Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Micro Terrain Titans + Matchbox Baja Bug = Micro Monster Beetle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Micro Terrain Titans + Matchbox Baja Bug = Micro Monster Beetle

I saw the Micro Terrain Titans on T.V. and then read a post about them on another forum. The seemed to be pretty cool little desktop rc's so I picked one up. The are full function forward/reverse and turn left/right. The throttle is two speed with a turbo button and the steering is non-proportional but they are fun for $14.99. Then I was at Target and found the Matchbox Baja Bug and it looked like the body would fit on the MTT so for $0.97 I decided to give it a try.

This is what I started with.

The body pops off the MTT pretty easily with a little patience and a hobby knife and gives you this.

I did a little trimming on the bug body with a dremel, cut the front bumper off of the MTT, and glued to small styrene tabs on the sides of the chassis where the stock body attached for the Bug body to sit down on.

The RX/TX is infrared so I had a little trouble with the signal after putting the bug body on. I opened up the sun roof and I think that will fix the problem. I also added a couple coats of paint and a pinstripe.

I gotta add a few more details, put the engine back on the rear, and reinstall the windows and it will be good to go. So far I am pretty happy with the result for a $17.40 project including tax and everything.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Aren't these the same as the old Tamiyas? That looks good! I like it, but the infrared is a drawback. Do you think you could posslibly fit some Losi Micro-T electronics in there? Any clue on the size of the motor? Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious. Oh, and what happened with the last pic? They were all good until that last one.
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Aren't these the same as the old Tamiyas? That looks good! I like it, but the infrared is a drawback. Do you think you could posslibly fit some Losi Micro-T electronics in there? Any clue on the size of the motor? Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious. Oh, and what happened with the last pic? They were all good until that last one.

Yep the old Tamiyas made by Q-Steer. It even says Q-Steer on the chassis. They were just rebranded for sale in the U.S. I doubt there would be any way to fit Losi electronics in there these things are like 1/64 scale. Motor size is freaking tee niny and yes that is the technical size listed in the manual. No prob with the questions that is why the forum is here. As for the pics the first ones are digital camera and the last one is a Blackberry pic. Its what I had at the time. When I get it finished up I will get some good shots with the digital camera and post them up.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Cool, I'll have to get one and start on some mods. Can't wait to see this lil thing finished! So is it the size of say a RadioShack ZipZap (monster truck or car)? If so, I bet the motor is the same size.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah they are about Zip Zap size. They advertise them on T.V. for $24.99 with an upgraded motor you can put in and some slicks. I will be watching to see what you come up with. I want to get another one and a Monster Jam Monster Truck from TRU and see if I can make a micro short course or desert truck next.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think I could do the same to this as I am doing to my ZZMT. I am doing a motor swap, the motor is like 4 times bigger than the stock motor. I just got to wire it up and see how it does. It'd be awesome to see someone put in like a futuba esc and reciever and make a trailer for the elecs and the battery. Now that'd be an upgrade!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I got the Micro Monster Beetle finished yesterday. I am pretty happy with the results.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hahaha, thats pretty cool.
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
RCC Addict

You know if you take that to school the kids are going to want to run it.

are you going to take it to the next scaler run?
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

how does she wheel?
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks great! Is that white on the bottom white out? It looks like it to me.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Looks great! Is that white on the bottom white out? It looks like it to me.

Not white out but your right it does kinda look like it doesn't it. Its just some craft paint I had that brushed on.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
Yep the old Tamiyas made by Q-Steer. It even says Q-Steer on the chassis. They were just rebranded for sale in the U.S. I doubt there would be any way to fit Losi electronics in there these things are like 1/64 scale. Motor size is freaking tee niny and yes that is the technical size listed in the manual. No prob with the questions that is why the forum is here. As for the pics the first ones are digital camera and the last one is a Blackberry pic. Its what I had at the time. When I get it finished up I will get some good shots with the digital camera and post them up.
Q-Steer is actually a brand manufactured by Takara/Tomy. The same company that makes Penny Racers (or ChoroQ).
FLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

How well does it do in short backyard type grass? I'm always looking for something for the kids to play with so they will stay away from the Rusty VXL, for now because their only 3.

Eric
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustlerHustler View Post
How well does it do in short backyard type grass? I'm always looking for something for the kids to play with so they will stay away from the Rusty VXL, for now because their only 3.

Eric
Good for inside use, and outside concrete, but not grass. These are really small, the wheels are like the size of a dime. So unless you have golf course green grass, then no. But inside it'd work great.