Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Driving a tank with a trigger style radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Default Driving a tank with a trigger style radio

Any ideas if this would be a possibility? Tank driving would normally be achieved with a 2 stick radio, left stick for left track etc etc....

I am currently building a rc unit with tank style steering, and only have trigger radio's.
If it is not possible with the cheap units I have, would it be an option with a programmable unit?
MicksAX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Take a look at the Kyosho Blizzard. I believe it has open diff(s) and uses a brake system to lock each track for steering.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #3

Wow, you've been reading my mind! I've been thinking about this exact same thing. I just received a used (very unused) elec Blizzard w/8.5 Novak brushless the other day. I've run it for a couple of minutes but I bought it with the intentions of making it awesome. Micks is right, it has an open diff and a brake on both axles. The steering servo basically applies brakes to the opposite wheel. The problem is the brakes really suck. They're basically on or off. You slightly turn the wheel and BAM....you just did a 180. Granted, these things are meant to run on snow and not grass or concrete. With what you're wanting, the only thing I have come up with is making some sort of esc controller...basically a controller for two esc's. In other words, not an easy thing. Check out http://s14.zetaboards.com/MakingTrax/index, it's a forum exclusively for tracked vehicles including the blizzard line. Granted, it's not a big forum, but it's been around for a few years and still a little active. I know there's at least one guy on there that converted his blizzard to have a motor on each side, but I'd imagine he's using a stick radio. Good luck in your quest and if you find any info....please let me know and I'll do the same!
tobyrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Buy one of these and you're good to go:

http://www.robotpower.com/products/s...n_XL_info.html

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
RCC Addict

the nomadioradios have a setting for tank mode which blends 2 esc's together for this. i dont know about other radios for sure but i believe that the 4pk and 3pk have it also, i dont know about spektrum
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Would it be possible to put a motor on each track and use a MOA style 1 esc/2 motor dig to steer it?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
MWRCA'er

Use two radios at the same time. One trigger per track.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
You know, he could set it up with two triggers like a double barrel shot gun
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #9
Just jump it!

I have a blizzard and it wold work fine with a pistol grip radio. One servo controls the brakes to make it turn left or right. Depends on how the one your looking at is set up really.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Buy one of these and you're good to go:

http://www.robotpower.com/products/s...n_XL_info.html

Narly1
This is a really good idea, as the motor are actually 24v motors, so thank you very much for this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster

You know, he could set it up with two triggers like a double barrel shot gun
Absolutely, convert 1 trigger pack to left hand setup so the wheel is out the other side, then gaffa tape them back to back, brilliant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto
the nomadioradios have a setting for tank mode which blends 2 esc's together for this. i dont know about other radios for sure but i believe that the 4pk and 3pk have it also, i dont know about spektrum
This is more the answer I was hoping for, and thanks for that, I think I'll try the 4pk idea, I am told the nomadio's extra receivers are a little hard to find in OZ, which is a shame cause I really like the look of them.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

If you are trying to convert a blizzard into two motor tank you can take a look at the 80s' (I think) version whick was called heavy metal. Pretty fugly tank but that two motor setup was bulletproof and had waaaayyyy better handling than todays blizzards.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
BTW if you want to smoothen the on off feel of the brakes just install 3mm o-rings between the brake pads. They will become much smoother and they will not get stuck instataniously when you release the brakes.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #12

In fact I am looking at building my own rc lawn mower, but what is the point of doing that when you still have to use 2 hands to operate the controller, it has got to be a trigger style to leave a free hand for the beer. ;)
Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksAX10 View Post
In fact I am looking at building my own rc lawn mower, but what is the point of doing that when you still have to use 2 hands to operate the controller, it has got to be a trigger style to leave a free hand for the beer. ;)
There is a lawnmower out that is 100% hands free! Cuts your yard for you while you sit in front of the TV http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/robomow/
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote