Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My boat project "Lime Disease"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Talking My boat project "Lime Disease"

I had a old Wildcat boat that I got from a old man for free. I gutted all of the stock electronics because they were trashed and installed a 15t Reedy and a old Traxxas xl1. As you could imagine, it sucked. I mainly refurbished it because my nephews were bugging the crap out of me to do it. We drove it 3 times and on the last outing it was smoked. So I shelved it since last summer. Once again they started wanting to get it ot. So I figured WTH, let's build a boat.

Here are the goods:
*Traxxas waterproof VXL3s motor/esc combo
*Traxxas waterproof servo
*Flysky rx/tx
*3S 35c lipo
*Vintage Great Planes Wildcat SS
*one piece alloy cooling jacket

It came with a bunch of props, here are the three different sizes that I have to choose from...

I think I need to use the 46mm brass prop, but Im not sure. Any input on this would be great.

Im still waiting on the cooling jacket to come in so I figured Id start on the paint. I chose lime green and black with flames.
Step 1
I scuffed it up, hit it with a coat of whit, and then a few coats of green. Then I hit the tips with some gloss black.

Step 2
I used some paint masks I had left over from my SCT body.

Step 3
I painted it white again and then green again. Pulled off the masks and had these...

Im running a single rudder, but Im not sure which of these to use. I think the longer ones are for turning tighter. Im going to do some searching to see if Im right on this.

Any ideas of help would be greatly welcomed.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 07-13-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: My boat project "Lime Disease"

Here's what she looks like as of now...

I used some screen mesh in the vents, and painted up the drivers and added some chrome tape for their face shields. The top was looking a little bare too, so I hit it with some black flames to match the front.

Some gauges for a little scale touch.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That's cool! Bring back old boats with modern electronics is super fun! I have an old ABC Hobby Fighter 550 that I did the same thing but added a brushless set up with water cooling.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
That's cool! Bring back old boats with modern electronics is super fun! I have an old ABC Hobby Fighter 550 that I did the same thing but added a brushless set up with water cooling.
This one's going brushless too.

I just have to figure out which prop and how far to let it hang out of the bottom. Im not very boat literate in case you couldnt tell, lol.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

good luck man!!! my 12 yr old and his friend were trying to build a boat... i told him he needed a motor. this was before i had my rc..

so the other day when my 27T came in and ae-2.. i showed him... i used a heli TX and RX and hooked it to the ae-1, battery and 19T motor.. and showed him it worked.. his eyes lit up..

so now he wants a boat. but im thinking more of a barge style as they want a crane and stuff on it...

got to get back to that now with him...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
good luck man!!! my 12 yr old and his friend were trying to build a boat... i told him he needed a motor. this was before i had my rc..

so the other day when my 27T came in and ae-2.. i showed him... i used a heli TX and RX and hooked it to the ae-1, battery and 19T motor.. and showed him it worked.. his eyes lit up..

so now he wants a boat. but im thinking more of a barge style as they want a crane and stuff on it...

got to get back to that now with him...
Get some balsa wood and build your own. That would be simple and you can even find plans online. Just put a thin coating for fiberglass over the balsa wood to keep it water tight.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

^^^ thanks for the info... question for you...
how will you hookup those props? i know nothing about boats.. i figured for my son we could just put the ax10 scorpion trans in it (once i get my 2 speed summit trans).. bolt motor to that and run the driveshaft out and to the propeller...
Old 07-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
^^^ thanks for the info... question for you...
how will you hookup those props? i know nothing about boats.. i figured for my son we could just put the ax10 scorpion trans in it (once i get my 2 speed summit trans).. bolt motor to that and run the driveshaft out and to the propeller...
I use a coupler. Its about a inch long aluminum tube with a set screw on each end. This connects to the motor shaft and then to the prop shaft.

I also found that by using a flexible prop shaft that you reduce any viubrations in the drivetrain therefor making for a faster boat. According to another site I found and a couple guys here who commented on this in the paint section, the bottom should be finished with 400 grit sandpaper, glass smooth is a waste of time if you have to work to achieve it as it does nothing to increase speed.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Fan of wheelspeed

I ran across this flex shaft and prop in my box o stuff. I sharpened the blades some and polished her up too. Should work just fine...I hope.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Fan of wheelspeed

I guess the prop is to big. The esc thermalled after one minute of running if not less, and that was on 2S. I hooked up a 3S and Nailed it, it flat scoots, but it thermalled after only 40 ft on 3S and shut off. Maybe I need a smaller prop?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

lost me dude.. glad youre getting somewhere...
fun though....
Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
I guess the prop is to big. The esc thermalled after one minute of running if not less, and that was on 2S. I hooked up a 3S and Nailed it, it flat scoots, but it thermalled after only 40 ft on 3S and shut off. Maybe I need a smaller prop?
Perhaps setting up some sort of fan? Either the overpriced piece Traxxas sells or making up something yourself?

Could try a smaller prop, but I can't imagine any prop putting much stress on that setup.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Fan of wheelspeed

Ill try a smaller prop and then move onto some cooling fans and a water coil. The cooling jacket I bought wont fit, so Ive got a NIP cooling sleeve to sell. I was very pleased with the speed and handling, but after it shut off on 3S, I had to wait for it to drift close to the bank. Then lighting and rain started getting close, so off went the socks and shoes, and I jumped in up to my shins and saved it. Otherwise I wouldve had to wait, and with rain getting close it wouldve been sunk for sure. Made for a good laugh out of my daughter.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Fan of wheelspeed

I tried a different prop, still thermalling out in under a minute. Hopefully a cooling coil will do the trick along with yet a smaller prop.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Looks good man.. I'm building a Villain myself with twin VXL's ....
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

My boat project "Lime Disease" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project "Clampy" 1.9" Scale Yota Build 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 717 08-09-2019 05:58 AM
Project "FRANKESTAIN" or "AXIAL FORCE" mykonian General Crawlers 5 03-06-2009 11:37 AM
Project "TimberWolf" 1.9" Scale Yota Hybrid 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 53 08-14-2008 06:43 PM