Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: poor guys SC8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default poor guys SC8

for those that have seen sc8 in person know that pictures don't do them any justice. i love the sc8 but i can't afford to buy one right now so i came up with the next best thing. i'll make one. slashes drive pretty good because of there length but an sc8 is longer. hopefully this thing will drive even better at the 14 3/4 inch wheelbase i had to stretch it to. basically i made a 1/8 aluminum chassis similar to a truggy chassis. it looks a little rediculas right now but it should fit a sc8 body perfectly. the front offset is going to be narrow so i am thinking that i am going to use the original style traxxas pede/rusty wheels narrowed and dyed black with beadlock rings added. i may try to use some axial rims if i can find some cheap. for tires i am thinking about badlands. and for a body i am going to pick up a sc8 clear body when they finnally come back in stock somewhere. the sc8 is soo much better looking than a slash imo. plan to build a full inner cage as well. heres the progress so far. still have to add rear supports, battery mount, and bend up the two side edges

any opinions? any ideas? feel free to let me know what i should change or add. thanks
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
feel free to let me know what i should add.
Ah, an Spektrum radio system. You don't want to loose control of that rockership!

Good luck.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like it!

There may be hope for my Slash after all?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

1/8" is pretty thin. I know even 1/4" 6061 at that length still has a lot of flex to it. Might want to add some chassis braces (like on 1/8 buggies and truggies). Otherwise, good start!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Very nice! I was looking at it thinking it needed an upper plate for support, then I see that you are going to bend up the sides, that should do it with the addition of the cage you mentioned. I like! Are you using a band saw to cut the Al? how are you bending the sides and such? I assume you have some sort of a shop where you can do it, but if you are doing it at home with hand tools, man I want to know!
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

the chassis is suprisingly stiff but i plan on slightly bending 1/2 inch on the sides like on man chassis. the cage i want to build will seal the deal abut some added braces for the rear are in the works. i actually did all this in the garage with a metal blade on my jigsaw. just protect the metal with tape and cut away. suprizingly easy. unfortunately i just ruined the outputs on my axial trans in my scaler and i want to upgrade it so this whole project is in the for sale section. if anyone buys it i will still build the inner cage for them. thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

ok well being the lazy biotch i am i almost gave up on this project and scrapped the chassis but this morning i woke up determined to make it happen. let me just say i am extremely happy with the way it is now turning out. i got the 3/4 inch lips bent upwards slightly on the two sides, rear chassis/tower brace bent and installed, and the new front aluminum top deck made. the chassis is more than i could have ever expected strength wise. kind of wish i would have opted for some thinner material actually. not extremely heavy. i will update the pics tommorrow morning. now if damn team associated would release more clear sc8 bodies i could get it done. not sure as to what wheels its going to be sporting yet. i want to get the body first so i can get an idea on the offset options. ohh i can't wait. i have been wanting to do this since the sc8 came out. project is not over with it is just begun. stay tuned......
Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

What is the wheel base w/ this chassis.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
RCC Addict

14 3/4 inchs at ride height. like the homo slash though the front wheels change wb as it cycles throught the suspension.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
RCC Addict

ok well i got a roller, i just need to buy some battery mounts, slash bumpers, better shocks, body, and wheels/tires.

let me know what you think/questions/suggestions other than to buy spectrum. i've got one but its in my scaler

let the pictures fly

new steering posts

had to notch top plate slightly to clear servo arm

this thing is big. next to my 1.9

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

all of this was done in the garage with very simple tools. jigsaw with metal blade, hacksaw, files, drill, and my little 4inch vice with aluminum angle extended jaws. i have a band saw, and drill press and opted not to use them. sheet metal work is much easier than tube work in my opinion. i went to a fab school but really anyone could do this with a little practice.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Turned out nice, now make one more.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

will the SC8 body fit it?
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
will the SC8 body fit it?
That is why he extended out the WB...to accommodate that body.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

yep it should fit perfectly. wheelbase is right but the offset is going to be a PITA cause the stupid traxxas crap is different front to rear but i'll work it out when the time comes. thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #16

Looks really good! If you want to eliminate the issue of the different offset needed front and rear, do a "wide-pede" conversion. It uses rear suspension arms on the front, and allows you to run the same offset front and rear. I did it to my old Pede, and it made a nice improvement in handling.
MrCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

looking pretty good
You could grab up some SC8 wheels and tires when you get the body. Therev are a few companies making 17mm adaptors.
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

That's a sweet looking chassis. I wanna make something similar when I've got my Dads sheet metal bender setup.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i thought about the wide pede but that will increase the front wheelbase slightly. might try jato front arms. i'll figure it out if Team "Ass"ociated ever gets the clear bodys back out. i wonder if proline is planning on making any bodies for the sc8?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #20
RCC Addict

arrggggggggg! i hate associated. they are never going to release the clear sc8 bodies back out. i keep waiting and waiting but they keep pushing the date back further and further. i really want to finnish up this project and get to bashing with it. i guess i should have picked one up to start with.