Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Norwegian vw split bus 1:8 scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Norwegian vw split bus 1:8 scale

Time for a new project

When I first saw Thorstein's Volksrodbus, I knew I had to get one of these bodies

I haven't got the bus body yet, but I think Thorstein will ship the body pretty soon

As allways I do a good bit of research before I start a new project, this project no exception.

First of all I wanted the 4 window model or 11w as they are called in the 1:1 world because, that's was what my late dad had when I was a baby.
My dad regreted badly that he sold the bus to a friend of his, that did not take well enough care of the bus.
The bus would have a great value today, as these becomes more expensive every year almost....

Second, I want the slammed look some of these beutyes has.
And I hope I can build a system that can mimic air bags, so I have a standard look when driving and slammed when parked up.
I will also try to build a similar suspension set up as the 1:1 ones do have.

Rigth now I don't know if the "airbags" will be powered by servos, or retracts cylinders from aeroplane, but if I get the money the second option will be best....

Have not decided the paint sceme yet, but I like the rat look stance, but with a resto like paint job.
I don't like my cars look to used, i.e worn paint, rust etc...

About this look I'm after, just that I'm doing a bus

And I think I have found the perfect wheel and tire combo
Take this ugly fly wheel...

Then cut out the center bit and throw on a set of big'n little tires..

Deep ehhhhh??

I will make the center mysel with some discs from styrene glued to the egde where the center part was cut out.
These will then look like centerline wheels or Erco as they was called on bus and buses..

Here is some erco on a bus

I gonna either use some topcad adapters or some Lunchbox hexes, prob the later one as the LB one has greater spacing by the holes, so it could be more true to the 1:1 ones.

In my hobby room I have a SRB front suspension that was ment for a vw sand rail project, but I think I gonna end up taking parts from this and adapt to the bus.
The bus uses sideways bolts on top to bolt on the front suspension vs the SRB is mounted from the bottom..

My SRB suspension

And some 3d drawings of the bus ones I found on the web to show the diffrence..

Have also found a pic of the floor/chassis, but I don't think I gonna build it so accurate..

To later ref, here are som pics of suspension set up with bags

And here is some pics to inspire me and maybe some others

And I came over this show piece yesterday, nearly the whole pick up is custom built with aluminium, only a few pars are stock.
And it has a Porsche engine it+++++++++

In the rear I think I gonna go for a IRS system instead of swing axle, to elimate all the funny angles when the suspensin mowes up and down...

And it's a bummer that I'm broke at the moment, this 1:8 Pocher Porsche had fit this project just nicely...

http://cgi.ebay.de/POCHER-Rivarossi-...item255a8f4283

In the meanwhile before I get the body I will make some drawings of rear suspension etc....

What do you guys think ehh?
caprinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

im liking this build, keep the updates coming
SEMIJOE is offline   Reply With Quote