Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Is the Traxxas VXL 3S and CC 4600 compatable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default Is the Traxxas VXL 3S and CC 4600 compatable

I've got a friend who has a VXL Rustler and he wants more speed. Actually he wants to keep up with his dad's Thunder Tiger ST-1 nitro truck.

I think he either needs to go to an 8 cell NimH pack (46.9 mph) or a CC 4600 with his 6 cell pack (46.2 mph).

I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the VKL 3S will work with the Castle 4600 motor before he spends any money.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Trying to run a CC 4600 on 6cell NiMh geared for 46mph is going to cause a ton of heat problems and probably shutdown the ESC or fry the motor in very short order. That motor is really on good for up to about 35mph on 6cell NiMh or 2S Lipo without having heat issues in a vehicle like that.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

Stick with the velinion. It's faster and stays cooler. I'm going to switch out my MM 5700 systems for vxl systems because they can handle being geared way high (ending up faster) and still run cool. The MM systems have to be geared super low and still over heat in less than a half of a pack.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo View Post
Trying to run a CC 4600 on 6cell NiMh geared for 46mph is going to cause a ton of heat problems and probably shutdown the ESC or fry the motor in very short order. That motor is really on good for up to about 35mph on 6cell NiMh or 2S Lipo without having heat issues in a vehicle like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Stick with the velinion. It's faster and stays cooler. I'm going to switch out my MM 5700 systems for vxl systems because they can handle being geared way high (ending up faster) and still run cool. The MM systems have to be geared super low and still over heat in less than a half of a pack.
46 mph is with the stock Rustler gearing, for both the options I listed.
How can the 3500KV VXL motor be faster than the CC4600? Because you have to gear down?
I've read numerous times that a 4600 on 6 cells is super reliable and doesn't overheat in the Slash.....Is the Rusty that different? :? I know the Rusty is geared at 25/83 where the Slash is 18/86, but the Rusty weighs 1.69kg where the Slash weighs 2.16 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Same here, running a Sidwider/4600 on stock gearing on Track Power 5350 2S lipos and Poly Quest 6000 2S lipos w/o worry or heat issues.

It is a bit cooler here, only in the high 80's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Damn old guys with there "setups" from the 70's. I'll bet you have both underwear and Super Roosters older them most of the RCC members.

I ran mine all week in the peak of our heat wave with no problems at all, two of the days were 107* and one was 108*.

My energizer bunny setup:
Stock gearing (w/ smaller pinion)
Mamba Max ESC
Mamba 4600 motor
Elite 4800 2s lipo's

I don't need insane speeds to try and compensate for the lack of driving skills you guys exhibit.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
How can the 3500KV VXL motor be faster than the CC4600? Because you have to gear down?
I've read numerous times that a 4600 on 6 cells is super reliable and doesn't overheat in the Slash.....Is the Rusty that different? :? I know the Rusty is geared at 25/83 where the Slash is 18/86, but the Rusty weighs 1.69kg where the Slash weighs 2.16 kg.
The 3500kv vxl system is outta control. It's faster than the 4600, the 5700, and possibly the 6900.

I don't know why or how, but I have seen them run.

I will be getting my hands on one once I get caught up on some things.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
The 3500kv vxl system is outta control. It's faster than the 4600, the 5700, and possibly the 6900.

Ok then, two people have said the VXL is faster than the 4600. I was just looking for a reason, but even though it can't be explained I trust you and Rich's input. I've never seen one run personally.

So it sounds like the best option would be to go with 8 cell NimH packs to get more speed.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

on 8 cells its prety fast the only problem I have running on 8 cell NimH packs is I've burnt up 2 packs the draw from the system is allot and heats the packs up quick. a top dollar quality pack may help this mine were bought off ebay....time to go lipo, I've put my 11.1v lipo (from heli) in the VXL and well lets just say you can't keep the tires on the ground its STUPID fast...
dhoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The VXL motor, IIRC, has a longer rotor, and therefore provides more torque than the Castle motors and can be geared more aggressively.

Yes, the 4600 is reliable in the Slash...if you gear it for a reasonable top speed. I run the stock 18:86 gearing on mine and it's around 33mph on 2S Lipo.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post
on 8 cells its prety fast the only problem I have running on 8 cell NimH packs is I've burnt up 2 packs the draw from the system is allot and heats the packs up quick. a top dollar quality pack may help this mine were bought off ebay....time to go lipo, I've put my 11.1v lipo (from heli) in the VXL and well lets just say you can't keep the tires on the ground its STUPID fast...
He looked into Lipo, but it's $200 for a good battery at the LHS he said and he would need a new charger.
I've had good luck so far with my Elite 4000 SC's so that's what I am going to recommend to him. I had the 8 cell packs made at cheapbatterypacks.com and with the upgrades they were only $53 each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo View Post
The VXL motor, IIRC, has a longer rotor, and therefore provides more torque than the Castle motors and can be geared more aggressively.

Yes, the 4600 is reliable in the Slash...if you gear it for a reasonable top speed. I run the stock 18:86 gearing on mine and it's around 33mph on 2S Lipo.
I've got the speeds all worked out on my calculator.

I think I'll put my battery packs in it this weekend and see what that gets us.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

my buddy has the cc mm 5700 with a smc 2 cell 22 c 5000 mah lipo and i have a vxl with a 7 cell pack and his is faster then mine.he doesnt over heat either nor do i.

i tried one of the elite 4800 2 cell lipo 25c and my truck was slower. i was unsure of what the "C" rating meant but have now learned it is a discharge rate and my 7 cell is still more volts. so i went back to the nimh.

both of the slash's are geared stock.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

ur on drugs......not i a million years, castle is way faster.
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The VXl with the same battery and same gearing is very comparable to the CC 4600 but slower than the CC 5700. These were all run on a 3s lipo in a Stampede and a Rustler.

Now when you gear them to their maximum speed without overheating the vxl is faster. A lower kv motor can be geared higher without overheating. For the ultimate combo get the Mamba controller with the vxl motor, you get all the adjustability that the mamba offers with the lower kv motor which will run cooler and deliver killer speed.
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy View Post
The VXl with the same battery and same gearing is very comparable to the CC 4600 but slower than the CC 5700. These were all run on a 3s lipo in a Stampede and a Rustler.

Now when you gear them to their maximum speed without overheating the vxl is faster. A lower kv motor can be geared higher without overheating. For the ultimate combo get the Mamba controller with the vxl motor, you get all the adjustability that the mamba offers with the lower kv motor which will run cooler and deliver killer speed.
Thank you BigBoy.

Thanks for the input guys. We're gonna try the 8 cells with his VXL system tomorrow night and see how it runs.