Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: I want a dual purpose rig whats best

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question I want a dual purpose rig whats best

OK i have a crawler and love it even if i have ha dto go 5 months and counting without it. Anyways i would like to get somethig i could bash on dirt and jump and such but still be able to run it on paved surface (just changing tires). i have looked at the slash trucks and buggies and such but i dont know which would be best (Only had my MRC) i want something that will be fast of course but i know that is mostly based on the motor and such. I would also like to stay with something 1/18 scale and run 7.2v Nihm since i have 5 already. i guess something with a suspension that could handle paved and still jump 3-4 Ft. when i want to play in the dirt. Let me know what type might fit this or even as far as brands and specific trucks. Tried to ley it all otu so you understand what i want. THANKS

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have a Slash, and while it's most fun at the track, it is also fun & durable enough to bash around in the driveway. Just pick up some used stock tires (can get 'em very cheap) and run them on the pavement, too.

You can run your 7.2 nimh packs, but I really prefer a high mah 2s lipo for longer run times.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yeah i may go lipo on my MRC sometime in the future but i have 5 7.2 packs so life of the battery prob wouldnt be a big issue unless its like 5 min or less. I have looked at the losi truck alot. I am hoping they come out with more BND trucks. What about the LST???

Cole
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMJ87 View Post
Yeah i may go lipo on my MRC sometime in the future but i have 5 7.2 packs so life of the battery prob wouldnt be a big issue unless its like 5 min or less. I have looked at the losi truck alot. I am hoping they come out with more BND trucks. What about the LST???

Cole
I have no personal experience with the LST, but I had a couple friends with them when they first came out with the Nitro LST, and they gave up quickly after too much breakage. They were decent on the track, but didn't stand up to bashing at all. I have witnesses a couple Losi Stike shourt course trucks at the local track, and I have yet to see one leave without breakage.

I really like Losi's crawlers (LCC & MRC) and I've beat on a XXX-NT for years, but I have not seen good things out of many of their other offerings....and I really want to like the Losi. My local hobby shop stocks most parts, and I'd really prefer to run a truck with that kind of parts availability. However, i can't justify a Strike due to how often the break.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i have a slash its a tank only thing ive had a porb with was a bent stub axle after a hard 5-6 foot jump on to concrete and it landed wrong, and im thinkning of getting an HPI Blitz
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
MODERHATER™

Slash is one of the best all around r/c's I have owned, plus it's inexpensive too!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Slash is one of the best all around r/c's I have owned, plus it's inexpensive too!
heck for $250 that has the slash and a good nimh battery to get going and keep you going for a while
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If I was planning on bashing at all, I'd take the Slash over any of the current short course offerings. It will simply take far more durable than any other. However, when it comes to racing, it will fall short...especially when you consider that the others are priced similiarly. The others (Blitz, Strike, SC-10, etc) are just better suited for fast lap times. However, with the Slash, you can slam it off of the wall, miss a double, etc, and still finish the race. The same can't be said about the others.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

OK i found one i like alot.
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...o7108.htm#7105
1/16 brushless and fast. how is this. what sites could i look at for used or good deals?

Cole
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

RC Universe has a bunch of Slash and similar truck for cheap. They are a great truck for anything you throw at it. We were doing 30+ feet jumps off of a skateboard ramp and rarely broke once it had RPM arms on it. I kick myself daily for selling mine but I will be getting another one.
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I am looking at a slash as well.

Cole
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec..._slash7008.htm
This is the slash. I just cant decide brushed or brushless. i think 70 more bucks would be worth just going brushless.

Cole
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Mine was 1/10 scale burshed and I converted to brushless and loved it. When I buy another one I will only buy brushless. Unless I find a smokin deal on a brushed.
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

the 16th scale revo is a great all around truck and plenty fast to.
mental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

^^ i just bought one of these yesterday. cant wait to get it. i looked at the option and the revo just seemed to fit the bill.
dgfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

yeah i have it narrowed to the 1/16th Slash or Revo. And i am going with the brushless unless someone knows of a cheaper option that can turn the brushed into brushless and provide the smae output. They seem to be the best out there in that size and speed.

Cole
Old 11-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #17

according to the guy at my LHS, if you get the mini slash, get it brushed. something about the narrower wheelbase and brushless power doesn't mix as well as the mini revo does.

i have the mini revo, and it's still in stock form... aside from turtling issues on pavement, it works really well!
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Rustler vxl
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOMHILUX View Post
Rustler vxl
Not...