Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Suspension set-ups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #1

Default Suspension set-ups

What is the difference between the different suspension setups, i.e. what does "droop" mean?
Rhino 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Droop is no uptravel from rest, all down travel. This is different from sprung which is how most trucks (and cars) are set up, where there is a relatively equal amount of up and down travel. Try searching for hustler for a droop example.
teamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #3

So what is the benifits? Does it have a lower ride hight? How does it react on the rocks, is the purpose to lower the CG?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino 10 View Post
So what is the benifits? Does it have a lower ride hight? How does it react on the rocks, is the purpose to lower the CG?
Droop Vs. others

read up.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #5

So I'm going to ask a stupid question here, but I would asume that you when you flip over the shock you would put the spring inside the barrell before you put in the piston and rod? I would assume that you are using the fluid to help slow down the piston. Bt what wt. shock oil do you use number one, and number two what springs do you put in the barrell? I would greatly appreciate any help that you could pass along.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

No offense but read up. There is no right answer, for every truck, driver and whim, there is an opinion on oil weight (opinion vary from 10wt to 3000wt), some guys run hi-lift springs, some run tru-value springs.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #7

I am not trying to be lazy, I have read up today and until earlier I had no idea what "droop" was. Like most people I am a "NITRO" guy, and I have been in this hobby for several years. However I am new.... ok very new to crawlin' and some of the terminoligy is hard to follow. I was just asking your opinion. I read earlier today that one guy was using 10,000 wt oil (that seems like it would have been easier to put syrup in there) and another guy was using 30 wt. I would just appreicate any help that you could pass along.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
I would just appreicate any help that you could pass along.
we have passed along really all the help we can without actually coming to your crawl spot and tuning your rig for you.

read those threads, search for others. there is no "one good way" to setup your suspension, if there was- I am sure we would have told you before now.

not trying to flame here, just please stop asking the same question over and over.

my setup:
maxx shocks
full droop.
losi 100wt oil.
no springs.
custom built 2.2 tuber.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #9

I appologize, and I thank you for your help.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I appologize, and I thank you for your help.
no apologies needed. welcome to the hobby.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I'm trying to get a hustler so I've had some time to research the whole droop "fad" I don't have it yet, but 3/4 of the fun is trying the different options out. For example, one guy runs 10wt. because he wants super quick reaction, one guy runs 300wt. because he wants slow and stable. Some guys have no springs and love it, some find the back walks while climbing out without them and run anything from hardware springs, make their own springs or swear by some off-the-wall idea. From there, some guys are running droop front, sprung rear or reverse, droop rear, sprung front. Other options include varying the number of holes in the shock piston, filling some holes in, you name it.

That same thing has to be true in Nitro right? There can't be "THE ONE" set up and all others just keep doing the same thing. The same holds true in crawlers, as well as any other competitive event. Buy one, try one, build one, you'll find you might even be changing your set-up every week until you find YOUR set-up. Now imagine trying to tell everyone else that your set-up is the only correct one and no one should even try to think up some new ideas. Sounds crazy doesn't it?

Tom