Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: 4x4 Stampede to Slash Chassis Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 4x4 Stampede to Slash Chassis Conversion

I have seen a number of threads on converting a Stampede to a Slash, but I haven't seen any step-by-step, or how-to's, so here is my Stapede to Slash Chassis conversion build thread:
First: Why?
- I've had an eye on the 4x4 Slash, but I've never liked its stance. I decided to get a pede, but I found its shorter WB a little unstable under power. Plus, I've never been a fan of the 'Pede bodies, and I really don't like the silly looking 'water buffalo' front body mount.
- I know... what about the wheelies with the longer chassis? Eh... wheelies are cool, but if I don't have them, I'm ok with it.
- Batteries... The 'pede chassis doesn't support my 4500mha 7-cell flat packs.
The Unbuild:
I started with a stock 'Pede and added:
- Slash Chassis - $20 (E-Bay)
- Slash Center drive shaft - $10 (LHS)
- RPM Body Mount Kits $10x2 (LHS)
You only really need the front one, but I decided to replace them both when I couldn't find the body mount posts.

I seperated the front and back axle assemblies from the chassis. This really shows Traxxas' genius of design, 9 screws out and it was in three pieces. I cleaned everything up with compressed air:

The Rebuild:
Almost all of the parts and pieces went back together as they should, with two minor hiccups:
1) On the 'Pede chassis, the front screw-hole for the ESC is used as one of the mounts for the steering servo, so going to the Slash chassis I had to come up with another screw. The LHS didn't have any of the Traxxas flat screws so I used a beveled washer:

2) The two back 4mm screws for the front axle assembly ('Pede) are beveled, the screws that go in the Slash chassis are button heads. I was pretty sure the beveled screws would work, but I spent the $2 and put the proper screws in to avoid any problems.

Once I had everything back together I got the most techical part of this build, plugging everything back it and getting the servo centered.
- I got everything plugged in and powered up without the servo horn hooked up. I centered the steering channel on the radio, then I centered the wheels and put the servo horn on. A couple of minor adjustments and everything is good to go:

I did mess up though, I mounted the RX, hooked everything up and then realized that I ran the wires wrong. To get the wires in, I had to remove the RX, reroute the wires, then hook everything back up:
This is what you want to see BEFORE you peal the back of the servo tape...

The Truck:
Now I have this...

Now I need a body:
I put my 2x4 Slash body on it, it looks ok, but the tires rub on the smallest of jumps and bumps:

I needed a short course body that would allow a ton of suspension travel, so I chose the J-Concepts Illuzion BAJR body. I laughed when the guy from the LHS called me to tell me the body I ordered had come in, he said, "He man, that ugly Slash body came it, you still want it?"
So, here it is:

Prolog...
Minus the body prep and paint, this conversion should take and experienced RC'er about an hour, two-three hours for someone taking their time. The hardest thing about it was getting the back axle assembly to mate up with the chassis, it took about 10 minutes to get everything lined up properly. Other than that, this was a very easy build.
I still don't know what to call this thing, is it a Slash or a Stampede?
Thanks for looking...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links