Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Sedan wheels on a buggy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default Sedan wheels on a buggy?

I'll keep this short and to the point:

I want to be able to install sedan wheels with a 12mm hex onto the front of a Losi XXX-T. I've looked and can't find any conversion kits. Surely someone out there knows how to do this. I doubt I'm the first to want to try. I've got an idea in my head, but seeing as how my nearest LHS is over an hour away, going back and forth for parts is not really practical.

Post up if you know something!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Maybe use stampede front hub carrier parts to convert it? Anything you do will have to be custom. I'm running XXX-nt C hubs with the rear hubs as the spindles, with traxxas stub shafts. It's pretty modded but works.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

its pretty simple really if you have the tools. what you need is some 12mm wheel extensions (the old style that are just 12mm hex stock), and your wheels. drill out the wideners to the shaft diameter, and then slide them and your wheel onto the shafts. now determine how much you will need to shorten the wideners and cut. with everything installed there should be about 1mm between the edge of your wheel and the nut. if you cut to much off you can always shim with washers. i did it once, but found that the truck didnt turn for sh!t. but for a drag truck or something it would be great. hope this helps.
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Maybe use stampede front hub carrier parts to convert it? Anything you do will have to be custom. I'm running XXX-nt C hubs with the rear hubs as the spindles, with traxxas stub shafts. It's pretty modded but works.
Got pics? I kind of came to the same conclusion. I've almost got a solution, but its kind of cobbled together. I'd rather use some off the shelf parts if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmaxx View Post
its pretty simple really if you have the tools. what you need is some 12mm wheel extensions (the old style that are just 12mm hex stock), and your wheels. drill out the wideners to the shaft diameter, and then slide them and your wheel onto the shafts. now determine how much you will need to shorten the wideners and cut. with everything installed there should be about 1mm between the edge of your wheel and the nut. if you cut to much off you can always shim with washers. i did it once, but found that the truck didnt turn for sh!t. but for a drag truck or something it would be great. hope this helps.
Not as simple as you think. The bearings are in the wheels instead of the carrier. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
I'm running XXX-nt C hubs with the rear hubs as the spindles, with traxxas stub shafts. It's pretty modded but works.
Was browsing eBay and had to come back here for reference to what you said...

you're saying you used the rear hubs in the front and added Traxxas axle shafts?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

if you're not into modding, you might get away with using xx-4 and xxx-4 wheels from the 4x4 off road car losi makes
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Suck it up!

I'm all about modding... I was just asking questions to avoid making things overly complicated and also making any un-needed purchases. I'm on a fairly tight budget. That, and I've got my heart set on using beadlocks.

I ended up using the rear carriers and axles. Had to do a little trimming and grinding, but they work great. The steering is a little weird because the axle is behind the kingpin, and I have some bump-steer to try to dial out, but it should be fine.

If some of you haven't figured it out by now (though I know some have ) I'm building a Trophy Truck. The one that Muddytrux posted up here a few weeks ago looked like too much fun and I had to join in! Hopefully I'll have a build thread started sometime next week.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-19-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Here's a teaser pic...