Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Slash 4x4 Trophy Truck!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Slash 4x4 Trophy Truck!

After more than a year of owning a Slash 2wd that had almost all the major performance upgrades, I was still less than satisfied with it. So after searching the internet looking for some way to take it to the next level I stumbled across a unique build thread on ideal-rc.com.Their build detailed how to turn an ordinary RC into a long-travel, solid rear-axle, trophy truck monster. I decided this was my next step. But after careful consideration I decided to expand on their original design and build on a newer 4x4 platform. Thus began ground breaking RC fabrication of epic proportions!

After two weeks of planning I had compiled a parts list and a budget, as well as decided on my build platform. I chose the Slash 4x4 for its obvious chassis strength, simplistic design, and the huge support from the aftermarket. Soon after I scored a sweet deal on a Platinum Slash 4x4 on eBay that included new Pro-Line Calibers on P-L bead locks, an RPM front bumper, and Losi 8ight buggy shocks! The build is under way....

Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Excited to see where this is going, subscribed!!

Last edited by jaydubya2003; 06-25-2011 at 06:49 PM.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

With the parts on hand the build can take shape. The plan is to cut the Slash chassis in half and graft a solid axle via 4-link onto the rear in place of the independent suspension.

Using the 4-link suspension with longer shocks will provide tons of suspension travel just like a 1:1 Trophy Truck or dessert Prerunner.
Like this... Camburg Ford Ranger - Off-Road.com

The Slash 4x4 T.T. will use an aluminum Slash 2wd trans turned sideways to drive the front and rear end. This pic is the chassis with a mock up Slash 2wd transmission and mock up 550 motor in place.

WARNING! Those with a weak stomach look away! There's no sense having the chassis exist much more past the transmission!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That truck is going to be WICKED! I turned mine into an 1/8 rally car with some basic parts laying around.

Tempted to buy another PE Slash 4x4....
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya2003 View Post
Excited to wee where this is going, subscribed!!
umm weeing in public is bad, m'kay!
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yay for type-o's...lol
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Does anyone know of a good strong long drive shaft for the rear? It needs to mount to the Traxxas tranny and the HPI axle which has a slightly larger input shaft. Oh and be about 6 inches long.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

tmaxx 2.5 axles thats what i used on my WK..... great start
SOMD_BASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

As said above, but with the max shaft made easy mod for the tranny, same output size as axial output.
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ok, so T-Maxx drive shafts?
I looked on Tower to get an idea. I found the long half shafts T-Maxx Half-Shafts.
But I found two different sets of output yokes:
T-Maxx Yokes #1
T-Maxx Yokes #2

Which ones do I need? Oh, and I found out the Traxxas 2wd Trans has 5mm outputs and the WK axle has a 6mm input.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I already know I'm gonna have to chop and splice two shafts together, that's no problem. I think my main emphasis is on strength. The "ears" on the Traxxas Jato drive shafts I ordered look pretty skimpy, I highly doubt they will hold up to the torque of the motor I have planned. I would like to go with metal but I need to be sure everything is the correct input/output size before I place an order. I don't think I mentioned this before but I am half way around the world in South Korea and it takes about 7 - 10 days for parts to get through the mail.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

i found another thread that someone did to make a trophy truck, hope this helps

Custom Built 4-Link Trophy Truck
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

they way it looks both yokes should fit but yoke #1 i believe would be stronger ..... you gotta get this thing going so you can show the Koreans how we do this in the states
Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
i found another thread that someone did to make a trophy truck, hope this helps

Custom Built 4-Link Trophy Truck
Thanks for the link c0bra, that's a sweet build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMD_BASHER View Post
they way it looks both yokes should fit but yoke #1 i believe would be stronger ..... you gotta get this thing going so you can show the Koreans how we do this in the states
I found some more info on the yokes. According to another thread here on RCC the Maxx yokes #2 PN:4927X are 5mm and the yokes #1 PN:4928X are 6mm. Can anyone confirm?

...and don't worry I'll blow some Korean's minds with this beast! New update coming soon!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i had to go look at my wheely king to remember what i did to make this axle work its a traxxas part number 4951x which are t maxx axles and replaced the ends to traxxas part number 4628 r which are for a rustler vxl they will hook up to the transmission definatly and will also hook to the wheely king axle sorry i had to think really hard lol
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
RCC Addict

your welcome....i know its not the exact thing that your doing but its pretty close. it should at least give you some ideas on what to do
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

UPDATE
I got the 7075 Aluminum sheet cut and the holes drilled for the rear chassis. I also have all the pieces of tube cut for the cross braces. This weekend I should be able to do some assembly work to the rear end so the axle can be mocked in place. The cross braces between the two rear chassis uprights will be sticks of all-thread sleeved with Aluminum tube. The plan is to have my original battery box from my Wheely King Crawler go between the rear chassis pieces to add rigidity as well as carry the weight of the LiPo over the rear axle for preload before jumps and balance the truck as a whole.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I'm his neighbor and this thing is amazing so far. I can't wait to see this thing in action...

If I'm not mistaken, no one else has done this before. I've looked around and can't find anything quite like it.
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFalcon View Post
If I'm not mistaken, no one else has done this before. I've looked around and can't find anything quite like it.
2010 Dorkstar Hybrid
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
BluFalcon - If I'm not mistaken, no one else has done this before. I've looked around and can't find anything quite like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I know, that build is similar but his is a completely different animal altogether. His was built as a crawler with a full tube roll cage, Summit 2 speed, Axial axle, etc.

Mine could be considered blend of the Slash 4x4 with influence from the Ideal-RC.com design. My build is with only speed in mind and with a completely different design for the rear end than the link posted. Stay tuned for the rear end build update.

Last edited by Army RC Crawler; 06-30-2011 at 05:52 PM.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/323007-slash-4x4-trophy-truck.html
Posted By For Type Date
XC's Custom Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build Thread This thread Refback 02-25-2013 09:16 PM
Thread Slash 4x4 Trophy Truck! | RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board | BoardReader This thread Refback 10-04-2011 02:43 PM