Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: OK I have some dumb ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #1

Default OK I have some dumb ?

Ok, I'm new to crawling. I've been around nitro MT's and things like that for 4 or five years now. but I'm a kid (14) and buyin fuel and all the support stuff for my nitros was getting pricey. So I decided that electric powered trucks are cheaper, cleaner, and better for me. (Me and nitro fumes didn't get along too well.)So now I'm asking what the cheapest and best way to get into crawling is? Is the new Axial AX10 Scorpion any good? I'm building a rock course to play around on.(Yes building, we don't have natural rocks all over the place around here in KS lol) Is a super chassie worth the money? I've been looking at the stick. But it looks like I have to buy seperate axles. That's not a horrible thing, but that takes money. Money's not horribly tight, because I've sold my nitros. But I don't want to go overboard. I have about $600 to spend. Oh and btw I have batteries and a good digital charger. Also, are dirt hawgs a good all around tire for crawling?

Thanks Bryan
New2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

If you are building your own course a 2.2 rig is the way to go. A super rig probably won't be challenged at all by your rock pile. The Scorpion is a great way to get into crawling for a reasonable price too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Bender is right. As for Dirt Hawg tires, they'd get the job done but not nearly as good as Proline Moabs, Mashers, Losi Rock Clawz and Axial Rock Lizards. And the axles on the Axial Scorpion are included.

Happy Crawling!!:-P
goslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #4

you know i never really thought about it.. but i bet with every other lug cut off a set of dirthawgs theyd be pretty good on a crawler...

now.. where did i put that spare set of tires :P
turbored21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #5

Is there a way to mount my dirt hawgs on the scorpion? What about on clod axles? There on the 40series cheyennes, but on the 23mm hex. Also, can I use a Duratrax IntelliSpeed mild mod esc to run dual motors like on clod axles? I really like the Team Carnage Crew Hustler. I know it's a super, and it uses clod axles, but I think the long wheelbase will do me some good. I'm working on clearing some path's through our woods, and there's lots of veritical climbs with really slick rocks.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2 View Post
Is there a way to mount my dirt hawgs on the scorpion? What about on clod axles? There on the 40series cheyennes, but on the 23mm hex. Also, can I use a Duratrax IntelliSpeed mild mod esc to run dual motors like on clod axles? I really like the Team Carnage Crew Hustler. I know it's a super, and it uses clod axles, but I think the long wheelbase will do me some good. I'm working on clearing some path's through our woods, and there's lots of veritical climbs with really slick rocks.
the scorpion is a 2.2 truck. meaning it uses 2.2 size tires. 40 series would be ridiculously big on a 2.2. 40 series are for supers. the hustler chassis and some clod axles make for one sweet super. but i dont think 600 is gonna cut it for a setup like that. not sure about the esc.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #7

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure about the 40's on the scorpion. The RCP crawlers websight (www.rcpcrawlers.com) says they have a kit the includes the chassie, clod axles, tires, wheels, shocks and everything I need to put it together, minus tranny, and electronics. I have electronics off my old nitro stuff (DX3, and 2 Hi tec hi torque servos and the esc if it'll by chance work) and tranny wise, I'm thinking a RC4WDR2 with disconnect. If I have to save to get what I really want, then I will. The big problem is the web sight says it's out of stock. Do they not have the web sight up to date or are these trucks a special order thing? or are they making more? lol sorry I'm full of questions, I'll be hated on this sight before it's over.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

If the kit you want has or uses clod axles, you don't need a seperate transmission. The clod axles have built in gearboxes.
lesannatrevor is offline   Reply With Quote