipping over under spring pressure- it needs a larger bearing surface. I'll find some 3mm stock later this week. Of course, 3mm light aircraft plywood would also work- just coat the bearing surface with CA glue. It's not like there is a lot of pressure & wear that the CA soaked edges could not handle.

Flynfrog
Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

It Works !!! I "thickened" both the bearing surface and the Pivoting end (non-spring)of the DogLeg /Cam. I pulled a gimble spring from an old radio (I may need a slightly stronger spring) and now the "elevator" self centers. Springs on all functions/sticks. About an hour total, I'll stick to saying it can be fabricate in 30 minutes with 3mm stock.

Almost $0.00 cost: scrap plastic 3mm, old TX gimble spring (or a visit to the hardware store for a new spring), 30 minutes to cut & shape the traced Dogleg/Cam from the same gimble (since it is out anyway). and No wiring or pot changes.

I'm pleasantly surprised I was able to complete the DX6 Gimble mod. I hope building th AX10 goes a smoothly.

Flynfrog
Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynfrog View Post
It Works !!! I "thickened" both the bearing surface and the Pivoting end (non-spring)of the DogLeg /Cam. I pulled a gimble spring from an old radio (I may need a slightly stronger spring) and now the "elevator" self centers. Springs on all functions/sticks. About an hour total, I'll stick to saying it can be fabricate in 30 minutes with 3mm stock.

Almost $0.00 cost: scrap plastic 3mm, old TX gimble spring (or a visit to the hardware store for a new spring), 30 minutes to cut & shape the traced Dogleg/Cam from the same gimble (since it is out anyway). and No wiring or pot changes.

I'm pleasantly surprised I was able to complete the DX6 Gimble mod. I hope building th AX10 goes a smoothly.

Flynfrog
You should have taken some pics and posted the step by step action. Then the rest of us would be able to save some time with this.
Well you could always start over.

The Gooch
El Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Gooch,
I did take a few Pics...would some one enlighten me on how to post attachments?

I actually did the Throttle Spring Return twice. Once to add the throttle spring and another time to fabricate & add the spring setup I borrowed from the elevator.

Option 1: Borrowing the Elevator Return Dogleg & Spring & placing it on the Throttle.
A. REmove the 6 screws from the DX6 back case
Old 12-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

DX6 Throttle Return Spring Mod instructions.

Gooch,
I did take a few Pics...would some one enlighten me on how to post attachments?

I actually did the Throttle Spring Return twice. Once to add the throttle spring and another time to fabricate & add the spring setup I borrowed from the elevator.

Option 1: Borrowing the Elevator Return Dogleg & Spring & placing it on the Throttle.
A. Remove the 6 screws from the DX6 back case
B. Remove the RX Battery
C. With the Antenna Facing away from you & the Back open,
The Throttle & Rudder Gimble will be on the RIGHT hand side.
D. Throttle Trim Pot will be the Right INSIDE small circuit board, it may also have the flat metal ratchet spring on the top.
E. Remove the 4 screws (phillips) on holding down the gimble assembly from the front face. There are indents in the corners to guide the screwdriver.
F. Gently Pull out the Throttle/Rudder Gimble Assembly.
G. Remove the 2 Silver/brass colored screws attaching the Throttle Trim Pot, remove the flat ratchet spring and put it aside (1 screw)
H. This completes the removal for the Throttle Trim Pot

I. Repeat the process for the Elevator Stick - Left Inside Trim Pot assembly.
We will be using the Elevator Spring Return to place on the Throttle Trim Pot.

J. Looking at the Spindle of the Elevator Trim pot, you will see the Dogleg & Spring setup that will be transferred to the Throttle stick.
K. Carefully pull off the Small return spring & remove the Dogleg.
L. Install the Dogleg & Spring onto the Throttle Trim Pot. the slot on the Dogleg opposite of the Spring hook rests on the bar of the in the small box creating a pivot point.
M. Carefully reassemble the Trim Pot INTO the GImble. Notice that there is a FLAT spot on the Trim Pot Spindle that is Keyed to the hole receiving hole in the Gimble. Do not use exccessive force to reassemble the gimble.
N. ReAttach the Trim Pot to the Gimble with the 2 small screws. Watch for the 2 small lifting prongs on the gimble stick. these lift the Dogleg up & down creating the return tension on the stick.
O. Test you New Throttle Return Stick setup - it should feel friction free & self center.
P. ReAttach the Throttle/Rudder Gimble to the Front face with the 4 screws. I found that if you place the screws in the corners of the gimble BEFORE sliding the Gimble back, the assembly is easier.

Q. Repeat the ReAssebmly procedure for the Elevator/Aileron Trim Pot & Gimble Assembly.
R. If you want Tension/Ratchet on the Elevator (right stick-vertical movement), Attach the Flat Throttle ratchet spring to the Elevator side of the Trim Pot. There will be a Pilot hole for the screw- it will be a little tight, go slow. If yo so not like the ratchet feel, place a piece of heat shrink tubing or fuel tubing over the "indent" in the ratchet spring. This will allow for tension but no ratchet.

This Completes the Elevator & Throttle Return Spring Swap. It does entail removing both Gimbles and Subtracts the return spring from the Elevator (2nd Throttle for a 2 motor setup).

If you need 2 Throttle Spring Returns or a dual motor setup. You will need to Add a Dogleg & spring assemble to the Elevator Trim Pot. Unfortunately the DX6 Manufacturer will require you send in the TX. I would suggest spending a few $$ & time to fabricate an exact copy of the Dogleg. There are 2 options- both require 30 minutes of fabrication.

Option 1: purchase the Spring return kit from: http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...products_id=46 this includes a Templat & the 3mm Piece of plastic to cut / sand the dogleg from - It also includes the Return spring. I discovered this After I fabricated my own setup.

Option 2: Fabricate your own Dogleg with a tracing of the Dogleg you swapped from th Elevator to the Throttle Trim Pot. You will need to find a small extension spring from an old TX or cut one down from a spring purchased from the hardware store. you can DeTemper (make Softer) the hardware spring by heating it with a Flame- you will see the spring Relax and soften the Pull. Place a loop in the both ends of the spring to attach to the spring slots.

My Dogleg Fabrication process:
A. Find a 3mm piece of scrap plastic (this can be built up from 2 thinner pieces & glud with CA).
B. Place a piece of Masking tape on the piece of plastic- this will be used to trace the Dogleg onto - it makes it easier to cut & sand to the outline.
C. Find a drill that matches the 1/2 hole in the DogLeg. Drill a hole into the plastic near an edge. This hole will determine where we trace the Original DogLeg onto the plastic.
D. Trace the DogLeg onto the plastic using the drilled hole as the pivot point for the spindle. you willbe sanding 1/2 of the hole away during the cut & sand process.
E. Cut & Sand the New DogLeg from the plastic. I used a bandsaw (scrollsaw will work) and a bench sanding wheel/ belt. The most important surface of the DogLeg is the Flat surface adjacent to the Pivot !/2 hole. It must Be Flat inorder to Evenly lift the 2 knobs on the Gimble spindle.
F. Attach the DogLeg as described above.
G. ReAssemble the TripPot to The gimble & then ReAttach the gimble to the front face.

I hope this is of some benefit to other DX6 /DX7 users. Purchasing a Dogleg from the manufactured would be a lot easier.

Flynfrog / Ron

Last edited by Flynfrog; 12-15-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmonger View Post
That is a option, but I just called horizon to do that and thay had quite the shpeel to give me. You buy the radio and then they send it back to the factory to have it modified. That sounds like it will take too long for my taste.

I see that the crawler store is now selljng dx6's, maybe they can stock modified dx6's for us or at least modify them for a fee.
If you order the dx6 directly from horizon they will do the left stick mod for free and it will only delay shipping about one day, you have to talk to a service technician to have it done. horizon hobby owns spektrum they do not have to ship it to the factory. If you have the mod done they will do it before it gets shipped to you.
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
If you order the dx6 directly from horizon they will do the left stick mod for free and it will only delay shipping about one day, you have to talk to a service technician to have it done. horizon hobby owns spektrum they do not have to ship it to the factory. If you have the mod done they will do it before it gets shipped to you.
This is some tangible info I have been waiting for. Any of you DX6 owners with the preinstalled self centering mod got a name for a service tech.? I got to many phone transfers to different people down at horizon hobby when I asked for this mod.
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #19

All you have to do is call and place the order and tell them you want to left stick centering mod done to it, if they dont know what you are talking about (which they wont) tell them to speak with a service technician and they will tell them what to do about it getting it done. I have not ordered one that way but have spoke to them about it and I was told as long as the remote was orderd directly from horizon they will do it for free and will only delay shipping 1 day. Most of the people who take orders dont know much about rc so just be patient with them and it will get taken care of.
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #20

i phoned them up and then sent my dx 6 back to them and they did the mod free of charge and i had it back in less then
a week from when i sent it to them. they are super and easy to work with.
joen007 is offline   Reply With Quote