Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Top Mount LCA's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Top Mount LCA's

You guys ever try to mount your LCA's on the top of the axles on your rigs axles instead of the back or bottom?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

By LCA, do you mean lower control arm? The only way it would work is if you mounted the uppers even higher. If you have the lowers and the uppers on the same plane, the axle wrap will be uncontrollable. I think on the back side of the axle is just fine. No need to move the mounts any higher, really.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

Doesn't really give you good effect as far a handling. Bent links are your best bet.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

If you want to take a 1:1 stance on the subject, you want your lowers mount point at the axle to be below the axle centerline. Can be as little as 1/2", but as long as it's below the centerline, it should be fine.

Reason for this is, like already said, to control axle wrap and the forces associated with it. The mounts on 1:1's that have their lowers mounted above the centerline tend to see alot more stress and are more easliy sheared or bent...and it puts alot more stress on the bushing/joint itself.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Axle wrap is the reason I was asking, I'm trying it on my WK and did get a little with E-Savage driveshafts as well as a loss of uptravel (flex wasn't hurt though) The uppers mount to the stock mount and the pivot ball has more give than I would like (being replaced with the Integy ones) and I can't bend the Lowers since I'm using Lundsford Ti pushrods instead of homemades or Traxxas pushrods. I've got the rod ends from the Savage so I may have to cut an extra set down if i put the LCA's behind the tube. Just have to wait for the Tamiya suspension stays to get off back order before I do that so a little testing will have to be done as is............................
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote