Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SuperSlick Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #21
RCC Addict

mine came right out, but i took the servo out first.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #22

my gear box wouldnt come out untill i removed the steering box

i went and got a XRM today and put the tires on my super slick mt im also gonna put the XRM rims on but they have to be cut in half first
Novak76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:41 PM   #23

alright sounds like i have to take the steering servo out first then...thanks guys!

Zack
wanabgts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #24

alright i think i am going to try to do some mini-t or rc18t oil shock on these beast with like the softest rate springs they make. Doesn't seem like there would be too much modification.......and lower ball joints on my shocks seem to be the only thing restricting art. except for the servo arm........

what do u guys think?

zack
Old 04-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Default slick

Well Ive Been Trying to post some Pics for a Couple Days ,F%*@#* Comp wont let me open my Paint program so I can Resize the Pics and post them.Any other way to Resize?? I love These Little Crawlers ,It Wortks Awesome with the Wally Crawler Tires,The Jeep Body is a little Top heavy .I need to Find a Plastic One.
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I went out and bought one today. They only had one on the shelf at Toysrus, my lucky day!

LIke others said, the thing is worthless with the center diff as it is. Soon as it loads up, it slips and you can't get very far.

So first thing I did was lock the diff. That means taking the whole thing apart. I loaded up the center diff with a little super glue to lock it. The applicator I had would not let me get it in there very good, so I also used hot glue just to make sure. Then shaved off any excess hot glue with a razor blade, and put it all back together. But in the process of putting it back together, I screwed up the steering, and now it only turns one way. I either put the arm back on wrong, or there is a little spring on the servo that I was not able to reconnect. Oh well, I'll tear back into it later.

It's pretty fun, but top heavy. I'm going to have to figure out how to lower it and gain some more articulation.

Here is a quick 2.7mb video I made today. Nothing exciting, but gives you an idea of the capabilities of the truck. Should be interesting to compare it to after I do some modifications.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=55010

First pic shows all the parts dissasembled, second pic shows the center diff that is to be locked. You can see the spring mechanism and the holes in the diff where you want to pour glue down into.
Attached Images

AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #27
RCC Addict

i had the same problem with my steering, but i messed with it for a while and got it to work right again. you have to line the return sping up perfet then take the steering ajuster off and then put the little pin inbetween the two sides of the spring.then test it before you putit back to gether.

i took the shocks off if it to lower it aand put some stiff little rubberbands on the rear only. then bent the end on the steering rod to lower the front. the front still sits alittle higher than the rear though.

to lower th cog a little more it took the wing and the bumper off the body.

to get more tracton i put the inside tire beed out of thechannel like on a larger scale tire. then shaved every other small tread off and cut sipes into the sidewall with a dremel.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #28

alright guys i have an awsome mod for u, today i went to the HS just browsing u know. And i came across some AOSHIMA 1/24 scale truck tires for a model truck. They are EXACT replicas of the Super Swamper TSL's. with nice crome wheels. So here is what i did, to widen the truck to help offset the high cog i centered and glued the new chrome wheels on the outside of the factory red (or sometimes gray) hubs. this will transfer power to ground better than those notches do on the other wheels. Then i put the tsl's on, noting the direction of course and ca glues them. They make the truck look seriously bad. I have no test yet but they are very soft rubber (glue is still drying). My plans later on are to stretch it to accept 1/24 scale model bodies.

If someone will host pics i can get some up for u guys....

P.S. by moving the tires out farther u can flex alot more because stock the tires hit the shocks reducing flex. Overall good mod it cost me 9 bucks for the wheels and tires.

thanks for taking the time got a little lengthy,
Zack
Old 04-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Default slick

Get some Pics Up!! Thats What Im going to go with my next one Is use a 1/24th Jeep body,and some scale tires.Those Swampers sound Good.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #30
RCC Addict

you can send me the pics 4runneradam@gmail.com I'll post them

or just use www.imageshack.us
Old 04-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #31

Alright guys i have the test results.....it works sooooo much better. The extra leverage from the wider axle makes the truck flex much easier, and now the rear axle can extend all the way out because the tires don't hit the body. and on my glass table the tires were soft enough i could do a standing wheely. These and locking the center diff are the only mods i have done and the truck will climb most of the "scale" obstacles i throw at it.

zack

i will try to get pics up today, thanks AdamF i will be sending them to u sometime today.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Here's the pics
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Default slick

I need a set of thoe Tires.Can Ya hook me Up??
Old 04-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Default slick

I got the Pic Resized Heres one .These trucks are a lot of Fun.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:39 PM   #35
RCC Addict

what are you useing for drive shafts?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Awsome!

Is that stretched? I have a little 4Runner body I want to use but I need to stretch the wheelbase to make it fit. Howd you do it?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #37

i want one very bad they rock im stoping by toys r us on the way back to my moms house
do they run off aa or what
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Default slick

Yes Its Stretched about a inch or so.I Made the shaft extentions outta Aluminum Tube and just CA Glued it .works Perfect.Heres some more pics.I'll take some others tommorrow .I Just moved the shocks so it sits lower and the CG is awesome.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #39
R.I.P. Chip

Damn you guys make me spend so much money! Now I gotta go to toys r us!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Default slick

I want to But a Couple more and build one with full size electronics and a 1/24th Body.4Ws would be easy with A costum chassis and Better electronics.