Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Rustler VS. E-firestorm ...what to pick?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rustler VS. E-firestorm ...what to pick?

Hey wats up guys. ive been thinking and i think i need a stadium truck for those need for speed times.

Ive been debating between the Rustler or E-firestorm

Now i have no experiance with Lipo so i dont know if i should got with the brushless versions.. i think it would be a better "deal" to go with brushless now rather than down the road.

So which would be better the Rustler VXL? or the E-firestorm 10T Flux?

Even non-brushless version opinions would be helpful

Thanks Guys and are lipos really that hard to use? Sorry for the newb questions.
GUERO4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERO4X4 View Post
Hey wats up guys. ive been thinking and i think i need a stadium truck for those need for speed times.

Ive been debating between the Rustler or E-firestorm

Now i have no experiance with Lipo so i dont know if i should got with the brushless versions.. i think it would be a better "deal" to go with brushless now rather than down the road.

So which would be better the Rustler VXL? or the E-firestorm 10T Flux?

Even non-brushless version opinions would be helpful

Thanks Guys and are lipos really that hard to use? Sorry for the newb questions.
Ive had both. The Rustler is a well proven design that is great for bashing and is really fast if you get the brushless one. I just got the firestorm and it too is really fast brushless and is also very durable. If your ever plan to do any track time or racing at any level id go with the firestorm. It has a current suspension design and handles very well. I love lipo batteries. I started using them in my crawlers and have since switched to them exclusively. invest in a good Lipo charger and a balancer, you will be happy
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #3

I just got a couple Lipo's off ebay shipped from Tokyo and an e-sky ballancer. I too am a newb with lipo/brushless setups but have learned enuf to give it a go. the small ballancer took somewhere along the lines of 30 to 40 mins to charge my 2400mah lipo and I havent run it all the way down yet but man the 3s 11.1v lipo really makes a diff in my car. like scarry fast - make sure you have a big area to play fast...
z50_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Which one is better for Sand running with paddles, and making speed passes on the pavement. Sooner or later im gonna get the urge to jump it LOL..So which one would match that criteria the best? Oh and most likely i will be running 6 cell Nimh packs. Which would be the best on good quality 6 packs?Till i get Lipos and a charger in the future.Thanks guys for the help
Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'd go with the Flux. I have a nitro Firestorm, and so far I'm extremely happy with it.

The only reason I'd pick the Flux is because of the ESC/Motor it comes with. Rebadged Castle Creations Sidewinder and I've heard rumors the engine is by them as well. The Velinion is ok, but CC is superior IMO. If you're going with the Rustler, I'd get the normal one, not the brushless, and upgrade to CC in the future anyway.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

E-firestorm. I've had my share of traxxas and wouldn't recommend one. Same old crappy, pain in the neck to work on chassis, they STILL haven't fully updated the rustler after more than 12 years. The one good thing about the rustler is parts are easy to find, that's good because you'll be needing them. HPI basically made a basher friendly GT2/T4.
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel_rc View Post
E-firestorm. I've had my share of traxxas and wouldn't recommend one. Same old crappy, pain in the neck to work on chassis, they STILL haven't fully updated the rustler after more than 12 years. The one good thing about the rustler is parts are easy to find, that's good because you'll be needing them. HPI basically made a basher friendly GT2/T4.

Wow.. i never heard that before... in the two years that i had a stampede i never broke a part on it... maybe i didnt bash it hard enough...

Its true about the design.. traxxas focuses mainly more on nitro.. they never update the electrics.. And when they do they just put some new stuff on it but same design...

And firebat.. thanks for the opinion.. and i didnt know it was a rebadged sidewinder... even more the reason to get the firestorm...

what kind of runtime will i get on 3300 nimh packs? and later in the future i will get Lipo...

thanks guys
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I prefer the Traxxas Rustler simply because of bash-ability and parts support. However if your looking of going the brushless route I'd go with the Losi Speed-T, it only costs $329.99 and features the following:
  • Capable of speeds of 65+ mph!
  • Xcelorin Brushless Power System w/ 4800Kv motor
  • Fully programmable Xcelorin ESC with three selectable pre-programmed driver profiles including a Beginner, Sport and High-Performance modes
  • Quick Programming Card provides further adaptability to adjust throttle/reverse limits, braking and battery type for complete customization
  • Losi MTX Pro Radio System with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM® Technology
  • Losi EC3 low resistance power connectors
  • Digital steering servo for precise control
  • Lowered chassis and suspension design for high-speed handling
  • Precision turnbuckles featuring heavy duty captured rod ends
  • Blue anodized aluminum and nickel plated components for added strength and durability
  • Low-profile body for improved aerodynamics
  • Losi Road Weapon 3.2 Series low-profile tires on large chrome Losi SpokeZ wheels
  • Installed wheelie bar
  • Accepts NiMH and LiPo battery packs
goslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'd buy all the parts seperately, but in the end it'll be a rustler.
All RPM parts
Rest Traxxas
Motor and ESC CC MAmba max 6900 or 7700 if you only plan on using 6 cell stick packs

I like mine
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I'd buy all the parts seperately, but in the end it'll be a rustler.
All RPM parts
Rest Traxxas
Motor and ESC CC MAmba max 6900 or 7700 if you only plan on using 6 cell stick packs

I like mine

Wont that be even more expensive?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goslo View Post
I prefer the Traxxas Rustler simply because of bash-ability and parts support. However if your looking of going the brushless route I'd go with the Losi Speed-T, it only costs $329.99 and features the following:
  • Capable of speeds of 65+ mph!
  • Xcelorin Brushless Power System w/ 4800Kv motor
  • Fully programmable Xcelorin ESC with three selectable pre-programmed driver profiles including a Beginner, Sport and High-Performance modes
  • Quick Programming Card provides further adaptability to adjust throttle/reverse limits, braking and battery type for complete customization
  • Losi MTX Pro Radio System with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM® Technology
  • Losi EC3 low resistance power connectors
  • Digital steering servo for precise control
  • Lowered chassis and suspension design for high-speed handling
  • Precision turnbuckles featuring heavy duty captured rod ends
  • Blue anodized aluminum and nickel plated components for added strength and durability
  • Low-profile body for improved aerodynamics
  • Losi Road Weapon 3.2 Series low-profile tires on large chrome Losi SpokeZ wheels
  • Installed wheelie bar
  • Accepts NiMH and LiPo battery packs
Ive been reading up on it.. Looks like a possability to take the rustlers spot in this debate.. Problem is the closest hobby shop that has losi is like 30 mins away. and i dont want to switch hobby shops the one i go to currently has always been good to me.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ew, (s)Losi! Quite possibly most brittle plastic ever put on an RC.

And by the way, I beat the crap out of my bashers.

If you want durability, get an old RC10T2. Most unblowupable truck ever made. No upgrades necessary and brushless ready.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Well im pretty much set on the e-firestorm.. one more question? the stock one? or the brushless one? would it be better to buy it brushless ready? i want to reach speeds at atleast 30mph

Can i reach 30 mph on brushless with 6 cell 3000 packs? or maybe 6 cell 4200 packs..?

Dont really want to take the plunge into lipo until i save up some more money.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

30 is no problem, can be done with a cheap 14 turn, and a simple ESC. However, brushless has more run time and less moving parts.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #15

I think that it is very funny that after Traxxas comes out with the First brushless RTR designed/built by them, everyone else seems to be coming out with high speed, sensorless brushless trucks themselves. Anyway, I would definately go with the Rustler for a basher, it is as bulletproof as can get at 70 mph. I have a brushless Stampede and have no complaints what so ever, great truck and I just bought another around chirstmas time.
BLPede5800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel_rc View Post
Ew, (s)Losi! Quite possibly most brittle plastic ever put on an RC.
Ever drive a shumacher?
goslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If you get a brushless system you might as well get li-po's too. You would have to get better than stick packs to get the most out of your brushless. You can spend a lot of money on high amperage matched c's. Plus li-po's will outlast them in runtime and lifespan.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
Hell's Gnome

I got a Rustler, then ordered a 5700 & MM. In the time it took to ship the motor to me, the VXL was released. Oh well. That was my first brushless with Li-Po, to this day it still screams. Sand paddles, street tires doesn't matter, wheely bar for the back should be manditory. I don't know about the other one, but it doesn't sound like you can really go wrong, just have fun. Go Li-Po first, that alone perks up any electric motor.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I've had a couple rustlers. Even in brushed motor, it's possible to be pretty quick. I had a 11t in it and it screamed. They are nearly indestructable also. It was almost a ol' faithful for me. I would suggest the rustler but have no experiance with the firestorm.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i just got a VXL pede, with the intentions of turning it into a sand rail, and its STUPID fast on 7 cells. the ESC dosent like slow speeds, though.

I have no experience with the firestorm, but the VXL setup is fast!
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote