Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My 1969 Dodge Charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My 1969 Dodge Charger

I have wanted to build this for the last 5 years and never got around to doing it. I finaly bit the bullet and got the body, I then figured I'll cut a Tamiya TT01 chassis in half and use 3/4 inch or 1 inch 90 degree angle aluminum as a brace. THis rig has ben rebuilt after a few hard years of running as a rally rig, drifter and touring car in all sorts of terrain/ weather down to -20F temps with snow on the ground. I have since replaced almost every part on this, except for the old stub axles on which I cut the plastic off. Also on the rear Shaft that comes out of where the spur sits on was given the no plastic treatment. I took a hot glue gun and filled the bushings so no dirt gets in. I plan on doing a front brake/line lock so I can do burnouts. More to come on that. Here are some pictures until the next update

Rear shaft that holds the sput gear. I basically cut the plastic off that propels the center shaft.

Naked before paint and holes filled in:

After the alloy angle was painted and holed/gaps filled:

I have been working on a lot of non crawler RC's for the past few months. I think I have a million more projects to do, Well at least this one is 99% finished now. I took it out for a 2 minute spin earlier today and noticed it's way to slow, Tires need gluing, and rear diff needs a LSD treatment. As soon as you make a turn it unloads the inside tire and you scrub a bunch of speed. I's runnig a unknown ESC at the moment and I think I'll keep it this way but have to change out the motor so something a but faster. Motor on there now came off a Twin Force. I also had to add a foam block to keep the battery from sliding back and forth, which also gives me the option of tuning the handling by moving the battery around

Last edited by Gula; 05-31-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sweet looking hot rod i also like how u cut the chassis and extended it to make it fit the charger, i would like to see how u do the line lock/front brake set up.i have a slash set up for drag racing and would like to put front brakes on it
SOMD_BASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Lets see some better pics with the body on
canadian scx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMD_BASHER View Post
Sweet looking hot rod i also like how u cut the chassis and extended it to make it fit the charger, i would like to see how u do the line lock/front brake set up.i have a slash set up for drag racing and would like to put front brakes on it

You have to remember this is a AWD chassis. so all I have to do is put the front diff back in and create a band brake around the diff then I'll have line lock or on/off brakes. I think it would be too difficult to do to a 2wd slash.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

this is true i am trying to figure the disc brake rotors and calipers out for the slash,i mean it will tear the rear tires off of it as it sits but i wanna be able to do a burn out before i make a launch
SOMD_BASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You could take a servo with two long rods attached to the horn and do a "throw a stick in the front of a bicycle wheel" effect to your front wheels.

That would keep you r front wheels from rotating, but not sure if it will hold the vehicle in place. May have to move some weight up front. As long as your rear tires are not too sticky this should work.