Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Stick Chassis Vs 4 Link

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Stick Chassis Vs 4 Link

I've been looking and can't find a detailed comparsion, hope I didn't miss something. But I'm just curious what advantages a 4 link chassis might have compared to a stick style chassis. Seems to me that the stick style has a lot of advantages, like ground clearance and simplicity, but I just like the way a 4 link looks and functions. Any thoughts?
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I HAVE BOTH AND THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENCES. I REALLY DO LIKE THE STICK FOR THE SIMPLICITY. THE STICK SUPPRISES ME ALL THE TIME. I CAN CLIMB SO MUCH MORE JUST BECAUSE OF THE CLEARANCE. THE 4 LINK SYSTEM IN SOME WAYS IS MORE PREDICTABLE. IT IS ALSO VERY EASY TO LIMIT THE TRAVEL. AS THE STICK BREAKS IN, YOU FIND IT SO MUCH DIFFERENT TO CONTROL. I EVEN REPLACED A STICK CAUSE IT GOT TOO FLEXY.

I GUESS IT'S AN OPINION THING. I LIKE BOTH. IF IT WAS A COMP RIG...I LIKE THE STICK. IF YOU WANT MORE REALISTIC AND SOMETHING YOU CAN CHANGE UP...4 LINK IS FUN. I GUESS I JUST GOT TIRED OF DEALING WITH SHOCKS, SPRINGS, AND BROKEN LINK ENDS. I HAVE HAD NO BREAKAGE SINCE I WENT STICK...EXCEPT FOR A FEW BODIES & MOUNTS.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks Danally, I figured that the clearance with the stick would be a pretty big advantage. I ordered a lot of parts to start a clod based crawler, I'm just undecided on the chassis. I actually started building my own chassis out of Delrin, but now I'm considering making my own stick?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
I HAVE BOTH AND THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENCES. I REALLY DO LIKE THE STICK FOR THE SIMPLICITY. THE STICK SUPPRISES ME ALL THE TIME. I CAN CLIMB SO MUCH MORE JUST BECAUSE OF THE CLEARANCE. THE 4 LINK SYSTEM IN SOME WAYS IS MORE PREDICTABLE. IT IS ALSO VERY EASY TO LIMIT THE TRAVEL. AS THE STICK BREAKS IN, YOU FIND IT SO MUCH DIFFERENT TO CONTROL. I EVEN REPLACED A STICK CAUSE IT GOT TOO FLEXY.

You made some good points.......but YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL AT US. We're all right here.

I prefer a 4 link set up.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Keep it real

Quote:

I GUESS IT'S AN OPINION THING. I LIKE BOTH. IF IT WAS A COMP RIG...I LIKE THE STICK. IF YOU WANT MORE REALISTIC AND SOMETHING YOU CAN CHANGE UP...4 LINK IS FUN. I GUESS I JUST GOT TIRED OF DEALING WITH SHOCKS, SPRINGS, AND BROKEN LINK ENDS. I HAVE HAD NO BREAKAGE SINCE I WENT STICK...EXCEPT FOR A FEW BODIES & MOUNTS.
Are you talking about a "stick" or a torsion chassis, 2 very different chassis's. The torsion is a piece of channel that doesn't use any links or shocks, while the "stick" is round tube that uses 2 links and a shock at each end. A torsion chassis isn't a "stick" chassis.;)
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sorry about the caps...I didn't look up until too much was typed.

I have a tortion by the way. I made my own rod type and added a tube frame to it. it looked cool when done but it weighed too much. That is why I went back to the simple tortion. Like I said before...I like it a lot.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
I made my own rod type and added a tube frame to it. it looked cool when done but it weighed too much. That is why I went back to the simple tortion.
Building a tuber and/or setting up a link type suspention is definity an art form and does take a good deal of testing and work to dial them in.

Personally,I like the mechanics of it and building them. It's a challenge and I enjoy that.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a Clod and I originaly had it as a 4 link. Now it is a torsion chassic. C channel from hardware store. The ground clearance is much better and the CG is much lower. IMO the torsion chassic is the only way to go with a Clod.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have a 4 link almost complete now, scratch built chassis, approx 18 inch wheelbase. Think I will experiment with it for awhile and then try a torsion or stick style chassis next.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I think for a clod based crawler the stick isn't the only way to go, although the ground clearance may be a advantage along with simplicity, it may not be enough to overcome a well setup 4 link. For realism as others have said i would opt 4 link. If ground clearance is what your after then obviously the stick or any homebuilt torsion is a better choice. This is just my .02
Dirty Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I've got both set-ups, and enjoy them equally. Each one drives totally different than the other. But it all depends on what terrain I am at that determines which truck I will use. To be honest I have more fun building, and then figuring out how to make them better.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

personally, I like the functionality of the 4 link type setup better. My rig may not be a "scale" rig, but it does use all teh same basic parts as a 1:1 does (links, shocks, etc...) and I like that.

like raptorman said, it's more of an art form and I get my jollys from the challenge of engineering a good setup.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I ordered the NN chassis from TCS yesterday, so 4 link it is. I enjoy building RC vehicles a lot, possibly just as much as driving them, so I know what you mean jagg, therefore rc crawling seems to be a great fit for me, wish it wouldn't have taken me so long to discover it! As far as being an art form, I like that idea too jbrandt and raptorman, think i'm already addicted....
Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I've seen plenty of Clod-based torsion chassis, where can I find some pics of different TLT-axled torsion rigs?
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingApart View Post
I've seen plenty of Clod-based torsion chassis, where can I find some pics of different TLT-axled torsion rigs?
That would be a great idea. I'd like to see some of them too.
deadcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingApart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcell View Post
That would be a great idea. I'd like to see some of them too.
If thats what floats yer boat,search for BMVII or pimp slap. Those are 2 torsion chassis's that were set up for TLT rigs. There's also a few home brew custom deals floating around as well