Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: has anyone locked the diff in their slash?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default has anyone locked the diff in their slash?

just wondering if anyone has tried it and if its worth doing... i dont know anything about fast offroad RCs. never raced buggies or truggies or anything. would it actually help its handling at all? because it seems like through turns it unloads a lot and spins the inside tire.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I haven't messed with mine. I just dropped a CC Sidewinder/5700Kv combo into mine and haven't had a chance to run it off road yet. It hauls a$$ on the street, though. I also dropped a Rogue Element Components "SCAB" in, too.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Ever since I upgraded to brushless, I've been pondering putting a dab or two of diff lock grease in there just to slow the diff action down. It has a tendency to "diff out" in the corners.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Ever since I upgraded to brushless, I've been pondering putting a dab or two of diff lock grease in there just to slow the diff action down. It has a tendency to "diff out" in the corners.
I have put the diff lock grease in and it helped a lot with the stock motor but when I upgraded to brushless it doesn't seem to help much.
mutiny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

diesel have you tryed stiffening the suspension or whiping up some sway bars to help the unloading.
i run on mega loose terrain and dont have that problem. but could see how it would be frustrating. racers never lock the diffs.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I locked mine with this stuff:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=OFNC1230&P=K

It seems to work well. It is a PITA to install because it is so damn sticky.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

I took a JB welded diff out of a Pede tranny and put it in my Slash.
In the sand it was great.
On a hard pack dry track i took some getting used to, it was very easy to give it too much throttle and spin out but still seemed to work good overall.
Once we watered down the track and got some traction, the locked diff was really nice and could be used to throw the rear end around in the corners in a controllable manner.

In all cases I like that it allows me to save the truck from rollover during a bicycle and in the whoops I felt like I could drive harder through them. That may be just in my head, but I don't think I'll go back to an open diff. I have considered going to some 40,000 wt grease and trying that too.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 10-14-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I've got AE 300K weight diff lube/oil in my Slash. With a Velenion 3300KV brushless, 2S lipo, it really helped the truck out in the cornering and overal handling department.

Truck will launch in a straight line, and when the track is wet I can get into the throttle a lot sooner. Also, it seems to make the rear end more predictable as the track drys out and power slides become a requirement to stay fast.

You will see a huge improvement in cornering, the truck tracks better as you aren't unloading to only 1 tire. Plus with this stuff still being a "fluid" you don't have the problems of a true locked diff.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
I've got AE 300K weight diff lube/oil in my Slash. With a Velenion 3300KV brushless, 2S lipo, it really helped the truck out in the cornering and overal handling department.

Truck will launch in a straight line, and when the track is wet I can get into the throttle a lot sooner. Also, it seems to make the rear end more predictable as the track drys out and power slides become a requirement to stay fast.

You will see a huge improvement in cornering, the truck tracks better as you aren't unloading to only 1 tire. Plus with this stuff still being a "fluid" you don't have the problems of a true locked diff.
How does this work? How do I put it in the diff?

THanks
dima
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have some 50K diff fluid I was going to try.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Just take the diff apart and fill it up with diff fluid. I would think you'd have to refill it regularly since it's not a sealed diff. Is that true? That's why I was thinking of using the Ofna diff lock stuff.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #12

I've got bad horsie diff locking grease in mine. The best stuff imo if you are running on the street and offroad. It still lets the diff work but still makes it alot more controllable offroad.
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
That's why I was thinking of using the Ofna diff lock stuff.
Mine has no leaks using the Ofna Diff Lock...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatty View Post
How does this work? How do I put it in the diff?

THanks
dima

Just like if you were to lock a pede diff with JB Weld

Open up the trans, pull out the diff, then CLEAN and I mean CLEAN everything very well. I took nitro motor cleaner to all of the parts and got all of the grease off of them. Then reassemble the cross pins and spider gears, at this point fill with the diff fluid. Reattach the cover, and reinstall into the trans.

I haven't noticed any leaking, but then again with 300K weight fluid it would be hard pressed to come out. 300K diff fluid isn't poured into the diff, it is scooped out. I am sure molasses in January flows better than that stuff does . Now, I also sealed the trans with black RTV silicone...but I got a lil something extra going on that really frees up the trans and lets me put the power down that I need a sealed trans for
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I like the idea of the Ofna Diff Lock!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I have 10k in mine, I usually run on either very high traction or very loose dirt. With this weight of diff fluid, the diff will unload in a sharp corner allowing me to not flip over. On the loose stuff, its a rare day when I get all squirrley.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote