Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: !what to buy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #1

Default !what to buy!

Ive been investigating and found that the wheelie king is a decent truck. ive also been looking at the bruiser but to get the whole thing i would need about a 1G and i only have like a 300$ budget what base truck would be a good begginner truck that i would be able to make a bad *** crawler out of that i could like for a while.....

Thanks
daelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

With only $300, the Wheely King is looking like your only option to start with. There are some cheap mods that you can do to make it more capable, but to be a true performer you'll need a new chassis, motor and maybe even more.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

ax-10 is a good kit. just build it and add electronics
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammok5 View Post
ax-10 is a good kit. just build it and add electronics
But that would easily put him over his $300 budget.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #5

yeah i only have about $300 so i think ill go with the wheelie king do 55t motor do the controll arms,lock the diffs,lipo,some rock claws and im cool with the guy at the hobbyshop so ill be like $290 into my budget. later if idont like the preformance ill get a beckworks tuber chasis. thanks for the help guys...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you dont already have the lipos then you might look into some elite 3600Mah. That is some money you could save and put into the WK. Remember that your battery is only as good as your charger.
Tuffone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
But that would easily put him over his $300 budget.
not so easily.

kit 230.
moped esc 30
tq3 35
motor 15
servo 20
battery 25

so that is about 350. get a couple of second hand items and it could be done a little cheaper. plus he would be starting on a much better platform for upgrades.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
not so easily.

kit 230.
moped esc 30
tq3 35
motor 15
servo 20
battery 25

so that is about 350. get a couple of second hand items and it could be done a little cheaper. plus he would be starting on a much better platform for upgrades.
Ditto...on this. Save your money for a couple more weeks. The Ax-10 is a much better platform to start with.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Heck, he could go with a TQ2 for around $10, there's $15 off already! Plus, I think run2jeepn still has the 995s on sale for $15, there's another $5.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffone View Post
If you dont already have the lipos then you might look into some elite 3600Mah. That is some money you could save and put into the WK. Remember that your battery is only as good as your charger.
Dude have you seen the price of lipos? If he is going to run a 55t motor he at most he needs a 2000mah 20c pack even that will give him about 30min of runtime. The Elites are $34.00 plus shipping for a 6 cell I just picked up 2 brand new 2200mah AirThunder lipos for $65.00 shipped from AirThunders Ebay store. They are 25c constant 50c burst and can be safely drawn down to 2 volts per cell so if he already has a lipo charger there is no benefit to nimh unless you just want more weight.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressivellc View Post
Dude have you seen the price of lipos? If he is going to run a 55t motor he at most he needs a 2000mah 20c pack even that will give him about 30min of runtime. The Elites are $34.00 plus shipping for a 6 cell I just picked up 2 brand new 2200mah AirThunder lipos for $65.00 shipped from AirThunders Ebay store. They are 25c constant 50c burst and can be safely drawn down to 2 volts per cell so if he already has a lipo charger there is no benefit to nimh unless you just want more weight.
yeah i think i would go with lipos becouse of weight,runtime and compactness.
wheather to wait a couple weeks to get the scorpion is a good idea but i kinda want something that i can improve and customize,beieng that the scorpion is almost perfect. but ill consider that guys.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
Debunking old stereotypes

Just remember the stock chassis, and electronics on the WK are junk for crawling.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelv View Post
yeah i think i would go with lipos becouse of weight,runtime and compactness.
wheather to wait a couple weeks to get the scorpion is a good idea but i kinda want something that i can improve and customize,beieng that the scorpion is almost perfect. but ill consider that guys.

I wouldnt say the AX-10 is perfect it still has its performance flaws It is definatly better than the Wheelie King out of the box but there is still much room for improvement.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressivellc View Post
I wouldnt say the AX-10 is perfect it still has its performance flaws It is definatly better than the Wheelie King out of the box but there is still much room for improvement.
yeah i know what you mean i will deffinately consider the ax-10 its pretty close to my budget. thing is i dont want to get into the sport,spent $500,get bored and leave it but from what i heard rc crawling is the $#it.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #15

all this info is making it hard for me to decide what to buy....wk or the AX-10...... the diff. in price isnt a big issue.
I'm kinda wondering witch one i will have more fun with. I would def. do the crawler mods to the wk if i got it. (can you still jump the wk and rip it arround once its been modded?) will i regret not buying the scorpion in the first place? im thinking i will do more slow speed wheelin/crawlin.

damn this is a tough choice!!!
Fully Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you want to crawl, get the ax10. If you want to bash, get a wheelie king.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelv View Post
yeah i know what you mean i will deffinately consider the ax-10 its pretty close to my budget. thing is i dont want to get into the sport,spent $500,get bored and leave it but from what i heard rc crawling is the $#it.
Can't say that you'd get bored all that quick. Once you start, you always find someway to get the truck to handle better, or more upgrades. Always tweeking something. As stated earlier, if you want to bash and crawl get the WK. If all you want is crawling get the AX
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Baked View Post
all this info is making it hard for me to decide what to buy....wk or the AX-10...... the diff. in price isnt a big issue.
I'm kinda wondering witch one i will have more fun with. I would def. do the crawler mods to the wk if i got it. (can you still jump the wk and rip it arround once its been modded?) will i regret not buying the scorpion in the first place? im thinking i will do more slow speed wheelin/crawlin.

damn this is a tough choice!!!
yeah thats the problem with me i know someday i will wana bash, so i can take it back to stock and bash around but with the ax10 its pretty much limmited as a crawler.

♠tough choice♠tough choice♠
Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Once you lock the difs on the WK, it's not going to bash without replacing them. I bought a WK and I wished I had waited a couple of months for the AX10 to crawl

Only thing really to do is buy the AX to crawl then when you feel like bashing, get another cheap RTR truck.
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstealer View Post
Once you lock the difs on the WK, it's not going to bash without replacing them. I bought a WK and I wished I had waited a couple of months for the AX10 to crawl

Only thing really to do is buy the AX to crawl then when you feel like bashing, get another cheap RTR truck.
unless i lock them with silly putty or hot glue or something i heard that works qwite well as long as you replace it every once in a while.