Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Slash... What's the week points?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas Slash... What's the week points?

I just picked up a Slash the other day and put in a Mamba Max with a 7700KV motor. Just a few runs with a cheep 6 cell 3300 mAh pack and I have already broke the rear axle carrier. Got me to thinking.. what are the week parts on the slash that I would start swapping out? A-arms, Skid plates, ect..?
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

buy a RPM rear skid. WHEN the rear skid breaks it will break the chassis too, so this is a must buy in my opinion

after that replace what breaks with RPM parts

and the stock tires suck, get the proline switch tires.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I drive my Slash crazy hard. Ever since I put a VXL in it, the parts breakage has accelerated. VXL+3S+25T pinion=50+mph. Speed kills!

So far, I've broken or had to replace:

2 front A-arms
2 front A-arm hinge pins
Rear body mount
Front shock tower
Rear bumper
2 rear bearing carriers (replaced with Aluminum parts).
Front lower skid plate
Tires (replaced with Epic beadlocks and Switch tires.)

Due to be replaced soon:
tranny/motor/bumper mount (the part that attaches to the tranny, and then the bumper attaches to it.)
all 4 shock caps. (Even zip-tied, I've blown the caps off several times.)
Front bumper
Another rear bumper
Body

That being said, the Slash is SUPER durable. I'm consistently amazed at the amount of abuse the chassis will take before something breaks.

I'm also thinking about getting the Thundertech Outlaw chassis to lower the CG for better handling.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get big bore traxxas shocks. The caps will blow off even running the stock electrics never mind if you increase speed
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
get big bore traxxas shocks. The caps will blow off even running the stock electrics never mind if you increase speed
You can also get the Big Bor caps, or put a zip tie around the stock shock cap, that will save you alot of money.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
You can also get the Big Bor caps, or put a zip tie around the stock shock cap, that will save you alot of money.
You'll even pop the good caps off in time, shock bodies flex and end up stripping the threads over time. That's why I say just grab the full aluminum units
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have beat on my hard since getting it in March. Ran it stock until about 2 weeks ago when I installed a Mamba 5700. I have yet to break anything. Taking the mamba out and putting it back to stock though as waterproof and equal to my brother-in-laws was more fun.

My Brother-in-law has broken one rear stub axle, but that was it.
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Only thing I've replaced that broke is the output yokes with the Traxxas metal yokes, around 20 bucks. I replaced the shock caps with the Traxxas metal caps before they popped and have had zero issues with that.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

also boke a stub axle and went through 2 spurs! man that was a bad week only to have a 15t brushed motor explode on a ramp landing the next week!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default RPM or Aluminum?

So I was surfing around RC Planet and was looking at the RPM parts that are offered for the slash. There stuff looks good and the price isn't bad either. However, I was looking at some to the machined aluminum parts that STRC has to offer... Any thought? I would think that the RPM parts would have some give where as the aluminum parts wouldn't. The more built proof I can make this thing the better.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

rear hub carriers, front steering knuckles, front caster blocks, shocks, a arms, and steering bell cranks... that's what Ive broken anyway..
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
rear hub carriers, front steering knuckles, front caster blocks, shocks, a arms, and steering bell cranks... that's what Ive broken anyway..
Do you run it into anything much?
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

RPM plastics all the way, arms, bulks, skids and towers etc. I use the traxxas alloy bell cranks and casters and knuckles. I have ti tb's all around as I like the flex return of the ti without the bending, altho I replace rod ends fairly often (which is the cheaper part) alloy arms look nice but really just either bend, and as we all know aluminum never goes back into shape, or xfers the impact force into your bulkhead or tranny case and being as that's a dense block of plastic 9 of 10 will snap at the pin. I've thought of getting an aluminum tranny case for heat dissipation as I do run brushless but haven't tried one out yet.
In all seriosity tho, rpm plastics are so much better than stock and an aluminum bellcrank with bearings are the main things you need to do for real satisfaction from the slash. Oh that and when ordering a new body when your traxxas one shreds to pieces, get a Proline slayer body and just trim it right, it's nearly twice as thick lexan.
As far as suspension goes there's too many options and flavours I like aluminum threaded shocks for fine tuning and durability but you'd be pleased with just alloy caps, a few different oil weights, a few spring sets and some experimenting. You can ask 10 different people at the track what they run for shocks and get 10 different answers even if they have the same hardware.
Sorry about the longwinded reply but my slash has been so much fun and I love it. However, now that my SC10 is complete it's going to be shelved for a little while.
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Traxxas Slash... What's the week points?

It's a Traxxas!

Seriously, they are pretty tough bone stock.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Replaced Front bearing carriers, rear arms and rear carries thats it so far, and its bashed by a 9 yr old. Tuff truck I tell ya gonna get me one.
towtruckmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
You'll even pop the good caps off in time, shock bodies flex and end up stripping the threads over time. That's why I say just grab the full aluminum units
I can garrenty I beat on my slash harder than anyone, I've jumped a shop with it. I have never popped off a cap, the only time I did, it ripped the shock body in half when I clipped a Explorer wheel at full speed with my SMC 24C 5200mAh 2S lipo, VXL ESC, and Tekin 2.5 brushless motor. And at that point a shock cap was the least of my worries since there wasn't much left of the truck. I'm just giving my personal experiance, I haven't had an issue with caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
So I was surfing around RC Planet and was looking at the RPM parts that are offered for the slash. There stuff looks good and the price isn't bad either. However, I was looking at some to the machined aluminum parts that STRC has to offer... Any thought? I would think that the RPM parts would have some give where as the aluminum parts wouldn't. The more built proof I can make this thing the better.
The RPM parts are awesome, I have every part they make except the gear cover. The only one I have broken is a front A-arm from above said accident, and it only cracked, I'm still running the same A-arm. The only part I would suggest in aluminum would be a trans case, and the bell cranks. The trans case isn't really needed, but its nice if you get the FLM case becase its got the replaceable arm mounts.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #17
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I have the MM 7700 with a 8 cell 4500 pack, so far I swapped out all my arm, knuckles, pivot blocks, and rear shock towers for RPM parts, only stock parts I've broke is the rear shock tower from traction rolls. I also swapped out the sliders for CVD's never broke the originals but I didn't feel like waiting.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGord View Post
Oh that and when ordering a new body when your traxxas one shreds to pieces, get a Proline slayer body and just trim it right, it's nearly twice as thick lexan.
Funny you should say that.. My body is damn near done all ready. I have ripped a nice sized whole in it around one of the rear body posts and was looking at the Hard core. Nice body.. but they seemed to be a bit $$$ there. Gonna have to look online.

Has anyone switched out the wheels and tires yet? I have been told that I can use my eight shooter or my AX-10 BL's with the slash. I am just not sure is the offset is right. What tires are the most popular? I was looking at the Pro-line Dirt Hawg's. They look pretty sick for an all around tire. But I dunno. My socks tires are just about done. Gotta love the mamba!

Last edited by msd44; 05-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

WOW, you guys are rough on your rigs...Have a bone stock with MM and 5700kv and 3S. Rolled manytimes, neighbor ran in it in the sidewalk..the only thing that has broke was the light kit I put in. These are tough...

but will replace things with RPM
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #20

the front kingpins with the eclips are a must, other then that ive broken a front nuckle, rear skid, and thats after five months with the bl system and after being ran over by a car!
micromachine is offline   Reply With Quote