Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: AX10 Torque Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question AX10 Torque Issue

Hey, newb here, just wondering I have an Axial AX10 and it torques like crazy to the left side, drivers side, and I was wondering what you guys are doing to reduce or eliminate that. Is that something you can totally get rid of in any crawler? Whats out there or what are guys doing to cure this?
Thanks,

FNG, CA
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Things to eliminate this:

-stiffer spring or adding spacers to rear drivers side shock
-higher mounting point of upper links on rear axle (using a 4-link adapter plate)
-better link geometry
-keep weight majority unsprung (batt on front axle)
-weight in tires

I'm sure theres more but thats a few I have done to improve
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLINGAROUND View Post
Is that something you can totally get rid of in any crawler?
Clod Axles

with the four link adapter, you can really mess with the link geometry more, like puting the drivers side rear link higher on the axle.

Are you running the shock bump stop on the outside? When you move it to the inside of the shock, lowering the truck, this greatly reduces the torque twist.

I am sure someone will pipe in here about the tranny switch mod, just leave the tranny stock, reversing it does nothing except expose your gear train to the rocks.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Would making the front axle turn CW and the rear turn CCW help any? Besides the obvious answer yes at the tranny but wouldnt the overall effect be better or not worth the hassel? Ive been racking my brain with tis one...as is, the AX10 has a predictable lean to one side, left side under load, but if the torque is countered like I said above then wouldnt it be less in general if not almost eliminated entirely??
Has anyone tried this??
CRAWLINGAROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #5

I chased this problem for a while and finally more or less eliminated it by using thicker oil (90 weight) and stacking spacers on the driver side rear corner (like has been mentioned).
Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLINGAROUND View Post
Would making the front axle turn CW and the rear turn CCW help any? Besides the obvious answer yes at the tranny but wouldnt the overall effect be better or not worth the hassel? Ive been racking my brain with tis one...as is, the AX10 has a predictable lean to one side, left side under load, but if the torque is countered like I said above then wouldnt it be less in general if not almost eliminated entirely??
Has anyone tried this??
Umm, you can only get that to happen in reverse. Try what has been mentioned, use some thicker oil and either a stiffer spring or spring spacer to add preload to the driver side rear. Moving your top links up higher and making them longer, so they go all the way back to the rear of the servo plate will help also.

Pictures of your rig up close in the rear would help us to help you, also.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ditto to what STEWCO said. For an example, i'm running 1.75 lb springs on three corners and a 2.5 lb spring on the left rear (drivers side) plus 20 wt oil in frnt and r rear, 40 wt in left rear + one extra pre-load spacer on that same side. That should eliminate most of your tourque streer, play with it to your liking....
cato is offline   Reply With Quote