Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: SC trophy truck build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SC trophy truck build

Well after seeing many other being built and videos and such I had to build one. The first one is always a work in progress so I'm sure I will build another and this one will be my son's.
I had a rc 10 pan lying around and figured it was a sturdy base to build off of and the rear was bent by the tranny mount so it got chopped. I used traxxas slash front bulkhead and front end assembly since I also had it from my other upgrades and I know that it's tough compared to stadium truck parts. I had some rc8 shocks for spares and figured I try and use them so the front shock tower is just a mock up one with a peice of alum added to the top of a traxxas shock mount and will make a alum. one peice one soon.I also need the fron body mount done which I'm in the process of doing. So that's the frontend.
The rearend started with a wheely king axle since it's wider than most to fit the sc body. I'm waiting for some hr straight axle adapters to get rid of the ugly linkage and extra bs I don't need. (can't wait) It still looks like I need small wideners if I use slash type wheels and tires but might switch to axial offset alum beadlocks I have lying around and that would handle it. I found some lower links on rcc used section which worked out well since they were about the right length and had adjutable shock mounts built in. The rc8 shocks I think will work great but I do need alot lighter springs for them and any input about that would be great. Right now I have the battery mounted in the rear section since the rear springs are to stiff but with lighter ones I will move the battery down next to trans on pass. side to greatly help with lower center of gravity. I used a traxxas trans with metal gears thats locked up hooked to a revo shaft for durability. I used all revo link ends and all thread for set up but will get upgraded later. As you can see from the pics one side of the alum. rear chassis is quite a bit wider than the other since your space limited with the trans.
For electronics I'm using a vxl bl motor for the torque and 3s ability and I will just gear it to the moon for speed. Maybe a 30 pinion and 86 spur to start on 3s. JR metal geared servo and 75 mhz fm rx for my m8.
As you can see it's still in mock up stage and I'm working on some details like hardware (Right nuts and bolts) now and will be mounting 2 spare tires in rear but unsure vertical or horizontal? What do you think? Well I'm down with as much input as possible and hope MUDDYTRUX sees this and adds input since he's the one that started the fire a long time ago when I saw him first doing his truck at the hobby shop. I will continue to post build as I go.
Attached Images

62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Smile updates

Well I did a few upgrades to the trophy truck and it's coming along.
1) I put some rc4wd alum axial offset beadlocks on it with losi desert truck tires and it solved my width issue just perfect. The rear just clears and the front sticks out a bit but with allittle camber in the travel cycle and some triming which I haven't done yet it will work fine. I still haven't finished up the body mount in the front yet so once I do that I will trim this body to fit. By the way this body is bashed so it's just for mock up and it will get a new one I have once it's done.

2) I put on the hr straight axle adapters and they look great. I'm very happy to be rid of all that linkage. What a difference look wise.

3) I mounted up a couple spares in the back and did them level and happy with it. I like how they look and it added some weight to the rear and made the rear springs droop enough I think. I also added a slash rear bumper to it which should work as a wheely bar aswell.

Next projects will be .
1) New front shock tower with the front body mount aswell and this one will have the holes in it to run the tube chassis brace thru it for extra strength. Will be 2 peice so that if I tweek the body mount the shock tower will be ok.

2) I'm going to trim and fit the hardware better and get the right nut and bolts for it so that at least whats done is right.

3) Sleeve my all thread links with brake line for looks and strength.

4) Install motor which I think I changed my mind and will run a vxl which is in my son's slash and put the 5700 mm in his since he wants the same motor as me in his slash anyways and the vxl 3500 kv motor with the mamba max speed control I hear is the set up to run and I want this truck dialed. I sent in my mamba max for repair a week ago so the new one should be here pretty soon aswell.

5) I will be working on a rear sway bar of some sort so it doesn't 3 wheel around corners to bad. Some is ok but not to much.

Help needed from the rc world!!! One idea I had for the battery is. I don't want the battery that high in the chassis for center of gravity reasons but I need the weight towards the rear to make the spring work. I thought that if I mounted 2 savage battery boxes on each side of the chassis vertical along the tub even with the botttom of the car that for one even though it's further foward since there would be 2 lipos instead if 1 nimh it should be close amount of weight to keep my ride height good and 2 it would give me a hell of a longtime of runtime with lets say 2 4000 mah lipos in parallel for 8000 mah total.
So any input on that or anything else would be great. Thanks and hope you like how it's coming. By the way it does have a good amount of travel .
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Poor gold Pan that lost it's life to this. Sorry I just like the old school pans
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default it was tweakwed

It was a bad pan in the rear section from 1 to many rearend landings so I didn't ruin a good gold pan. I have a few restored ones and know better. LOL
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

This thing is fkn swheeet.
"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

NICE! what the diameter of those tires?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default thanks

Thanks for the compliments and those tires are 4" total; on a 2.2 wheel which is about the same as a slash but wider which should help in the traction dept.
Killastang I 've always loved your projects and to have you say one of mine is nice is great for the ego.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #8

what kinda shocks are those? jus curiousty
rider762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #9

Make a video of it running. That thing looks like all kinds of fun. nice job
Kilo1alpha is offline   Reply With Quote