Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Mod an SCX into a drifter or gasser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Mod an SCX into a drifter or gasser

Ok, a friend an I are going to take on a project to see if it can be done. I'm not sure if it has been done before, however, we are going to try. Both of us are huge crawler fans and with our extra parts we are going to attempt to put together a scale drift car.

We are going to start with the SCX frame and basic set up. The main thing we are going to mod is the front suspension, tranny, gearing and wheels/tires. Now I know there is more but thats the meat of it. Im starting this thread to ask for any suggestions in parts and tricks anyone may know that can make our venture a little more cost effective.

I think we are going to start with the summit tranny and I have seen a vendor on this site that just released a mount for the summit that lowers the CG, I think that would be perfect to start.

Not sure if we will keep it 4WD, dont know if the higher rpms will disrupt the axles. I figure to keep the stock Axial axles rather than my extra set of MIP's, less mass to turn. Please provide some feed back if you guys want. My knowledge is limited to my Axial SCX10 crawler and could use some advice.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i dont know much about drifting but the first thing i thought when you said axial axles is the overdrive gears other than that this should be interesting. good luck and happy building
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

Thanks... once we get started on the build I will create a thread... It will be fun, I hope it turns out how we see it in our heads! If we can pull of the drift car, we will build a 50's style drag car. That would be much easier... I'm hoping for the drifter
Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

what kind of power are you using?? you can keep it 4wd just pull out the front dogbones and you got instant 2wd, if you find you need 4wd put the dogbones back in.

pulling dogbones out wont hurt nothing either.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
what kind of power are you using?? you can keep it 4wd just pull out the front dogbones and you got instant 2wd, if you find you need 4wd put the dogbones back in.

pulling dogbones out wont hurt nothing either.
couldn't you just take the drive line out? you wouldn't have all the "extra rotating mass in the front axle... ie. spider gears and axle shafts.. then you could gut the whole axle for weight reductions.

I am curious to see how this one pans out! I have a vision of what it could be and in my mind it would be awesome! got some gears turning im my head, you might have some competition soon!
drift_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

just use the axial trans it's lighter has less rotating mass costs less and you don't need a 2 speed for drifting
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_this View Post
couldn't you just take the drive line out? you wouldn't have all the "extra rotating mass in the front axle... ie. spider gears and axle shafts.. then you could gut the whole axle for weight reductions.

I am curious to see how this one pans out! I have a vision of what it could be and in my mind it would be awesome! got some gears turning im my head, you might have some competition soon!
Haven't decided what power to use, probably going to mock it up with stock axial radio, receiver and their new esc. I think it's gonna turn out pretty cool. Gonna start in a few days. We are thinking of a flat front suspension so we can fit car bodies easier.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm not that smart on drifters, but I had one before I got into the crawlers and I like the crawlers WAY better. The large majority of drift cars are 4wd. People also use a one way front axle, meaning it only pulls in forward with no power to the fronts in reverse. Might want to think about turning the brake all the way down to zero as that will impede forward motion. Brushless with around 7 to 8.5 turn motor. Wheel speed is good. But with all that aside, you can pretty much drift anything, even an SCX-10, just change the rims and tires to drift parts and a smooth surface to run it on, instant drift. Sounds like a fun project!
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_this View Post

yes you could also do that too, just pull the front front driveshaft off. there's a few different ways you can do it i was just suggesting one of them.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
I'm not that smart on drifters, but I had one before I got into the crawlers and I like the crawlers WAY better. The large majority of drift cars are 4wd. People also use a one way front axle, meaning it only pulls in forward with no power to the fronts in reverse. Might want to think about turning the brake all the way down to zero as that will impede forward motion. Brushless with around 7 to 8.5 turn motor. Wheel speed is good. But with all that aside, you can pretty much drift anything, even an SCX-10, just change the rims and tires to drift parts and a smooth surface to run it on, instant drift. Sounds like a fun project!

I agree, Im a crawler fan first for sure... But this is more of a challenge, just to see how it performs and what it would look like. I have never tried something like this before. I cant wait to start, once I get my truggy chassis from MG200 I will begin to break down my SCX10 I use with my hilux body. Keep the ideas com'in gents!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #11

What I use to do was slide pvc over a rim instent and cheap drift tires. I know a lot of rtr's started with a 27t some even a 19t so if you have a 27t in all ready pull a tire off the rim go down to home depot and see if you can find some pvc that will work with your rim.
Jdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

This is a cool build, could work as inspiration:
http://gcmachine.ca/index.php/rcstuff/4tengasser
Stuntman Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
yes you could also do that too, just pull the front front driveshaft off. there's a few different ways you can do it i was just suggesting one of them.
If you just pull the driveline, your front wheels will still be locked together affecting your turning radius. Unless of course you pull the front locker and install the spider gears.
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #14

tried to drift my scx10 on drift wheels and tires. it swayed one way and swayed the other... then, well not to much sliding. if you had enough motor you could get it to slide.
KING_PALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Not sure on the other two, but I'd love built a rally truck with a SCX10 chassis and Proline Cherokee or Comanche body

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #16

any updates?
rodney4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

This is something diff would like to see this
brios86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #18

same, wouldnt be that hard, shorter stiff shocks, faster servo, slick tires, and more power is allways nice
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Where are those update sna d pictures man? I am really interested in seeing your progress!
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #20

Default Re: Mod an SCX into a drifter or gasser

any updates? i've been running my scx10 setup with a summit trans for over a year. i will put any tire on it i have from on road, to drift, to 1.9 to 2.2 paddles. thing is by far the best rc i have ever had. running a cheap brushless setup, it fast. and has taken more of a beating then any other rc i have had. in the 1 year of using 2 and 3 cell batterys i have broken 1 axial locker. and broke a servo before i got a servo saver. revo links are a must. no matter how you mount the trans its gona have a high center of gravity. UNless you make a differnt lower link setup then the stock scx10
akaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote